Barack Obama

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by pseudobrit, Nov 9, 2004.

1. pseudobrit macrumors 68040

pseudobrit

I'm intrigued by Mr. Obama and his charisma & charm.

I'm also confused as to why so many Democrats seem to think he needs time to age for a White House bid. He's 43; he'll be around 47 in 2008, older than Jack Kennedy when he was killed.

Others have been dismissing him for a lack of national political experience, but the past two Presidents have had zero national political experience.

The guy's clearly a shooting star, why not let him shoot as high as he can?

Why not Obama in 2008?

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

He's definitely a man on the move. The question of whether he'd be a credible presidential candidate at the next election isn't so much a function of age and experience as it's a matter of him developing national name recognition. Let's see how he develops as a force in the Senate over the next few years. If the party is smart, they'll push him towards center stage and give him plenty of exposure.

3. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

You are correct that the past two Presidents didn't have any national political experience prior to their elections, but they did come into the office with some pretty strong governing experience (especially in Clinton's case). If the information on this Wikipedia article is accurate, Senator-elect Obama has only held one previous elected position (as a one-term state Senator in Illinois). So I think it's legitimate for the Democrats to consider his (lack of) political experience when looking at him as a possible candidate for 2008. Having said that, I think they'd be wise to find opportunities for him to develop his political chops over the coming years and groom him for a 2012 run, if not in 2008.

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

Obama is clearly the Democrats new leading figure. He's far more of a centrist than most senators (FWIW), and could make a big run at the white house. His experience isn't much and this would likely be the focal point of Republican attacks in 2008.

Obama is 2012 is a better pick, IMO. He seems like a "straight shooter with upper management written all over him". :)

5. trebblekicked macrumors 6502a

trebblekicked

unfortunately for us (and politics at large) he swears up and down he will not run for president in '08.

i think he's the bee's knees. i think four years in the senate is plenty opportunity for him to become a household name. if you saw any of his speeches or debates, you got the feeling his ascension is a formality at this point. it's just a question of how long it takes and how far he goes.

6. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

i'm embarrassed to say i don't know the term lengths in the state senate in illinois, but on the local news last night they remarked that mr obama served 7 years in the state legislature.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

While I like Obama, I don't know about running him for President yet.

The Democrats only seem to win when there's a perfect alignment of heavenly bodies, a blue moon, and the birth of a two-headed calf, all at the same time.

Apparently there's plenty of anti-gay bigotry out in the heartland. So what makes anyone think that the "values" crowd won't reject him for a stupid but obvious reason -- because he's black?

I just don't see the electorate being mature enough to elect a black man (or a woman, for that matter) President yet.

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Then they can vote for the half of him that's white.

9. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

He is more qualified than our current President. I like the guy, but I think he would need more support.

I think that while being uncharismatic, Kerry was still the better candidate. And yet he could not get his ideas out there.

I would rather give Barack a little more time and let the part re-organize so that it has an apparatus for reaching a much wider audience and people can start to hear a different point of view on the radio, tv, internet etc.

Bush doesn't really have to say more than a few soundbites here and there, he has radio pundits who explain it in more detail. It's not really a surprise that what Rush Limbaugh talks about comes directly from the RNC.

10. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

My bad. That Wikipedia article I linked earlier says that "In 1996, Obama was elected to the Illinois State Senate from the south side neighborhood of Hyde Park, in Chicago" and follows a few sentences later with "In 2000, he ran in the Democratic primary for Illinois' 1st Congressional district against incumbent Representative Bobby Rush, but was badly defeated." At the time I read that, I mistakenly processed that to mean that he'd only served four years (from '96 to 2000).

11. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Granted, they weren't Presidential candidates, but I don't get the sense that Republicans (whom I assume you're equating with the "values" crowd) had a problem with either Colin Powell or Condoleeza Rice being in their relatively important cabinet positions.

I doubt that the electorate is ready for a female President. Not saying that it's right, I'm just saying I don't think it's going to happen very soon. I'm a lot more optimistic about a black (or possibly hispanic man) becoming President "sometime soon". And I'll bet you it will be a Republican. ;)

12. zimv20 macrumors 601

zimv20

no worries. thanks for the clarification.