Bandwith Limit on a Mac

Discussion in 'macOS' started by carduser22, Nov 20, 2006.

1. carduser22 macrumors newbie

I have heard that computers have a bandwith limit (how much data they can accept at once through the internet).
    Does anyone know the bandwith limit for a 700Mhz G4 eMac?
    I am wondering because I am looking to download several large video files from Google and/or some other video site(s) and want to know the limit, if I upgrade my cable modem to 10 MB download speed.
    Any answer, or direction to where I can find answers would help, thank you.

P.S. Does bandwith limit have anything to do with memory on my computer?

2. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

3. bigandy macrumors G3

bigandy

This depends on how your computer connects to the modem - is it AirPort or Ethernet (cable)? If it's AirPort Extreme, the limit is 54mbps, if cable, the limit is 100mbps on the eMac.

You've nothing to worry about - there are very few internet connections in the world that can exceed either of those. Remember, however, that your internet connection won't be a guaranteed 10mbps - it's likely to fluctuate due to the number of people also connected in your area, so you'll probably regularly hit between 5-8mbps.

How completely off topic.

4. Cromulent macrumors 603

Cromulent

Bandwidth limit is something that is determined via your ISP and has nothing to do with the computer.

For instance I have an 8mbs (megabits per second) ADSL connection to the internet with a 40GB bandwidth limit. This is from my ISP and has absolutly nothing to do with my computer at all and would be the same if I used a PC / Mac / Cray Supercomputer whatever.

If I download more than 40GB (very possible) then I need to pay an overage charge to my ISP. As you can probably tell I am capable of downloading far more than 40GB of data within a month but am limited by my bandwidth limit.