Barbara Bush says poor better off now

Discussion in 'Politics, Religion, Social Issues' started by solvs, Sep 5, 2005.

1. solvs macrumors 603

solvs

Now we know where GW gets it. An innocent comment, sure, but just goes to show how insensitive and out of touch they really are:

http://atrios.blogspot.com/2005_09_04_atrios_archive.html#112596381619694000

http://www.editorandpublisher.com/eandp/news/article_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1001054719

Audio here.

2. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

Oh, those nutty Bushes! Where would we be without them?

3. Savage Henry macrumors 65816

Savage Henry

in a one horse, two house, three pub town.
    For the sake of the umanity of it all, I do so hope she is being misquoted.

Sadly, I suspect not. :(

4. solvs thread starter macrumors 603

solvs

That's why I posted the audio. Even if it's a joke, it's a bad one, but it's her saying it. I just saw them on TV defending their son too. Can't blame them for being parents, but when she tries to act like she cares so much about the people who are suffering after saying something like that, it's hard to take her seriously.

5. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Not so surprising. There's a chapter in Al Franken's book "Lying Liars" about Barbara Bush which suggests that, contrary to the "grandma reading to the kids" image she tries to project, she's a real bitch.

6. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

She does earn a rather unflattering portrait in Franken's book, but mainly as a result of one personal encounter on an airplane.

Fact is, they are a family of patricians, with a patrician outlook on life. The historically privileged (meaning, they inherited it) tend to hold inferior views of people in the lower social and economic classes than themselves (which is just about everybody). They can pretend to care about ordinary people, but they have a hard time doing it in ways that actually matter because they know so little about the struggles ordinary people face, let alone, poor ones. It's just such a complete abstraction to them.

I might be dumping on Barbara Bush more than I ought to, but I think this little incident points out some of the issues which crop up when the running of the nation is handed over to its most privileged people. It's just a marker on the road, one we'd do well to remember next time we have an opportunity to vote.

7. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

Yeah, except regarding Bush's attitude, Franken continues:

8. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I read this on another news site yesterday. This makes my stomach turn - to hear those words from the family who runs our country. Nice to know what they really think about many of this country's citizens.

IJ Reilly, I hear your argument about how it may be difficult for them to understand these people's struggles because they've been born into wealth. Your argument is well-thought out and rational. Still, I don't give a damn what the reasoning may be. The Bush family is in the best position to help underprivledged and ordinary people in this country and most of the time they choose not to help.

To claim that a huge natural disaster that destroyed these people's homes, community, possibly taking the lives of some of their loved ones and Barbara says "this is working very well for them"... F*cking, cold-hearted b*tch! :mad: I can't believe this hasn't gotten more press.

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

You react as if you didn't know.
    Puhleeze. Get real. They are not lusters after power and privilege out of love for the common man.
    Many people probably agree.

10. ohcrap macrumors 6502a

11. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

It is not that I didn't know and I know the Bush's don't care for the common man. I am just surprised that they don't even seem to try to hide it any longer.

Isn't the deal with wealthy public leaders? They don't have to care but they at least have to pretend they give a sh*t. The Bush's can't even hold up that end of the deal. :eek:

12. dornoforpyros macrumors 68040

dornoforpyros

"and your wrong, about trickled down economics!"

anyone who can name that song get's +20 punk rawk points

13. broken_keyboard macrumors 65816

broken_keyboard

It's not that bad of a comment, but it's still surprising to hear. It's surprising because you would have thought she would have had some kind of public speaking training not to say those kind of things when Bush I was prez.

Maybe the Republicans weren't so sophisticated in their methods back then...

14. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Newsflash: THERE IS NO DEAL. You and most of your compatriots may think there is a deal. I believe you have been hoodwinked.

15. feakbeak macrumors 6502a

feakbeak

I was being sarcastic. Not all Americans are as ignorant as you might believe.

16. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

51% is all it takes.

17. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

The same is true in any democracy -- 50% plus one.

"You can fool too many of the people too much of the time."
    -- James Thurber

18. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

That quote keeps changing, the media are floating quite a few different variations. Some are not as bad as others.

Link.

What would one week of Barbara be like if she were able to escape her handlers.

19. crdean1 macrumors 6502a

crdean1

I guess I missed where you had access to their history of philanthropic efforts.

Being from Texas (and reading much local news about them the last 15 years), I can assure they have done quite a bit to help the underpriveledged folks inside and outside of the white house.

I guess when all of you have done so much more than she has, you have the right to critize her.

20. Xtremehkr macrumors 68000

Xtremehkr

Do you have any examples?

21. ham_man macrumors 68020

ham_man

Well hell, some of these people did not even have a roof over their heads, a shirt on their back, and a hot meal. Now, with some assistance from the Red Cross and the government, some of these people are in a better off than they were before. It is like homeless people committing crimes because they know that they will be better off in jail than they would on the street...

22. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

You're wrong and will probably never know

23. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

I trust you're kidding.

24. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

Yes, but most people did have a roof over their heads, a shirt on their back, hot meals, etc.

25. rdowns Suspended

rdowns

Sadly, Mrs. Bush doesn't have a monopoly on stupid quotes that came from this disaster.