Ballmer: No sleep lost over Linux

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by garzy, Apr 28, 2003.

1. MrMacMan macrumors 604

Jul 4, 2001
    1 Block away from NYC.
    I like this interview...

80 page licensing agreement, hehe.

I'd sure like to see that study...

okay I finished the article, what can I say he is trying to sell you into Xbox and windows server 2003.
  2. conceptdev macrumors regular

Nov 17, 2002

Indeed you have figured out how to rape boxen and extort people around the globe in more innovative ways.

Fat Stinky Sweaty Lying Pig Man.
  3. Kid Red macrumors 65816

Dec 14, 2001
  4. Macpoops macrumors 6502

Jan 15, 2002
    Favorite Quote from that: "Linux is a clone of a 20 year old operating system thats what it is."

This works on So many Levels.
    1. Windows is a clone of the 20 year old Mac OS.
    2. OS X is based on the same 20 year old OS.
  5. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    That's like being down on my VW TDI because diesel engines were invented over 100 year ago...

"it's a clone of a century-old engine."
  6. maradong macrumors 65816

Mar 7, 2003
    lol .)
  7. applemacdude macrumors 68040

Mar 26, 2001
    Over The Rainbow
    he needs a big fat bitch slat:p
  8. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    Gorgeous, WA
    This guy is so totally full of **** it's almost unbelievable (except he is a CEO).

This is just one example, and it's not even Linux-related.

If you havn't read the article yourself, let me give you a synopsis:

What are the advantages of Windows Server over Linux?
    Well, Linux doesn't have a megolithic corporation behind it.

Then, why do so many servers use Linux?
    Because we havn't marketed Windows Server enough.

Lots of servers use Linux instead of Windows Server. Why?
    Because they specialize in Linux. Some people have been using Windows Server.

So, if you could give us a rundown of the advantages of Windows Server over Linux, what would it be?
    Linux doesn't have Microsoft behind it. We believe this is to our advantage. Some people think not having a megolithic corporation behind Linux is an advantage. We don't think so.

Because Windows Server has Microsoft behind it.

And why is that an advantage?
    Well, obviously, Linux does not have a corporation behind it. Who will you go to with all your Linux woes? Not a giant corporation like Microsoft, that's for sure. You can't even ask IBM, because apparently, IBM didn't write Linux.

Did I mention that Windows Server has Microsoft behind it? Did you know...if the guy who writes the kernel for Linux decides to start doing acid and hookers, no one knows who will develop it afterwards? Scary, isn't it?

It pretty much goes on like this for virtually forever. Never once does he address any actual advantages of Windows Server over Linux except that Linux is community based, and Microsoft disagrees with the entire Linux community by saying that NOT having Microsoft or a similar corporation behind Linux is a bad thing.

"Well, they're wrong, and we're right, and that's why we're better."

I challenge anyone to find any concrete comparison between Linux and Windows Server that shows an advantage in the software as opposed to the corporate image in this interview.

How lame. I don't even use Unix/Linux (unless you count OS X, which one wouldn't) and I am offended by this interview. Balmer sucks.
  9. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

Jul 23, 2002
    Jobs' Spare Liver Jar
    You sort of have to feel sorry for him; he's defending the indefensible.

It's kinda like the Iraqi Information Minister; he's full of crap, sure, but you can't blame him because there's no positive argument he could make, so he just makes s*** up.

Hell, if a company paid me 10% of what he makes a year to push heroin to schoolkids, I'd be singing the praises of smack and coming up with cartoon heroin heroes and heroines (pun intended).
  10. BaghdadBob macrumors 6502a

Apr 13, 2003
    Gorgeous, WA