Bandwidth Monitoring

Discussion in 'macOS' started by simontarr, Oct 5, 2006.

1. simontarr macrumors 6502

simontarr

Hi All,

I'm just wondering if there is a bandwidth monitor widget that doesn't reset itself on a reboot. I feel like I've tried hundreds from the Apple widget download page, but all reset themselves.

It's not vital that I know how much bandwidth I use as I've got unlimited broadband, but it would be interesting to see how much I get through in a week/month/year.

And before I go...
    Is there a monitor that will allow you to view the bandwidth on an IP address you specify? I want to be able to monitor all traffic coming in and out of my router, but I can't find an App that does this either. All they monitor is my local IP address 192.XXX.XXX.XXX (Specific to my iMac). I have a static IP address with my broadband so can I monitor traffic flowing through that? Or would I just need to monitor the routers network and/or broadcast address?

Hope someone can help. Thanks in advance.

2. nakedguy macrumors member

nakedguy

That would neat... Like if iStat had something like... Kept track of the how much you dl/upped in the current session and the real total you've downloaded.

3. Jimbo Slice macrumors member

Well its been almost 3 years, does anyone know if there is an application that allows me to see the total bandwidth that goes through my router or cable modem?
    These Bandwidth caps just got formalized :( 20GB per month is a crime

4. Jimbo Slice macrumors member

Thanks dukebound85, I already got that app but its a bit limited, it doesn't break down bandwidth usage by application and it also doesn't differentiate network bandwidth (e.g. me sharing a movie with my roommate through the shared drive) and internet bandwidth (me downloading the movie from iTunes).

Anyone know if there is anything else that has these capabilities? Or what router that is fairly affordable can support these features?

5. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

if you want to measure the bandwidth that goes out from your router/modem, you have to have the monitor ON your router/modem and monitor the public interface (WAN), hence it's independent from OSX.

Which modem/router do you have ?

6. Jimbo Slice macrumors member

I have this model Belkin N Wireless Router (F5D8233-4)
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=470939291&pf_rd_i=507846

Unfortunately I don't think it has a monitor function, are there any other ways that I can monitor this because on my home network I have three Macs, a desktop PC, XBOX 360, PS3, an iPod Touch as well as an iPhone which goes on WiFi fairly frequently.

My last last resort is to change routers as I recently got this Belkin one and at that time, bandwidth monitoring was not a feature that I needed, now that my ISP has formalized this cap, it would be real handy.

Thanks for the help!

7. Tex-Twil macrumors 68020

Tex-Twil

I think that getting a router that has such a feature would me the better solution but I understand that you don't want to get a new one.

You could also turn your Mac into a router/access point and connect all other network hosts via your mac. Your mac would be then connected to the internet and would be sharing the connection. The inconvenient of this solution is that your mac has to be switched on when your other hosts need internet.

Finally, I know there are some devices that you plug with a RJ45 (network) cable between two network hosts and it will display the instant bandwidth. You could plug one of these between your router and your ISP. But I somehow can't find the correct Google key words to find some :)

Tex