Bands putting Macs to good use.

Discussion in 'Community' started by Taft, Apr 3, 2003.

1. Taft macrumors 65816

Taft

Last weekend I went to the Metro in downtown Chicago to see The Sea and Cake. They are a rock/pop/jazz type band that is originally from the Chicago area, but now tours the country regularly.

Anyway, their keyboard player used a Mac for his setup (which was quite sophisticated, I might add). And he was looking at it throught the whole show. It seemed like an integral part of his music.

Also, a warmup act for the show performed with nothing but an iPod for backup. It was just two singers dressed in suits. In between songs one of them would pick out the next song on the iPod and strat the next number. Kinda weird music...but alright, I guess.

Do you guys have any Mac sightings relating to the music world? I have to think that more bands use computers on stage these days. Let me hear about it!

Taft

2. medea macrumors 68030

medea

That's cool that your into the sea and the cake, a lot of electronic groups use macs like the whole Tigereat6 collective of Kid606, Cex, Lesser, Matmos uses them as well as autechre, and bjork is a big mac supporter, so are radiohead. I don't think bjork or radiohead use them onstage though.

3. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

4. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

5. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

Artists I'm into that use macs with logic, Protools or both :

Trent Reznor (NIN)
    Brian Transeau (BT)
    Hybrid
    Linkin Park
    Dave Angel
    Moby
    The Chemical Brothers
    Roni Size
    DJ Rap

... loads more too, just can't be bothered thinking of them right now or digging out music tech magazines from the past 9 years to job my memory :p

6. evoluzione macrumors 68020

evoluzione

down the road, that's where i'll always be
    Jake Wherry, a.k.a. The Herbaliser, uses Macs and Logic Audio Platinum, well, I know he used to when I knew him about 3 years ago.

7. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

yeah. radiohead rules. if you put this into simpletext and start the speaking at the same time as the song, it syncs exactly. haha!

8. howard macrumors 68020

howard

macs are all over the place in the music scene.

all those big shows big production things...you can be 100% sure there are macs backstage controlling all sorts of things. when i read articles about what people use onstage for big shows its usally a few powermacs and software like dp3 or logic.

9. iGav macrumors G3

Underworld use a couple of Ti's on stage
    Michael Stipe uses a Ti
    Midge Ure uses a Ti
    Curve use Mac's...
    As does Jack Dangers

We had a thread on this months ago, got quite a list of bands going!!

Wicked!

10. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

3rdpath

2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    many, many bands use macs but you may not see them onstage...its quite common to have the rigs under the stage( usually two identical systems running in sync...just in case one craps out). U2 has run a setup like this for eons.

re: radiohead... "hail to the thief" is amazing. just freakin amazing.

11. shadowfax macrumors 603

shadowfax

sorry if i am overly OT too.... "Hail to the Thief" is one of the best radiohead albums i have heard. they are going to come out with some utterly amazing stuff this summer when it hits stores. it's a beautiful, beautiful album. i can't stop listening to it, since i got it on thursday or so off some italian site. i'll be the first in line to buy it when it comes here to austin :D

12. howard macrumors 68020

howard

yes the radiohead album is awesome...HOWEVER keep in mind that the leaked version is not the final mix...its an earlier version.