Banking Firm HSBC Considering iPhone? More iPhone Sales Estimates

Discussion in ' News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Aug 13, 2008.

1. macrumors bot

Apr 12, 2001

ZDNet Australia reports that banking "giant" HSBC is considering ditching the BlackBerry and switching over to the iPhone for its staff. HSBC has about 300,000 staff worldwide and this transition could result in 200,000 iPhone orders.
    Whie Apple has not released official sales numbers for the iPhone 3G beyond the first weekend, analysts are predicting that Apple will sell at least 4.47 million iPhones this quarter. This estimate reportedly doesn't take into account Apple's international iPhone in 22 additional countries later this month.

Article Link
  2. macrumors 6502

Sep 22, 2007
    someone should tell HSBC that the e-mail app is still unreliable.
  3. macrumors regular

Jan 13, 2007
    And the great enterprise parade for iPhone starts!
  4. macrumors 68030

Jun 20, 2007
    Cranford, NJ
    Productivity drops 300% as users download free games to their iPhones...
  5. macrumors 6502

May 27, 2006
  6. macrumors newbie

Jul 25, 2008

I think is is a great thing, from every encounter I have had with the Blackberry I have found them to be 100% NOT user friendly! I think that the iPhone will become the industry standard for Corp. Email and the like.
  7. hob
    macrumors 68020

Oct 4, 2003
    London, UK
  8. macrumors newbie

Jun 5, 2008
    Hope this doesn't mean we'll be having another iPhone shortage here in the US because of HSBC.
  9. macrumors 65816

Sep 17, 2005

I disagree. My Blackberry is super user friendly. And the iPhone will not become standard any time soon. Blackberrys are just too good for email. The iPhone can't get it shizz straight, and the Blackberry has been tried and true for years
  10. macrumors P6

Jun 4, 2003
    Great news, let's hope the iPhone makes further in-roads into the enterprise market.
  11. TEG
    macrumors 604

Jan 21, 2002
    Langley, Washington
    Huh? Only MobileMe is currently unreliable. Exchange Push works great, in fact annoyingly great.

This could be a great boon to iPhone in Enterprise. Next... Boeing, Nintendo, Chase.

12. macrumors 601

Aug 29, 2006
    If a few more big businesses (and HSBC is big) sign up - it'll be interesting to see others possible change position, re-review, or think about looking into it

HSBC is basically saying, it might be worth moving away from RIM and the RIM back end equipment - that's a big statement to make. A lot of people have said that as companies use RIM compatible servers etc, that it would be cost to move to iPhones. Seems like some are already seeing that this cost needs to be put into perspective...

Good news. I wonder if we'll see some more big businesses think about heading to Macs, and or iPhones before the year is out. If it's a quantifiable competitive advantage, once someone makes a move, there will be a lot of businesses watching in interest to see what happens.
  13. macrumors 6502a

Jun 28, 2008
    Laughing. I was thinking the same thing. Monkey Ball for everyone.
  14. sjo
    macrumors 6502a

Aug 30, 2005
    actually what they're saying is that they're studying if it's worthwhile to switch to iphone. given the hype, it would be surprising if they were not taking a look.

pretty much no news.
  15. macrumors 65816

Aug 3, 2007
    "giant" ?

HSBC is indeed a very large corporation.

To that end, I was wondering why MacRumors felt they needed to put quotes around the word "giant" in the article? It's kind of rude given the context.

Just because a bank is relatively unknown in the USA doesn't mean it isn't one of the largest most important banks on the planet you know. ;)
  16. macrumors 6502a

May 2, 2008
    I highly doubt HSBC will move forward with this for several reasons. However, this could be good because maybe HSBC will leverage their buying power to get Apple to:

-Properly implement a remote wipe - the one they have now doesn't work too well. The one on the Blackberry's is SOLID and completely renders the device useless.

-Properly lock down all aspects of the phone:
    -disable the app store
    -only allow a specific list of apps to run on the phone
    -filter web traffic so employees can only visit certain web sites on their phone

-Add a snooze button to calendar events

-Add sync with your to-do task list in Outlook!!!!

-Solve the 3G reception issues

-Improve battery life to that of a Blackberry, or make an iPhone with a removable battery. Most blackberry users are mobile, and can go a day or two without charging their phone.

Seriously, Blackberries are tried and true in the corporate world. The iPhone is awesome, but Apple needs to make a corporate version of the iPhone which competes and functions directly like the technology they are trying to replace, otherwise most corporations will view the iPhone as another toy to distract workers from getting their jobs done.
  17. macrumors 68020

Feb 20, 2004
    I agree, my Exchange account on the iPhone has been amazing. My phone actually gets my work email 1-2 seconds before it hits my Entourage.

MobileMe, other than a couple of minor outages has been pretty reliable for me as well. Calendars, email & contacts sync between my iPhone an wife's iPhone very quickly. Overall I've been very pleased.
  18. macrumors 65816

Aug 3, 2007
    Don't know about exchange push as I don't use it, but since the iPhone email app lost two of my emails yesterday, I would say that it still has a way to go. :)

Also, you are arguing your personal experience against conventional wisdom here (as I am to an extent), which is a fairly lame thing for both of us to do. The general consensus is that the iPhone email app is still fairly "1.0" and we both know it.

19. Moderator emeritus

Jul 19, 2002

This is great news. :)
  20. macrumors 68020

Aug 27, 2004
    Apple should be in contact with HSBC right now, offering them all the help and flexibility possible. A deal like this would be huge for Apple.
  21. macrumors member

May 20, 2008
    anyone else?

I wonder if any Redmond based software giants will be switching over to iPhones? :D
  22. macrumors 601

Feb 4, 2004
    Florida Resident
    That isn't my experience. I will never touch a Blackberry again.

I couldn't even type in the email address when I tried to create an email. You must have had a real keyboard. I would mess up and press the wrong key and have to keep starting over again. It is like emailing with a tweezers, a paper clip, and a ball of string. The most user unfriendly email client ever. Also if I had 200 emails and had to look at a email from 4 days ago, I would have the scroll endlessly to get to it. It was a pain to even use it as a email browser.

They must have copied the iPhone since last year's phone model so email is a pleasure.
  23. macrumors 6502a

Sep 16, 2007

This is being misinterpreted as HSBC is ready to dump BB altogether. They are doing their due diligence. I use my 3G w/ exchange but I am employed by a smaller tech firm with a relatively liberal IT dep't.

Doubtful the 3G in its current form will replace the BB at any large firm.
  24. macrumors member

Oct 12, 2007
    Cannot get on to server to download

I have been trying to download this since the update first came out. I keep getting an error message stating that the Microsoft download server could not be found. Can anyone give me some advice?
  25. macrumors 601

Sep 5, 2005
    If HSBC uses the iPhone with their own proprietary software it would be an excellent move…

I can't quite see HSBC switching over to… :D