Baltimore Internship...where should I stay???

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by uspcommuter, Apr 2, 2006.

1. uspcommuter macrumors regular

Hello y'all,

I previously posted on going to alaska for an internship, but things fell through and I got an offer from Johns Hopkins University Hospital for a summer internship. Woohoo!!!! So the first question is where should I stay.

I am currently living in the lovely city of philadelphia. (specifically chinatown/center city if anyone knows where that is) I am looking for a one bedroom apartment that is 15 mins walking/metro distance to Johns Hopkins Hospital. So, what area should I stay in? I am not familiar with the neighborhood so please explain wheres what and so on.

Next, is what do you recommend to do in baltimore on days off?

I think thats it for now. If you need more info to make a suggestion, just post what you need. Thanks in advance all.

2. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Will you be at Bayview? Also, it sounds like you don't have a car. And last, what do you like to do.

There is a Metro stop at the main hospital (not Bayview). I would suggest not living too close to the hospital...not the safest of neighborhoods. I would probably reccomend living somewhere closer to the inner harbor. Or if you are willing to ride the metro a little longer, move out into the county - your loss will be the city atmopsphere.

Why do I suggest the inner harbor - lots to do. O's games are fun and never sell out. You can get tix for a pretty good price ($8/Tuesday,Free with Wendy's combo meal/Wed, $5 student/Friday). Plus, we have a handful of museums and such. The aquarium is an amazing place - I love it there. I used to go study at the Barnes & Noble on the harbor (don't really study anymore...:)). If you prefer to drink and will be going and coming from the hospital during the day, you may want to consider Fells Point. It's got plenty of bars and nightlife, but you would have to walk to the hospital. Another neighborhood to consider is Federal Hill. It is on the south side of the inner harbor and a pretty nice area. A bit of a crime problem, but not too bad. There are plenty of apartment buildings scattered around downtown. For ease, you may want to check out Southern Management. Not the best or easiest to deal with, but they manage a ton of properties.

I know that my grammar and style are way off in this post, but I have a really uncomfortable chair at work. It makes me unhappy and shuts my brain down.:eek:

3. iGary Guest

iGary

Days off?

Hrmm...

Annapolis/Washington/The World is your oyster.

I have a friend who is the LAN Administrator up there at JH.

4. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

Don't forget that there's 5 after 5 at the Aquarium during the off-season...basically $5 tickets after 5PM on Fridays. Screamin' deal!

5. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

Just to reiterate, it is not offered during the summer - it's only offered during the non-tourist late fall to early spring season. In season they make enough to not need to offer it - so unless you come back or pay significantly more, you'll miss it (at some point, you have to go - it is that good).

6. uspcommuter thread starter macrumors regular

Hey NBS2 thanks so much for the suggestions. But can you tell me wheres what? b/c I have no idea where fells point or inner harbor is located at. And yes, I will be working at JH Main (near patterson park I believe) and yes I visited my friend who works there as well....as you pointed out, it doesnt look very safe and I am from philly for crying out loud.

As for location, I really do need to be some what close to the hospital (20-30 mins on metro is still good). But I would like to be close to a metro stop that can get me where I need to go thats all. Unfortunately, I dont have a car and that will probabley not change so I will need to stick with the metro. Also, I really don't go clubbing too much...but a pint of Guinness is good for the soul. Given the new info, is there any other suggestions? I really dont mind riding on the metro longer if it means i can be at a better location.

Oh and also I found an ad for an apt near Balt. General hospital. The price is reasonal. Its in an area called Mt. Vernon. Any idea on the safety of the neighborhood?

Thankyou all in advance....if my message is not coherent I apologize b/c I am still recovering from the flu. Good night.

7. floriflee macrumors 68030

floriflee

It would probably be best to take a look at a map of Baltimore. Google maps might be good. I also found one about the various B'more neighborhoods. A map of the Baltimore metro would also be helpful. Whatever you do don't live in Cherry Hill. That would just be bad all around. Inner Harbor, Federal Hill and Fells Point are all part of the downtown Baltimore region. Downtown has pretty decent access to the light rail and busses. Mount Vernon, from what I remember, is kind of a shady area, but the hubby (nbs2) should confirm that.

8. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I think Mt. Vernon sounds ideal for you. The closer you are to Charles St., the more you will enjoy your time here. You aren't too far from the inner harbor, but you still have a pretty nice neighborhood. The map that Lori linked to is from Live Baltimore - that is a pretty good site for getting basic questions answered about the town from people that know it really well. The crime map that I suggest you use is here. It isn't the most accurate, but it isn't bad. I do like the Mt. Vernon/Charles Village area. There are a lot of nice places to eat on Charles and the homosexual population tends to be much more concerned about cleaning up after themselves - Baltimore has a serious problem with people being lazy, so not having chicken and fish bones on the ground is good for being eyepleasing and sanitary. :)

As for where things are, the easiest way to understand Baltimore is to understand that the inner harbor and Charles St are your havens. Stray too far and things get nasty quickly. However, you know you are in Bal'mer when the is plywood within 1/4 mile of where you are. But, the inner harbor is easy to spot on any map of Baltimore - it's where the harbor comes deepest into the city. Just to the south is Federal Hill and Otterbien. A couple blocks west is Camden Yards. Just to the north is Mt. Vernon and Charles Village. To the south-east is Fells Point (south of the hospital). That should give you the basic orientation that you will need for when you arrive.

A couple of thoughts - grocery stores are not common in Baltimore. You will need to take the Metro out to suburbia for that. I don't know the Owings Mills stop and it's area, but I can't imagine it would be too difficult. I'm sure there are places that are closer, I just don't know them. Also, B-more is pushing the urban renewal thing. That means that safety is always subject to change. But generally for the better as poverty and crime pushed further East and West (but still inside City limits where juries are kinder, welfare is more funded and the death penalty is never pursued) while $$ comes in along the North South axis.

Anyway, if the place in Mt. Vernon sounds good (take a weekend and check it out - there are a lot of older, kind of crappy, apartments because that historic preservation crap), go there.

I'm rambling, so ignore watever you want. If you are just looking for the occasional pint with your co-workers, you may think about living further out in Baltimore County either by OM on the metro or up in the Timonium/Lutherville/Towson/Hunt Valley area along the Light Rail - just be prepared for the boredom that comes with suburbia. Sometimes you will find nice stuff out there too. Actually, on a slight tangent, the North Baltimore area may be more your style. Tends to be a bit nicer, has university (Towson State and Goucher) culture, and there is an Apple store in Towson at the Towson Town Center. Of course commute time goes up...

I know I keep throwing out more things each time I try to answer your questions. I apologize for that. I used to live in downtown B-more and whenever anybody talks about moving there for however long or short a time, I tend to try and give enough info for someone who is planning a permanent move.