Baldur's Gate II info please....

Discussion in 'Games' started by Zman5225, Jul 29, 2005.

1. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

For those of you that have played Baldur's Gate I and II, do you recommend that I play I all the way through or jump straight into II? I'm getting my ibook here soon and looking for a few good RPG's to play on it for on the road and stuff.

Looking for recommendations

Thanks all

Jack

2. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

I started with BG2 and didn't have a problem at all with following the game. The story is soooo involved and there are so many mini quests that you won't really miss a thing. If you just want to play 2 and skip 1 you'll be fine. One of the best games EVER!

Don't forget to tell Aerie to shut the hell up every once in awhile. This will become apparent quite soon after you get her. One of my favorite chance conversations was when I finished killing one of the dragons where 3 of my companions died and she thought it was the right time to tell Jaheira how pretty her hair is. :rolleyes:

3. floyde macrumors 6502a

floyde

I only played BGII. It's definately one of the greatest games I've ever played :eek:
    I wouldn't mind playing BG I though.

4. dubbz macrumors 68020

dubbz

Best Series. Ever.

One of many reasons why BioWare moved away from randomly triggered conversations. :p
    It didn't bother me *that* much though, since I figured it was a technical issue and nothing related to the characters themselves. There's unfortunately a few more things like that in the BG series...

As for Zman5225's question; Even though BGII is my favorite of the two, I'd play through Baldur's Gate I first, if only to experience the story from the humble beginning... unless time is an issue (because you'll be spending some insane amount of time if you play through the whole series).
    If you're lacking time, just start on BGII, since it does a nice job of explaining most of what happen in BGI. (You'll miss out on some of the backstory for your companions, a few items and some stat bonuses).

5. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

Good Luck playing BGI on 10.3 or 10.4
    just does not work...grrr
    especially since I sold the computer that could boot into os 9 to play it properly...
    BGII is so long and detailed that you really can just start with it and not miss any of the story, the plot is predictably its the gameplay that makes it good.
    I still havent managed to finish it. maybe next week when my two weeks of vacation start... :rolleyes:

6. Zman5225 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great, thanks for the replies everyone. I think i'll go ahead and pick up BGII if I can find it at a local store somewhere give it a go! If it's as long as some of you make it out to be, I won't have time to play through both of them anyways lol.

Jack

7. Dr. Dastardly macrumors 65816

Dr. Dastardly

This thread made me want to play this game again. I played it on my PC years ago but I forgot nearly the entire story so maybe I'll give it a go this time on my Powerbook. :p

But I did mean what I said to really lay into your party every once in awhile with that annoying conversation starters your party has. Some of the best moments I had in gaming were just telling off my companions. :D