BAR principal: Button ready to be new Schumacher

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by iGav, Feb 7, 2005.

1. iGav macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha! :p

Of course he is... :rolleyes: isn't this the guy who has twice being kicked out of a team in favour of other drivers? Isn't this the guy who rather than help develop a team to win the World Drivers Championship, wanted to ditch his team, do a 'Senna' and move to a more successful one?

Yeah I bet you were thinking that when he was trying to screw BAR over by joining Williams last season :rolleyes: :p

Next Schumacher??? my arse... next David Coulthard?? 98% probability. ;) :p

Rinky dink link
  2. edesignuk Moderator emeritus

Mar 25, 2002
    London, England
    I almost pissed myself laughing just reading the title of this thread :eek: :D

Button has been looking pretty good, but he has a LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG, LONG way to go before he's even boarding on the level of "the man" :D
  3. Lord Blackadder macrumors G5

Lord Blackadder

May 7, 2004
    Sod off
    Sorry Button, I think you've probably lost out to a certain Finn...if he can keep his pants on long enough. :rolleyes:

Actually, leaving aside Ferrari's dominance for a moment, the field looks very competitive nowadays. There are a lot of VERY good drivers out there that Button has to worry about if he thinks he's champ material.

Incidentally, what do you all think of Red Bull's new livery? - I was a bit underwhelmed, the silver/blue scheme was much nicer than this new one .
  4. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    He's looking smooth and fast that's for sure, but he lacks that 'something special' that people like Schumacher and Senna had in boat loads.

In Buttons time, he's been fired twice, and wanted to jump ship instead of taking the opportunity of actually doing a 'Schumacher' and taking the opportunity of moulding BAR Honda around him, and turning them into consistant race winners and eventually championship contenders. Honda has that pedigree, and have the resources to achieve those goals.

It was interesting reading what the great John Surtees had to say regarding Button. I agree with every word.
  5. VincentVega macrumors regular

Jan 26, 2004
    "Fired twice"? Time for someone to check his facts, I think.

Button signed a one year deal with Williams for the 2000 season. The team had an option on Juan Pablo Montoya since 1998 (his F3000-winning year), when he was the test driver for the team. They farmed Montoya out to Chip Ganassi for two years as they thought he was too raw to accompany F1-returnee Alex Zanardi (who had been out of the sport for five years or so) in the team during 1999. They signed Ralf S. instead (to their eternal regret, I suspect). FW is quoted as having said that if he hadn't taken Montoya on board for 2001, he'd have lost him for good. Hence, Button only got a one year deal and was only ever going to get that amount of time in the car.

Williams have retained an interest in Button ever since - if they sacked him in 2000 (which would, by definition, not be in positive circumstances) why would they bother trying to resign him for 2005 and beyond? If you've sacked a driver (for being too slow/too political/falling out with the team/etc) one year, why try and sign him up a few years later?

Likewise, at Benetton, his deal was only for two years. He wasn't sacked and there has never been any indication that this happened. Both Trulli and Alonso are Flavio Brigatore-managed drivers. Flavor Flav also manages the Renault F1 team. You may think there's a conflict of interest there. I couldn't possibly comment.

Not having a contract renewed does not equate to being fired. :rolleyes:
  6. HeWhoSpitsFire macrumors member

Aug 13, 2004
    I definitely agree with what Surtee has to say. Button is getting a bit ahead of himself.

But I have to acknowledge David Richards and all that he has done to restructure BAR into the team they are now, as well as supporting Button, however awckward that was. It's too bad Richards has been let go, but that means we'll see a lot more in the way of developing the Pro Drive LMS and ALMS cars.

Button definitely has a strong future, but Schumacher he is not.
  7. iGav thread starter macrumors G3

Mar 9, 2002
    OK not fired exactly... (although whatever happened at Benetton was sus) but certainly not wanted in favour of other drivers in 2 teams whichever way you word it.

The point is though, had he blown people away exactly like Senna and Schumacher did on their arrivals in F1, then he'd have had his contract renewed and would not have been passed over in favour of other drivers.

I don't see why they'd regret signing him, he matched the great Montoya pretty much during their time together, and it's well documented about his abilties to develop and set up a car. Both Sam Michael and Patrick Head are great admirers of his talents.

If Williams didn't have someone of that calibre with those skills, Montoya would have struggled. Big time.

Never said he was too slow, nor that he fell out with his team. He just didn't do enough to impress to have his services retained, instead being passed over in favour of other drivers... does that sound like the next Schumacher?? thought not.

Why would they try to re-sign him? Well Williams were lacking a driver at the time, and if memory serves the market wasn't exactly chocker of 'top' drivers, which Button undoubtedly is.

But they only tried to sign him after Fisichella fell through (some allege it was Flav holding Williams to ransom with Webber) shame, because Fisichella is a better driver than Button, and a Webber/Fisi lineup would have been interesting. :) That's not to say that Webber/Heidfeld won't be... I rate Quick Nick, he did after all more than hold his own against that other 'Next Schumacher' Raikkonen. I was beginning to think he was the new Fisi, wrong place wrong time.

They way in which he 'left' Benetton is sus though, was it because he didn't have an especially good season?? or was it because of Flav abusing his power?? who knows for sure.

But, if Button had been the next Schumacher though, Flavio Briatore wouldn't have let him go, it really is that simple.

One could also say, "Not having a contract renewed does not necessarily equate to being fired."

Nope, but it usually means that you didn't do enough to warrant the contract being renewed, especially in F1 terms.

Anyway... it's all gravey isn't it... :)

Button the next Schumacher?? my arse... next David Coulthard?? 98% probability. ;) :p

Anyhow... you come across as being knowledgable about F1, how long you been following the sport? fav team? driver? etc etc. :)

As you will have undoubtedly guessed, I'm a Ferrari fan first and foremost and then whoever happens to be driving for them. Been one since the early '80's. I can't quite peg it to either '83 or '84 though. Just missed out on the Villeneuve era, and all those funky innovations like the turbofan, full ground effects, CC twin chassis etc etc which kinda bums me out a bit. :(
  8. Jon'sLightBulbs macrumors 6502a

Jan 31, 2005
    Even if Jenson performs some complete turnaround this year ,if the BAR car stinks as much as last year, the only Schumacher Jenson will rise to the level of is Ralf :D
  9. russed macrumors 68000

Jan 16, 2004
    London, England
    i wouldnt say the car stank last year. they wouldnt have got second in the constructors championship. admittedtly though, sato was pretty unlucky with his car.

Button does have considerable talent i would say but he isnt at the level of winning many world championships though. i could maybe see him being the next british world champion at some point though in the next few years.
  10. Diatribe macrumors 601

Jan 8, 2004
    Back in the motherland
    But then again he should when he's driving a Formula1 car...
    I don't think he's any better than Montoya, Alonso or Raikkönen. Now the thing I really am interested in is seeing how Webber does against Heidfeld. This is going to be an interesting matchup. I never liked people who took their mouths too full. All have fallen on their ass, the ones that have kept quiet are usually the more successful ones...
  11. Bigheadache macrumors 6502

Mar 1, 2004
    Do you even follow F1???? BAR came second in the constructors, obviously its not a good a car as the ferrari but second is better than the rest of the field. And if it weren't for the fact that the BAR is crap for the first 5 laps after a tyre change, Button could have fought for a few GP wins.

I would hate to be heidfeld. Webber has a nasty habit of killing the careers of his team mates. Then again, he hasn't really had any good ones to make life hard for him.