Banned from BITOG

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MACDRIVE, Sep 11, 2006.

1. MACDRIVE macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Ok in order to pose a question to everyone on MR, I'm going to have to suffer some embarrassment. :eek: I have been banned from the BITOG forum for the second time.

BITOG stands for Bob Is The Oil Guy.

http://theoildrop.server101.com/cgi/ultimatebb.cgi

The first time I was banned for: Insulting Mobil 1 oil by equating it with paint thinner. The second time I was banned for: Stating that 5W-20 oil provides no long term protection without providing a reference to backup my claim. Now that you have all the boring detailes, I can move towards my question.

I was able to rejoin the forum after being banned the first time by creating an email sub account, (SBC lets you have up to 25 sub accounts), but a few days ago when I try to rejoin again by using another email sub account, my membership application was denied. So I'm thinking to myself: Hmmm, they must have gotten some kind of new software to detect me. Maybe they're able to detect my IP address, to where as before, they weren't.

Now that my curiousity has overcome my embarrassment, I'm able to pose this question: How do they know it's me? :confused:

Keep in mind that I have no intention of ever joining the forum again, (since no one over there listens to my advise anyway) I'm just curious as to why I fooled them the first time, but not the second time. :D

2. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

They would probably overlook a same (or close) IP once, to give someone the benefit of the doubt that they simply lived in the same place. After a sock puppet gets banned too, an IP or range ban would look more tempting.

3. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

WildCowboy

Staff Member

They can almost certainly monitor IP addresses. They probably just banned your username/e-mail the first time, as it's usually the first step they take. When you went around that and re-registered and then got yourself banned again, they banned your IP as well.

Sounds like a similar policy as we have here at MR. You don't really want to block an IP because you never know if there are other people sharing that IP who could continue to be (or become in the future) legitimate users. But when you got banned a second time, they had to take the next step to prevent you from re-registering again.

4. maxterpiece macrumors 6502a

maxterpiece

hahaha I'd love to see these threads. I can't believe they'd ban you for not providing a reference...

5. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

6. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yeah they run a strict board over there. :cool:

They're flat out hardcore.

7. Felldownthewell macrumors 65816

Felldownthewell

If you ever have a burning desire to get back on the boards you could circumvent the IP ban with Tor.

And I just read some of the boards there...wow. And I thought WE were nerds :D

8. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

Oil in oil, you're banning a .1000.

:p

Seriously, imo, MR's Mods are some of the most consistently fair and patient of most sites I've frequented. That's helped with the kind of environment where there's latitude for good techie advice (like MJ's repair permissions advice) :p and room for some fun and socialization in the Community Forum. If it goes over the top, it gets called, and that's both fair and consistent. I still say it's one of the drawing cards for the site.

9. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

If you knew the rules and knew the results, why didn't you follow them?

I'm surprised that they don't have a multiple accounts rule as MacRumors does. Someone was recently banned again for creating a new account.

10. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

Yes, the MR Mods have been extremely fair to me. I've made some stupid posts on here only to be wiped away to my delite. :)

11. The Mad Kiwi macrumors 6502

And so you should be banned, piant thinners are reputable products and their manufactures wouldn't like you comparing their wonderful product to Mobil 1.

12. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

There's a few members over there that struggle to be "king of the message board." Always climbing over each other in hopes of improving their credibility and achieving the most recognition. Somewhere along the way I crossed paths with one of those individuals. There is no freedom of free speech on BITOG. You either agree with the majority opinion, or you get cast out. :cool:

13. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Well, I'm not sure why there is even an oil forum but whatever floats your camshaft.

Perhaps, it will turn out your way somehow.

Oil's well that ends well.

14. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

Its because Mac People are just plain cool. :cool:

I have to agree with bousozoku... not really sure why there's even a motor oil forum.
    Like, what kind of stuff do you guys discuss?

15. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

They take a sample of their oil out of their cars and send it to a laboratory to be tested. Then when the results are emailed back, they post the results on the board and discuss the wear metals with each other for days on end.

16. annk Administrator

annk

Staff Member

You got banned for posting a difference of opinion about a petroluem product?? :confused:

In the world of motor oil forums, :eek: , is comparing an oil product to paint thinner, the equivalent of making a personal insult on for example this forum?

I don't want to embarrass you, if you got banned for being nasty, just ignore these questions. I'm just incredibly curious about what you'd have to say on an oil forum (other than a personally derogative comment to another member) to get banned.

17. tvguru macrumors 6502

LOL I feel so much better about being a computer nerd now. I don't see how that can be the least bit enjoyable. But, to each their own. ;)

18. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

Ummm, okay. It sounds a bit like discussing which grass makes your lawn look greener. Personally, I think a Cauliflower forum would go over much better.

19. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

I second the :confused:

I don't understand how saying stuff like that could get you banned on ANY forum. EVER. Sounds like there's no freedom of speech over there. I say, to hell with 'em.

20. Kingsly macrumors 68040

Kingsly

WOW. :confused:

Sorry, I don't mean to be insensitive, but... why?

21. MACDRIVE thread starter macrumors 68000

MACDRIVE

I'm sorry, but I can't give you a definitive answer to that one. :D

22. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

I had a look at some of these oil posts - this one is discussing oil for a landrover car, and appears to be reccomending putting boat oil in it :eek:

Hmm. Oil. It's wet (!) and slippery. Whatever. I suppose it's like discussing the frontside bus of the G5 versus the G4 and the Intel iMac, a topic that has been know to occupy many pages on MR :)

23. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Why ask why?

They would likely post the same things about a bunch of people on a Mac forum speculation about products most of them will never buy.

BTW, do they have a Lube™ sub-forum?

24. Allotriophagy macrumors 6502a

New 900w-69 Oils Out Next Tuesday! I Have An Erection Already!

25. jive macrumors 6502a