Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Barclays-Apple-Pay-UK-250x161.jpg
Barclays today announced that it will support Apple Pay for debit and credit cards in the United Kingdom in the future, confirming a MacRumors report that claimed the bank expected "imminent" support of the mobile payments service.

Apple Pay officially launched in the U.K. earlier today and can be used at more than 250,000 locations across England, Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland. A full list of retail shops and apps that accept Apple Pay can be found on Apple's website.

We are really excited about the launch of Apple Pay and will bring Barclays debit cards and Barclaycard credit cards to Apple Pay in future. - Barclays UK (@BarclaysUK) July 14, 2015
Apple has also updated its Apple Pay participating banks list in the U.K. and moved First Direct and HSBC to the "coming soon" section. First Direct has confirmed on Twitter that Apple Pay will be "available later in July," while HSBC tweeted that it will be "launching Apple Pay by the end of this month." It was expected that the banks would support Apple Pay in the U.K. at launch today.

@davidashleyrw I'm sorry you feel the need to leave Ashley. We will be launching Apple Pay by the end of this month. ^JH - HSBC UK Help (@HSBC_UK_Help) July 14, 2015
HSBC-First-Direct-Apple-Pay-UK-800x362.jpg

The full list of U.K. financial institutions that currently support Apple Pay per Apple's website includes American Express, MBNA, Nationwide, NatWest, Royal Bank of Scotland, Santander and Ulster Bank. The banks listed under coming soon include Bank of Scotland, First Direct, Halifax, HSBC, Lloyds Bank, M&S Bank and TSB. As of today's announcement, Barclays should be added to that list soon as well.

Article Link: Barclays Confirms Apple Pay Support in Future, First Direct and HSBC Delayed Until Later This Month

naquada

macrumors newbie
Sep 12, 2006
Capital One need to pull their finger out.. like Barclays, they advised that they were going to providing their own NFC solution and didn't have immediate plans to support Apple Pay... I got the impression they would provide similar 'stickers' 'keyfobs' and 'bracelets' for NFC payments like Barclays planned, and not enter into Apple Pay (even though they do in the US!)

UKPoliticsGuy

macrumors regular
May 3, 2009
Does anyone know if banks need to implement significant infrastructure changes? or is it a case of just ticking 'Apple Pay' on the options of a contactless vendor machine?

I can't understand why Barclays is pissing about.

rob25255

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2006
London
Speaking as a First Direct customer who was looking forward to using it I recall from the announcement at WWDC Apple said HSBC/First Direct would be launching in July. That still stands so while its disappointing that they are not here today it's not really delayed is it? It still will be coming in the July time frame.

Reactions: Lostanddamned

Phil A.

Moderator emeritus
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
More doublespeak from Barclays - "In the future" is ridiculously vague and a desperate attempt to stop customers leaving. Noticed a cheeky post from Sandtander support to one of the tweeted replies pointing people at their switch help page :)

Reactions: PJWilkin

Zxxv

macrumors 68040
Nov 13, 2011
UK
Wish I wrote the headlines and articles. Maybe I should start a website.

Yours

Barclays today announced that it will support Apple Pay for debit and credit cards in the United Kingdom in the future, confirming a MacRumors report that claimed the bank expected "imminent" supportof the mobile payments service.

Apple has also updated its Apple Pay participating banks list in the U.K. and moved First Direct and HSBC to the "coming soon" section. First Direct has confirmed on Twitter that Apple Pay will be "available later in July," while HSBC tweeted that it will be "launching Apple Pay by the end of this month."

Mine

In an effort to not lose customers Barclays today scrambled following what can only be described as a major balls up. Despite having over 8 months to prepare they say it will support Apple Pay for debit and credit cards in the United Kingdom in wait for this....the future. When that is is anyone guess.

Apple has also updated its Apple Pay participating banks list in the U.K. and moved First Direct and HSBC to the "coming soon" section after they failed to do sweet f*** all in the last 8 months. First Direct has now like barclays scrambled to not loose customers by confirming on Twitter that Apple Pay will be "available later in July," note no year is confirmed. Maybe its 2046? HSBC tweeted that it will be "launching Apple Pay by the end of this month" Atleast they gave it as this year

I like mine better :)

Last edited:

snaky69

macrumors 603
Mar 14, 2008
Canada's had all the hardware at 90% of stores for NFC payments for YEARS, the US barely knows what a credit card with a chip and pin is.

I don't get it. What the hell is Apple waiting for to launch it here?

Reactions: 0098386

guicane

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
London, UK
Canada's had all the hardware at 90% of stores for NFC payments for YEARS, the US barely knows what a credit card with a chip and pin is.

Were I canadian I'd be even more pissed off hehe

Joe Rossignol

Senior Reporter
Staff member
May 12, 2012
Canada

Canada should be next on Apple's roadmap. We're well prepared as you say. So was the UK.

WSJ said Apple Pay will launch in Canada in November earlier this year.

Hustler1337

macrumors 68000
Dec 23, 2010
London, UK

I think its Drake's turn to write an open letter to Apple.

Reactions: snaky69

andyyardley

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2010
Does anyone know if banks need to implement significant infrastructure changes? or is it a case of just ticking 'Apple Pay' on the options of a contactless vendor machine?

I can't understand why Barclays is pissing about.

It's a reasonably significant change as it requires an integration not just with Apple but also with the schemes tokenisation engines to generate the tokenised card number. After that you also have to implement the necessary out of bounds messages (text, emails, calls, etc) to ensure security of the system. It was this last part the US banks rushed and why they ended up with a load of fraud.

You then also have to hand over 10-15 basis points (i.e. in the EU most of your profit on card payments)

Barclays have delayed because they have other competing products which would be more profitable for them if they can get critical mass. But thats a big ask and at the moment looks like a losing strategy.

CasparAremi

macrumors newbie
Sep 22, 2014
Speaking as a First Direct customer who was looking forward to using it I recall from the announcement at WWDC Apple said HSBC/First Direct would be launching in July. That still stands so while its disappointing that they are not here today it's not really delayed is it? It still will be coming in the July time frame.

It is delayed though, as they were initially going to be available on launch day, and now they are not. So it's still 'in July' but that isn't what the delay is referring to.

Al3004

macrumors newbie
Sep 16, 2013
Majorly disappointed in HSBC, delaying ApplePay until later. Come on HSBC get your act together. I wish I banked with someone else !!

Last edited:

thekeyring

macrumors 68040
Jan 5, 2012
London

We've had contactless payments in the U.K. for a while, too. I would imagian Canadian Apple Pay is on the horizon. :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.