Barcode Stuff

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by cyberdogl2, Feb 23, 2003.

1. cyberdogl2 macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    Hey all, I wanna get started doing barcode stuff. Is there any brand thats the best at barcode reading hardware or software of whatever.

Mainly, I just want a cool way to keep track of stuff I have, with barcodes. The stuff I have, contains barcodes on them already. Thanks all.
  2. Eniregnat macrumors 68000

Jan 22, 2003
    In your head.
    I think that the first company to go public with barcodes was Zebra . Take a look at their web site to see how the technology works. I beleve that its possible to download code/product listings, as companies are charged for the ability to get a code listing. Like registering for an ISB number .- Another place you will see barcodes.-

To generate new barcodes, or at least make up your own, get a bar code font.
    1001free has at least one. But it’s Windows only. A font called 3 of 9 is another free barcode font that I have run into, but I can’t find it now. In any case, this might help you convert fonts that you find into a more compatible format. makes Fontographer , it might allow for font conversion, as well as creating your own technology compliant TTF bar codes. There is student pricing, but don’t expect an OSX version anytime soon.

Get yourself an old Handspring and find a barcode scanner that works with the Springboard. Go to and browse the products listed for bar codes and inventory control. Some systems even include fonts and templets for Excell and the like so that you can get up and running from the day the box arives at your home.

Go overboard and go to (careful on this one in search engines. The initials POS take a completely different meaning when associated with Mac for WinTell zellots. ;) ) Now you an even keep track of your money. Just put a cash drawer under your Mac, and bamo- you know what you have taken out of your own personal till. You can charge yourself tax, sort your coins, even create coupons for your self to use in your own room.

A note of caution: I force myself to label everything (everything that I can put something in or that has a place to be stored). I have to. I can’t stay organized if I don’t. I think bar codes are a little obsessive, but hey, my boss makes fun of me because I labeled every cable in the studio so that I know where if should of come from and where it should go.)

another Mac POS link.
    An article that might help some.
  3. cyberdogl2 thread starter macrumors regular

Jan 6, 2003
    Well dang. Thanks much! :) That's much more information than I expected. WoO!