banks are evil...

Discussion in 'Community' started by jlewis2k1, Aug 29, 2005.

1. jlewis2k1 macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

Ok so I know i have deposited in both of my checks this past friday, however. I look at my current balance of my checking account... $179 buck overdrawn!!! They never deposited my sencond check :-( this is quite annoying for me cause I have enough financial strain as it is i dont need this. Stupid banks I just wish they learn to do things right the first time... ANYHOO, I feel much better getting that off of my chest.... anyone ever had a problem with their bank being evil to you?? :mad:

2. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Not to unnecessarily defend banks, but an important question: At what time on Friday did you deposit the checks?

Bank of America here in Charlotte has a 1 PM deadline for same-day deposits... if you deposit a check AFTER 1 PM, it doesn't show up in your account until the end of the NEXT business day. A 2 PM deposit last Friday would show up TONIGHT (Monday night).

3. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

i did it like at 12 o'clock or something like that.i mean there is no record of the deposit. see it showed the check i made from DQ and it did have my mcd check but all the sudden it was dropped today.

edit: yea i bank at Union Bank

4. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

If a check bounced because your bank dropped the ball (hopefully you still have the deposit slip, with the amounts and time on it), then they should reimburse you for any fees you incur due to their error. But you will need to talk to them to find out what the heck is going on.

5. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

oh i will do that very well tomorrow. of course the one and only location i will go to always love to assist to correct any errors especially this particular one... :D anyhoo, yea i wouldnt be suprised if McD did something though. Ihate them more than anything in this work. Which is why im looking for a new second job cause well they are slave drivers (for real)

6. Leareth macrumors 68000

Leareth

I bank with a credit union after I got fed up with my big name bank jerking me around.
    The credit union gave me a nice $1000 overdraft protection, free package since I am a university student, financial advice and investment tips and they actually treat me like a human being and at my home branch they know my name, and I don't live in a small town. the GVRD has a pop. of 3.6 million.
    the bank was charging me fees left right and center. fee for the interac card, fee for using it to take money out, fee for going to the counter, fee for each cheque, fee for using the ATM to deposit...
    :(

7. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

heh i wont bank at a credit union ... not after my last experience. im still quite mad about it too. those *bleep* charged me like 50 bucks PER item that came in which made me like seriously 250 bucks over drawn and like 150 of it was fees.

8. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

What's the difference between a bank and doing your business at a credit union? I never knew the difference. Maybe it's just popular in some countries, while not at all in others. :confused:

9. e²Studios macrumors 68020

e²Studios

A lot of times people get overcharged and dont even realize it. The banks will charge you even if they legally cant. One good secnario is if you have 10 checks for .01 coming in and one large one for 45.00, you have 45.00 in your account, technically they should clear all the smaller ones and charge you for the larger one as an overdraft (in other words the law says they should charge you the minimum amount of fees possible). some banks will actually admit the larger one and then charge you 10 overdraft fees for the .01 checks. Its an illegal practice but many banks know that most consumers dont know the difference. The level of complaints to the OCC (office of the controller of currency) is pretty low. The OCC sits over all national banks in the US. I have had issues with my bank and just the mention that you will file a complaint with the OCC usually gets them to pay attention and give you what you want.

http://www.occ.treas.gov/customer.htm

Ed

10. AlBDamned macrumors 68030

AlBDamned

I had this same problem once. really needed some money to go in from a cheque and it didn't show up for a week. Went back to the branch (a real inconvenience at the time), and explained. They found the cheque and it had become separated from its paying-in slip once it had been filed. They couldn't read the name on the 'To:' line so it just sat there till someone came in to sort it.

Overall, very annoying.

11. jlewis2k1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

jlewis2k1

so i went to the bank apparently the check was deposited but since i had to withdraw $220 basically made the deposit pointless. but, they corrected the problem of showing that I'm $178 over. Now, I'm just $.02 over :)