Baldur's Gate II

Discussion in 'Games' started by Daveman Deluxe, Jul 13, 2003.

1. Daveman Deluxe macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

I just picked up Baldur's Gate II and have been playing it. Not quite as good as Neverwinter Nights in terms of UI, but it's an awesome game nevertheless.

Since I never played Baldur's Gate before, I'm a little bit lost in terms of plot. Would somebody mind going over the main plot points of Baldur's Gate for me? thanks.

2. couch potato macrumors regular

what do you know. i just bought it Saturday, and got the first one from my friend. ok ok ill buy it, but they didn't have it at the computer store....anyway.

uh, i just started playing the first one, and........i guess i can't help. ok, uh.... that girl that gets you out of the cage in the beginning of the 2nd, she has been with you since basically the beginning of the first. thats all i know, since im not too far into the first. maybe ill beat it then let you know :D

but both are great games:)

3. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Yeah, Imoen refers to the fact that she has been with the main character all her life.

Will Baldur's Gate run under OSX? If it does, I'll consider getting it.

4. couch potato macrumors regular

no, which kind of sucks. i looked for an os x patch everywhere, but couldn't find one. i have a 17inch imac, so there is no boot for os 9, but it still starts up in os 9 whenever an os 9 app runs. so basically os 9 and osx are running at the same time. balder's gate still runs pretty well, although it kind of gets slow when i actually fight someone. its not really that bad.

5. VegetaPunk macrumors 6502

I will find link tomorrow but it does run under OS X I have played it and its a great game... As far as the story line goes you will learn alot more as you go, its a little confusing at first but it will all come together.

6. Daveman Deluxe thread starter macrumors 68000

Daveman Deluxe

Somehow I get the impression that BGII isn't a game I'll get bored with soon. Then again, I played EarthBound almost exclusively for five years on my SNES without getting bored.

7. job macrumors 68040

job

I'm actually thinking about buying BG2 as well.

I picked up Icewind Dale at the Houston Apple store and spent ages playing through it. Great game, although sadly, you can't import characters from the BG series. Doesn't BG2 come on 5 disks?

8. couch potato macrumors regular

four discs. i got the original along with the expansion and that uses 6 discs.

that girl that rescues you in the second, well she kind of got killed in my BG 1 game, but for some reason i haven't like failed or anything. its weird.

osx patch for BG1? that would be awesome:)

9. job macrumors 68040

job

I actually read that if you have a very fast Mac (read: anything at 1Ghz or more) the original Baldur's Gate runs too fast! Heh. I've heard the characters run at warp speeds and the overall speed of the game is insane.

10. couch potato macrumors regular

im using a 1ghz, and it runs fast :D i tried BG2, and it doesnt run as fast, so you must be right :p

11. Wren macrumors regular

Baldur's Gate II is the first RPG game I played and I really enjoyed it. I played a Mage. It got me hooked on playing RPG's. Unfortunately, Throne of Bhaal ( expansion game ) of BG2 is not available on Macs.:-(
    I did however, play Icewind Dale and enjoyed it as well. I'm waiting for Neverwinter Nights to be released for Macs. Good luck and hope you win the game!! Keep us posted.:)