bang for buck laser printer

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by JES, Sep 22, 2004.

1. JES macrumors member

Hi All,

I'm looking for suggestions on a laser printer. I want quality, decent-speed and low-cost black and white text printing, not a ton of features.

I'd like to consider cost per page, and not just initial purchase cost (though of course I'd rather pay less than more). I'm still fond of my trust HP 6mp, but would like something newer and with (if possible) cheaper media for the office.

Thanks.

--JES

PS -- I'm in Canada

2. Mechcozmo macrumors 603

Mechcozmo

Try the HP1500 LaserJet (??) I think it is called. We have one, it is great. I am just too lazy to get up and look at the exact name. It is the only 1500 Laser printer that HP makes.

3. cerfsud macrumors newbie

i have the hp laserjet 1012 and love it. it's tiny, smaller than most inkjets, incredibly fast first page out (never timed it, but has to be under 10 seconds), great quality, the drum assembly is built into the cartridge so you don't have to worry about paying $150+ to ever replace that (the cartridges themselves run around $50, though).

i highly recommend it. it hovers around $170 at newegg.com.

4. vkapoormd macrumors member

another vote for the HP laserjet 1012; i just got one-and absolutely love it. It's good for small volume jobs (less than 5000 pages / month), light, and compact.

5. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

If you want something that'll chew through paper by the case, there's always the HP 9000.

But the HP website is well organized, if you look at the low/med/high-end printers -- you should be able to take a look at the toner cartridge (cost & life) and see what the cost of the maint. kit is (usually every 350k-500k pages).

Of course the more expensive printers with the real low cost of toner will usually have cartidges and maint. kits that cost between half and the full cost of the cheaper laser printers.

But the toner catridges last about 30k pages.

And the really big boy HP Laser printers have 50k page toner cartridges...

But take a look at the cartridges, the availability in your area, then look at the printers that run them...

http://www.hp.com/sbso/product/supplies/compatchart.pdf

6. aus_dave macrumors regular

I have a Kyocera FS-1010 and it is has never missed a beat. The cost per page is very low as the drum lasts for (allegedly) the life of the printer, or 500,000 pages I think.

Only the toner needs to be replenished and not the drum as well, which minimises ongoing costs. Kyocera as a company seem to be quite strong in promoting eco-friendly solutions.

It also works nicely on an Airport Express as a network printer :cool:.

7. JES thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for all the replies so far! Please keep 'em coming.

Best,
    --JES

8. JFreak macrumors 68040

JFreak

best bang for buck would be to keep using your old laser printer until it breaks or one cannot get replacement toner cartridges anymore. you can only save so much, and clearly the initial investment of a new printer doesn't cut it... if you WANT to buy a new one, that's another story, but you certainly don't NEED to buy one, if your goal is saving money ;)

granted, 1200dpi looks better than 600dpi, but not that much better. and 16ppm is faster than 8ppm, but not that much faster (especially if you usually print one page, as every laser printer takes quite a long time to warm up).

if you want to buy, then just decide what you want. you certainly don't need to buy, if your old laser printer works (as i happen to know cartridges are still available for that printer).

9. numark macrumors member

I'm very happy with my Samsung ML-1710. It's quite fast and the toner costs seem to be cheaper than average. It also has a nice feature where you can turn on "Toner Save" to print slightly lighter but get a lot more life out of the toner cartridge. Quality is great as well.

10. ThomasJefferson macrumors 6502

I have the Samsung 1710 also. A real workhorse with lower cost toner cartridge. Check the price of those before you make a decision.

11. nels0360 macrumors member

You should be able to find a Samsung 1740, the upgrade to the 1710, for about $80-90 on sale. That is a really good deal.

12. Sweetfeld28 macrumors 65816

Sweetfeld28

i too have been intrested in a cheap, and fast laser printer. But i however would like one that has double-sided printing capabilities, to save on paper useage. I also would like one that has relativly cheap toner/cartrage replacements. Does anyone here know of a good one?

13. javabear90 macrumors 6502a

javabear90

I would go with the samsung ml1710 or ml1740 or somthing like that. You can get one for 80 - 90$

14. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Laserjet 1012. Very, very happy with this little workhorse. The fact that I got it from compusaauctions.com for $65 doesn't hurt.

15. JES thread starter macrumors member

Just to clarify: I need a *second* laser printer. The 6mp isn't going anywhere.

On the HP page is says the 1012 isn't Mac compatible in Canada. What could that possibly mean?

Best,
    --JES, who will also check out the Samsung

PS -- Thanks again!