Bandwidth Division With A Carracho Server

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by ArtMan617, Jul 30, 2002.

1. ArtMan617 macrumors regular

I run a Carracho server (feel free to check it out...it's called ArtMan's Spiffy Server) off of my cable modem's connection. However, the computer running the server is only one out of 5 or so that are networked throughout my house (they're all sharing the connection) and so when I run my Carracho server it always hogs the bandwidth and I can't really do anything else on the internet (well, it's slower than 56k...). Does anyone know of a program that will allow me to limit the amount of bandwidth that Carracho will take up and then make sure that the rest of it is sent to the other computers?

-ArtMan617

2. topicolo macrumors 68000

topicolo

I'm not sure about the bandwidth limiters, but I'm pretty sure that the fact that you're getting such slow speeds is because the downloaders on your server are hogging all of your upstream bandwidth. If you can free up even 5k/sec worth of upstream speed, you'll be able to download MUCH faster (probably at your rated full speed). This is all because of the way TCP/IP connections require acknowledgement packets sent from you to the server and when server doesn't receive them because of your lack of upstream bandwidth, it thinks you're getting lots of errors and it slows down its transfer rate to you.
    Yes, it's useless info :D

3. ArtMan617 thread starter macrumors regular

Sadly, the computer that I'm running the server off of (an old Powermac...it's pre-G3) is OS X incompatible, so I need software that will run in OS 9...unless I can run the software from another computer and have it affect the server...

-ArtMan617