Ban City?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by Abulia, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abulia macrumors 68000

Abulia

I've noted a number of users (at least 5) getting banned in the hardware forums -- a pretty normal place by most accounts where people stay OT and tempers don't flare up often -- within the last 24 hours.

It always begs the question as to what's going on? Are these the same people being re-banned for circumventing a ban?

As a poster, I'm always nervous that when someone was banned (they just disappear) that they -- I presume -- got heard out and a fair shake. Although I don't try, the prospect of logging in one day to find out that I've been unceremoniously banned for some reason that I didn't intend is a little disturbing.

So mods, give me a hug and tell me everything is okay. :)

2. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

long term users are rarely permanently banned.

Warnings are sent, and people can be temporarily banned for short periods of time (1 week or so) for more serious infractions.

Lifetime bans are for recurrent problems, can't follow the rules repeatedly.

New accounts made for spam, on the other hand, are perma-banned immediately.

arn

3. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Woo hoo!

*thinks up something silly to do but then gets scared anyway*

4. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I was banned for 24 hours for saying a sentence that could be misunderstood to assigning another member as an idiot.

To another dansih member, I wrote: "Fedt sagt, men husk aldrig at diskutere med idioter."

Which in English means: "Nice said, but remember never to argue with an idiot." This was a quote from the Dane's signature.

Some people could assume I was referring to the member he was discussing with, at a level hotter than most MacBook's.:D

Anyways, I'm not trying to play innocent, and I really believe this is a good idea, since it makes people understand, that indirect insults also are punished. I feel that the ban tought me a lesson. I should take more care of what I say, since it may be misundertsood, and I'd like to apologize for anyone offended/annoyed by my Dansih.:)

BTW, I finally finished my Englsih essay during those 24 hrs.:p

BBTW, I think FragTek and Kevin.Rivers learned their lesson. Let them back in.;)

5. Jomoma macrumors regular

Jomoma

Interesting. I always wonder what people did when I see banned under the name.

6. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

It's pretty simple. If you don't follow the rules, you're warned, and in extreme or recurrent situations, you're banned. Only a few people are banned permanently and that's usually because they didn't want to work within the rules. Creating multiple accounts and directly insulting other members are other good examples.

7. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

I didn't follow the rules (can be discussed whether or nor I did), but neither was this an extreme case. Temporary bans can also be used as warnings. As in my case.;)

8. Doctor Q Administrator

Doctor Q

Staff Member

General guidelines (not directed at any particular member):

A status of "Banned" may be permanent or temporary (a "time out"). The member in question knows which, although the forum display does not distinguish.

If any member has questions about why a moderator took action in response to their posts, they should contact us privately. If they are serving a temporary time out they can wait until it is over or they can email webmaster@macrumors.com. If the ban is permanent, the only acceptable means to contact us is by email to webmaster@macrumors.com. Reregistering to ask about or protest moderator actions is a violation of forum rules.

If you have questions about why another member was banned, you'll have to keep on wondering or find a way to ask them privately yourself, because we will not give out that information. Since posts with serious rules violations are removed by the moderators, a member's last remaining post is often not the cause of a ban.

The number of banned members fluctuates month to month, but over the long run it is a small percentage of the number of total members and the percentage probably doesn't vary much. One good trend: Since last year there has been a noticable drop in new members joining to promote pyramid schemes, with a corresponding drop in the number of bans related to that problem.

9. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

Maybe those on a temp-ban could have their status read "In Time Out".

Or maybe just a picture of Calvin in a corner with a dunce hat on. :D

10. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

I got banned for a week! calling some people on a thread pricks.

I still meant it.

11. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

It's only a forum, best to just keep your mouth shut and let it pass.:)

I do think "time out" would be better then "banned" for the short term offense.

12. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Obviously. Take some time before posting when you feel that way. Sometimes, the best thing you can do is to quit the browser.

13. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Very true. I just had to high of expectations. I was told how helpful and great the Mac community is. So I was looking for answers about Matte and Glossy screens because I didn't have a single clue... and it was like I asked came in screaming I love eating babies and i'm pro choic, and i hate immigrants... it was insane... So i ended up getting no friendly help and having to figure out what is best... Was I wrong though, Yes

14. relimw macrumors 6502a

LOL, that's what got me timeout'd, which really ticked me off cause it was in the middle of a hurricane and I had nobody else to talk to...
    It did teach me to stay out of the religion/politics area though. Not like my opinion actually counts in there anyway :eek: :D

15. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Can temporarily banned members still see the site as guests or is their IP logged?

To be honest, I'm pleasantly surprised I haven't been banned yet. I guess there's always tomorrow...

16. arn macrumors god

arn

Staff Member

temp banned people can still read the site, just can't participate.

arn

17. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Consider yourself lucky. You could have been one of the people banned right before WWDC or MacWorld SF. ;)

18. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

What? You've stated your opinion 18.000 times here, and you were never banned, for even a day?:eek: meh, it's cool:D

And yes, you can view the site while banned.

19. Queso macrumors G4

Do you actually have a tomorrow? I get the impression you never sleep ;)

20. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

mkrishnan

It's a good thing you can still read his response during your one day timeout!™ :eek: ;) :D

I think the system here works well, FWIW. :)

21. relimw macrumors 6502a

Actually, that wouldn't have been so bad. Hurricanes tend to force you to stay inside with your family :eek: :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.