Ballmer: 'iPod users are music thieves'

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by AmigoMac, Oct 4, 2004.

1. macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

First the *smart* Bill and the spyware story, that was funny :), now the "Monkey boy" ... iPod users are thieves

:mad: ...

i hope his son to ask him an iPod for X-mas, if he has not one already and daddy doesn't know :p

2. Guest

caveman_uk

This'll be because the ipod plays mp3's? Well, doesn't every player (except Sony's and they're going to) play mp3's? Even WMP on windows will play mp3's. So if we're thieves then so is everyone else.

Anyway isn't this a bit rich coming from Microsoft?

3. macrumors 68040

cluthz

Yeah, and all casette recorder and minidisk owners are thieves too.
    DRM is a bad thing! They don't allow you to backup our own music and make it difficult to put it on your iPod (or other digital media).
    They are stealing your rights to backup your own leagally buyed music.
    CD reability has already become a problem, my first cds (about 15 years old) are getting yellow spots and I have trouble playing them.
    What could i do if i don't back them up?

4. macrumors 68000

Lancetx

Take this as a good sign. Obviously the iPod is really cutting into M$' bottom line if he's going to the trouble to bad mouth the iPod and it's users publicly. :)

5. Guest

garybUK

Wow this man has children, I do feel sorry for them...

Ballmers bedtime story to his children: Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers

Oh and what do they want to be when they grow up? Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers, Developers

haha sorry, couldn't resist.

6. thread starter macrumors 68020

AmigoMac

:D :D :D ... that made my day...

7. macrumors 68030

munkle

Ballmer/MS must really be sweating on the iPod to stoop so low. And enough with the repetition of words to get your point across,

And not only is he a great public speaker but he's a joker too.

Ha,ha,ha fricken hilarious! :cool:

8. macrumors regular

Thats awsome...

9. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Quite a broad, sweeping stereotype...

But then again, when has M$ ever "gotten it" on anything?

10. macrumors Penryn

Abstract

So if MS makes their own player and music store, are their customers thieves as well?

11. macrumors 68000

5300cs

Ballmer: 'iPod users are music thieves'

This coming from one of the biggest thieving companies in the industry? :rolleyes:

Funny, I've talked to about 5 people who have actually PAID for windows. Maybe we should change it to 'Windows users are thieves'.
    Can someone find some statistics as to the percentage of pirated copies of windows out there?

12. macrumors 65816

kettle

Is that a tell tale puddle forming at his feet?

It does sound like it.

13. macrumors 6502a

The funny thing is as if M$ players are any better. They play MP3s and most of the illegal music traiding goes on on Windows machines. What I love the is double talk and saving his ass. If your DRM is so easy, why do people have problems importing protected WMAs into WMP 10? Why does buymusic.com have irregular licensing, or why does, most importantly, does nobody care about the MSN Music Store? It seems he's fighting for his music life. The future of music is in downloading stores, and Microsoft missed the target. The next field will be movies, and they are jocking to get into that early. But I guess that Apple will move into that too once all computers come with DVD drives.

14. macrumors 6502

Stewie

I find it hard to image how MS can protect music from being stolen when they can't even protect their OS or their flagship office products from being pirated.

15. macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

Some severely obsessive-compulsive people may feel the need to repeat words a certain number of times, it brings them comfort. Just thought I'd throw that out.

paul

16. macrumors G3

Counterfit

I would say that less than 1% of the music on my iPod is from something other than a CD or the iTunes store. And some of that was legally downloaded (like the two Beatallica albums :D)

17. macrumors 68020

aricher

Balmer's just a post-fratboy meathead crybaby.

Attached Files:

18. macrumors 601

virividox

Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    whatever

most of my music is legal!!!

19. macrumors 68020

Raid

Man, I think I remember the day's when people used to be called on their rhetoric... he's making a general statement about a group of people using a specific product. It's not that his statement is without merit in some cases, but it certainly doesn't apply to one product.

He's using these comments to try and pump up microsoft's DRM system... it's a lost cause and he knows it, but he won't collect his muti-million dollar bonus this year if he gives up. From a security standpoint, it doesn't matter if a DRM is proprietary or not, it will be cracked in a matter of months anyway. What matters is that no one company should dictate the use of a good or service that was legally purchased; and instead of being told that stealing music is wrong, how getting the labels to defend their pricing and costs?

20. macrumors 68000

Stupid Stupid Monkey Man.

21. macrumors 6502a

fistful

What would Jesus say? "Who cares!"

22. macrumors 65816

rueyeet

"Most people" still steal music. Well, hmmm. Most people use Windows, too. I take it the pre-iTMS presence of DRM technology in Windows didn't accomplish squat, then.

His observation should probably be amended to, "The most common format of music on a Windows computer is 'stolen'." (an observation borne out by nearly all of my Windows-using friends and acquaintances).

23. Moderator emeritus

sushi

Good point! If DRM has been in Windows for years, what have they done with it? Squat from what I can see.

So many Windows users that I know will say, "Why should I pay 99 cents for a song on iTMS when I can DL it for free?"

Sushi

24. Moderator emeritus

sushi

So true!

If you say something enough times it them becomes reality.

Sushi

25. macrumors 68000

:eek: Does that really work??

I have some things I want to be reality....off to mumble to myself!

:)