Balance?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by cleanup, Jun 30, 2005.

1. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

My new iMac has a slight defect... it's Optical Out port is a little geared towards the right stereo channel being louder than the left. It's kind of annoying when listening to music. Is there a way I can fix, diagnose, or fiddle with the balance of my Mac's sounds? I figure if I tune it a bit to the left, it should fix the problem... I don't think I should return a new iMac and go through the process of reinstalling everything for such a small problem.

2. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Go to System Preferences, and in the Sound preference pane, under the output tab, there should be a balance slider. Is it in the middle?

3. cleanup thread starter macrumors 68030

cleanup

Wow. I can't believe I didn't see the Sound pane. But that did the trick! The slider was a bit to the right. Not sure why - I've never touched those settings.

Thank you! :)

While we're at it, is there some sort of keyboard shortcut for locking the computer, or at least activating the screensaver (I already have a corner spot for activate screensaver, but I'd like to assign Option-L or Command-L or some such to lock the computer/activate screensaver, like in Windows [Windows-L])?

4. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

Yeah, there have been some very weird bugs that cause the balance to shift on its own. It's rare, but it happens. Can't quite remember under what cirumstances.

As for locking the computer, I think having a hot corner for activate screensaver (like you have already) and simply throwing the mouse to the corner is the best solution. AFAIK there's no way to assign keyboard shortcuts for that. Do some googling, though, somebody might have written an app for it.

5. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

I'm living proof of the bug. Happened to me, so I thought my left apple pro speaker died, and I bought new ones. Then I was playing with the balance. *Slap*. Waste of money!

6. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

I'm curious what makes it happen, since my mac does it to me all the time. BTW, next time, do a quick Spotlight search since a search of "balance" brings up the Sound preferences. :D
    -Chase

7. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Hey my imac G5 had the same problem with the speakers so did the other machine PB15" that is running Tiger... is this a tiger bug???
    now fixed...

8. rendezvouscp macrumors 68000

Yeah, it is a Tiger bug, but I can't seem to put a finger on what causes it.
    -Chase

9. homerjward macrumors 68030

homerjward

it happened to my emac with soundsticks II's running panther. it was fine with my old speakers (a line out to my stereo) but plugging in the soundsticks b0rked the balance. no idea why really. lol took me some time to realize they werent broken...:eek:

10. MoparShaha macrumors 68000

MoparShaha

My Dad's 15" PB also has this problem under Tiger.

11. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

I know it's a reproducable bug (can't remember how), so chances are it'll be fixed in 10.4.2

12. igucl macrumors 6502a

igucl

I have this problem on my iMac G5, and it is quite frustrating. Every few days when I check the balance, it's off. Has anyone found a fix yet?

13. stridey macrumors 65816

stridey

No fix, but it's caused by moving the volume up and down quickly, so if you avoid that you should be ok.