Bargain iBooks at PC World stores

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Dunepilot, Mar 24, 2004.

1. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

hi everybody. My first post for a while, but I just have to alert anyone in the UK who may be looking for a cheap laptop to head down to your local PC World to see if you can get hold of the G3 iBooks they are selling at a clearance price of £499.

They seem to be models that (as far as I remember) were only originally offered to education customers, due to the strange specification, as follows:

12" TFT monitor
    800 MHz G3
    128 MB SDRAM
    24x CD-ROM
    30 Gig HD
    32 MB ATI graphics chipset of some sort.

Basically it's a steal for £500 if you can find one, and you don't particularly need a G4 or a G5 processor.

Oh yeah, meant to add that it will need RAM adding immediately (512 should do it). Optical drive isn't a consideration for me because I already have that covered with my powermac.

2. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

This is the low-end model of the last batch of G3 iBooks (May-October 2003) that originally sold for £799. Not bad, especially for PC World. They aren't ex-display ones are they?

3. Dunepilot thread starter macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

Nope, they're brand new, and even come with the Panther upgrade in the box (which suggests that the stock isn't too old). What's better still is that I was able to get a salesman to sell me several with the cover at half price (which worked out at £110 for 3 years). I'm pretty sure that's cheaper than Applecare, and you end up using Applecare as the service anyway if anything goes wrong - they just charge Dixons Stores Group for their time. Plus it means that the machines are covered for accidental damage.

Now all I need to do is get over to Crucial to whack this baby full of ram, and find a nice, durable 12" sleeve for the machine

4. neon macrumors member

Man I am tempted. Not supposed to be spending money though, supposed to be saving...

must resist. think of holiday.

If it were £400 I'd probably cave in. I don't know whether I'm glad or not that it's £500 :p

5. arimp macrumors newbie