Barefeats have given us all another reason to worry!

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by barkmonster, Aug 1, 2002.

1. barkmonster macrumors 68020

barkmonster

The "All New" G4 vs P4 vs Athlon test

I'm disapointed that they removed all the benchmarks from the other systems on the older page but the new one really shows why Apple only test against the Pentium 4 in the benchmark tests.

The Athlon systems totally destroy the G4 in every test!

The Pentium 4 with it's 1GHz clock speed advantage manages to be 20% slower to 26% faster in the single CPU tests.

I keep telling myself that the protools benchmarks are all that matter when a 1.6Ghz P4 with RDRAM only manages to beat a beige G3 with a 466Mhz G3 upgrade by 44% but the 2D and 3D graphics results on barefeats really make me think I'd be better off getting a CPU upgrade for my current mac and "making do" till Apple being out something that really deserves to have the word "Power" next to the word "Mac"

2. Choppaface macrumors 65816

i had about 300 thirty meg photoshop files that all needed editing. I was able to open all of them in 20 minutes, keep photoshop hidden with them still open for a week, and then later edit all of them without one crash and without hardly any lag, especially in the last 150. with how PS 7 runs on OS X 10.1.x, I probably could never do that on my mac, and even if I could I doubt the program would run with any decent speed. maybe in OS 9, if I waited a few ours......for average use, I don't notice that much of a difference between my pc and mac except when using brushes or manipulating really big files, but for the big projects my mac just isn't going to cut it.

and yet people say 'oh ya i'm so 110% sure that any mac even a G3 could beat the crap out of that stupid pcheese'.....:rolleyes: ...oh no wait now they say 'oh it doesnt matter the OS is sooooo superior to any hexpee thing'

:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

from using both boxes, I find both system more or less equally appealing regardless of the speed difference, but it would be nice if apple could put out some hardware that backs up their marketing.

3. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

that's always interesting to read. but, as it says it does depend on what software you're running. and with the 3GHz P4 due out in time for christmas, i know i'll definitely be keeping a close eye on them.

4. AmbitiousLemon Moderator emeritus

AmbitiousLemon

um... did you guys actually look at the link before responding? it seems like its pretty much a dead heat between all the machines. the g4 wins some loses some, but its basically pretty close.

also notice the specs of the machines. to see a 1ghz machine competing well with peecees with much high clock speeds is very impressive, especially considering that we all know that the current g4s are hurt by their memory bandwidth, a problem which should be fixed soon. considering how close things are and considering new g4s are days away and that ibm will be taking over for the next gen proc with moto renewing interest in apple for the two following gen proc (ie doing long term projects) i think this looks very good for apple. our old out of date machine at 1/2 the hz and memory bandwidth problems soon to be addressed is still head to head with the peecees.

people like to complain about the mac's speed but id say these benchmarks show quite clearly that it isnt so cut and dry. and before you bitch about how the mac is slow take a look at the results first! apple has always been way ahead of peecees, it has only been very recently that peecees caught up, this is something many people like to forget. apple has plenty of good things planned for us in the future so no need to worry.

5. mac15 macrumors 68040

mac15

hey lem you tar is so wacky and cool, but so very corny, thats why I like it

6. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Barefeats have given us all another reason to worry!

i like the suggestion of an alternative motherboard for macs running athlons and ddr...i would get it

g4s are ok but athlons seem fast in some things

7. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

No need to worry

Why are you worried???

You mean to tell me you're looking at a benchmark in which PC's require 500-1Ghz advantages in proc speed and 100-250% advantages in Bus Speed to win in these contests? You should be happy that Macs use such an elegant and efficient desing like the PPC.

Do this....stop focusing on a meaningless metric like megahertz. Learn more about the processor that you use. Mac users are smarter computer users...don't betray that fact.

Remember...Macs don't have DDR memory busses. This is a big advantage that will soon be fixed for us. We're still competitive...that's something to be positive about.

Finally Hardware exists to run Software and Apples lead is growing with OSX. Things are looking great...you should be smiling :D

8. barkmonster thread starter macrumors 68020

barkmonster

I understand the technology, It's just that the PC uses very ropey technology that spins very fast on a fast bus and the mac uses a very efficient technology that spins reasonably fast on a slow bus.

It's like I've said, an almost 250% clockspeed advantage a 4 fold bus speed advantage are irrelevant when it only adds up to about a 20% speed difference in either direction.

If you look at it in terms of speed increases the G4 has got way more life in it than the Pentium 4 or Athlon. Surely they can only keep increasing pipeline stages and doing other performance killing tricks to make them spin faster for so long before they hit a brickwall.

A 1.4 Ghz G4 would offer a 40% speed increase over the 1Ghz, maybe more with faster RAM

A 2.533 Ghz P4 would only be a measly 25% faster than the model used in the test and would be totally crushed.

9. nuckinfutz macrumors 603

nuckinfutz

I agree

Sorry if I sounded rude man. I didn't intend to. Man i'm on pins and needles about the next two Hardware generations. If we don't get the G5 this year MWSF or shortly afterwards will the the time. Moto has already announced the G5 core and they've been fabbing memory chips and other chips on their HiP7 process at .13 microns. It's looking good.

I hear the G5 is supposed to have 10 Pipleline stages. The current G4+ has 7 so extrapolating from data from the 233mhz increase in speed going from the 4 pipline original G4 to the + model I would guess that the G5 without any real difficulty will scale at 1.4-1.6 Ghz.

We do have to stop getting beat in tests. If the Hardware isn't fast enough then make the Software(OS X) fly like the wind.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: I agree

slim down os x to speed it up

and we really do have to stop getting beat in hardware tests

of all the ways i can try and put spin on it, i have a lot to lose if i make an argument with too much spin on it since i own a computer related business...i have to listen to science more than to feeling though the computer field has a little of both...customer's preferences based on subjective issues make a notable difference in what i make

all that being said, athlon xp and pentium 4 are faster than the g4 processor even though the mac experience may feel faster with the better os

but like someone said, os x has not been accused of being too fast yet

again, slim down os x

get moto and ibm moving on those processors...get .13 micron process and ddr capability soon...we have lost so much ground to the pc world already