ban on the word "rights" for radio station

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by zimv20, Nov 20, 2004.

1. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

link

the emboldening of the anti-abortion forces continues...

2. dotnina macrumors 6502a

You've got to be kidding me.

"Reproductive rights" and "reproductive health" aren't interchangable phrases! You go to your doctor when you're concerned about your reproductive health, and you go to Washington when you're concerned about your reproductive rights.

I am too annoyed to even venture into an explanation at this hour.

3. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Talking about Human "Rights" is pretty dodgy, too. You might give the impression that you support them.

4. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Of course it's a euphemism for abortion. Give me a break. Both sides of the argument use code words and euphemisms to talk around controversial subjects like abortion (and I think this plays into the discussion we've been having lately about how different parties "frame" the issues).

Having said that, it seems kinda lame that the radio station did this, unless the station manager was sincerely worried about repercussions from the FCC.

5. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

It can also cover contraception. Some sects of faith think that all sex should be for procreation and aren't supposed to use contraception. It doesn't just cover abortion. It also covers use of the pill, the morning after pill, depro prevera and all forms of birth control.

Sometimes I wonder if the religious conservatives will go after contraception if they ever completely win the war on peoples right to have an abortion.

6. radhak macrumors regular

really? i am not so sure. an euphemism is only so when it means exactly one thing, and nothing else. 'sleeping with' is a euphemism for sex, and cannot be used otherwise without qualification. ( eg, 'I slept with my daughter' is amenable for dangerous interpretation, so it needs qualification with 'I slept with my baby daughter', and even then it could raise eyebrows :rolleyes: ) . 'Reproductive rights' is more an issue of contraception than abortion in many european countries; and like somebody listed out earlier, it does cover a far more comprehensive list.

In the quoted scenario, it's just an instance of somebody trying to impose their personal prejudice by splitting hair with that phrase.

7. emw macrumors G4

emw

Yes, and Human Rights is a euphemism for euthanasia.

Reproductive Rights is about a person's right to control reproduction - either to enable reproduction, prevent undesired reproduction, or prevent forced reproduction - as well as one's own reproductive system.

8. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

And also to prevent forced sterilisation and, ironically, forced abortions.

9. zimv20 thread starter macrumors 601

zimv20

following, forced sterilization and a government mandated baby, done in a healthy manner, would both be examples of things permissible under Reproductive Health.

10. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

As long as it's a healthy procedure or a healthy baby!

11. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Am I sensing a 'Healthy Fetus Initiative' coming our way?