Baldur's Gate II Performance

Discussion in 'Games' started by PlatinumBlade, Aug 4, 2004.

1. PlatinumBlade macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

This has likely been asked before but I didn't get much when I tried a forum search so I'm asking.

I know this title's been around a while but is there anyone else out here who has tried Baldur's Gate II with OS X 10.3.4 and on a G5 system? I've been trying to play it but between horribly sluggish performance, lockups, and total game crashes which dump me back to my desktop it is getting frustrating. And this was after I patched it. It was pretty bad to begin with but I think the BG2 patch made it worse.

Has anyone else had trouble with this game? Anybody happen to find the culprit and fix it?

A little news please sir....

2. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

I can run it within a window at 1024by768 and max settings with absolutely no issue on my computer. FPS is locked at 60. What you need to do under OS X is disable hardware 3D graphics acceleration within the Config app included with the game. This is known issue under OS X that was never fixed because there was no need. Even with the patches, it's been known that it can crash with file expections when loading and saving so save often.

3. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

BG2

Yeah. Unfortunately it isn't the 3D Acceleration. I've got that turned off for that very reason. I'm reinstalling the game right now. I'm going to try it again for a while without the patch and see how it goes. Maybe the AI settings in the config aren't quite right. I don't know how much of an impact it will have on this system but I know changing those values affected how it ran on the PC. I haven't touched them at all yet but I could always play a bit and see if it helps. Or hurts.

4. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

That's rather odd. Try getting the Throne of Bhaal expansion to see if that client update helps. Your G5 should scream on the game since it's well over 3 years old.

5. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

I know it is odd....

Yes that's what is frustrating. So far the only games that this machine seems to scream on are Quake 3 and UT2K4. Everything else is marginal and Black Hawk Down is simply awful. I know the Mac isn't meant to be a gaming machine but if they don't want to support games then they shouldn't put any out at all or provide higher end hardware like the upcoming 6800. It is like Apple is doing a half-arsed job of supporting their own system. We need better OpenGL support from Apple, more control over our video drivers, and most certainly higher quality game code coming from developers. I spent $3000 on this system and I darn well expect some performance out of it.

6. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

In your case, the problem can be easily diagnosed to your vid card. 9600 is pretty low-end but with the 6800 Ultra, it'll be very nice.

7. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

I can only hope

You may be right. After all, my PC while not the fastest or newest hardware out there, has a Radeon 9700 Pro and that card stomps all over the one in my Mac. I've never known what the performance of a 9800 is like but I can only imagine the 6800 will make things better. It has to. If it doesn't satisfy me then I'm swearing off Mac gaming for good and will build a new PC out of the latest and greatest hardware.

I'm trying to support gaming on the Mac platform but it needs to be a two way street! More power!!! :D

8. Converted2Truth macrumors 6502a

Converted2Truth

Ditto...

9. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

The funny thing is that my PC gamer friends with their top of the line systems also bitch about needing more power... :p Gamers will never quite be pleased.

10. PlatinumBlade thread starter macrumors member

PlatinumBlade

More Power

Agreed. I can't complain too much about lack of power on my new G5, what I do complain about is having access to it. I wish that the drivers for the graphic hardware were more robust like they are on the PC. I want more control over the features and options of my video card. I'm hoping I might see more of that when my 6800 arrives but I'm not holding my breath. Apple has always been more of a just plug it in and go system taking a lot of the tweaking away from the end user.

I am planning on building a new high-end PC also but from what I've read, and been advised by those in the industry, is to wait until the end of this year or early next to buy hardware. With the numerous changes on the way from motherboard layout changes, new memory types coming out, and the emergence of PCI Express on the PC platform, waiting for it to mature a bit seems the best course of action.

I just wish I was well off. I'd have an easier time trying to keep up!

11. vraxtus macrumors 65816

vraxtus

Unfortunately stock OEM cards are really not the way to go for Macs... the retail box cards have proven time and time again to be not only more powerful but more easily tweaked than Apple-provided OEM boards. I'm still... hopeful that one day Mac gaming may pick up, but after many laptops from them now I realize that if you're gonna game, it had damn better be on a desktop!

12. Sauron's Master macrumors regular

Yeah, I've heard similar advice from friends about waiting at least a few months before buying new hardware for PC. As for Apple's control of the drivers and hardware, while it is limiting, it does reduce conflicts and instabilities due to poor programming or conflicts. I'm surprised that I haven't seen any attempts to overclock the Mac graphics cards or G5's yet.