Barnes and Noble charge for wireless?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Erendiox, Apr 14, 2005.

1. Erendiox macrumors 6502a

Erendiox

Me and my buddy headed over to the local B+N last night intent on talking some business and jumping on the net with his laptop. Very much to our suprise, connecting to the network only brought us to a logon page in which you had to regester to use the net connection. We were both astonished, not only the fact that they charged for their net connetion, but because they charged an arm and a leg. 20$ for a month! Thats half the price of my cable connection, and you can only use it when you're in the store!

Anyone else think that is ridiculous? I mean, i've never heard of a public wi-fi spot that wasn't free. The way I see it, we're in their store, buying their stuff. They shouldn't charge extra. The wi-fi should be like an attraction at an amusement park, something that draws people to the store. Many hotels have wi-fi networks, and they don't ever charge any extra. It comes complimentary with the room.

I dunno. I guess it kinda bugged me.

2. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

Nope, it's their sandbox, they get to say who plays in it.
    There are plenty of "pay as you go" or "subscription" WiFi locations.

>wi-fi should be like an attraction at an amusement park, something that draws people to the store

And what were you and the friend doing? Talking business, going on the net, yes. Buying books? No. Am I right? So why would a business offer WiFi for free to non-paying-customers who will occupy their seats.

> Wi-fi comes complmentary with the room

Right. Once you have spent $ 120 per night for a room, you get you dollar-a-day Wi-Fi free.

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

Huh, I always thought it was the opposite... most WiFi locations are NOT free. Starbucks, for example, isn't. I didn't even know that B+N offered WiFi access.

The wine bar whose web site I run (Cuvée Wine + Art Gallery, here in Charlotte) offers free WiFi access because it draws people in... they had to set up WiFi for their own purposes (I set it up) and as soon as we were sure that their business machines were secure from hacking, we un-WEPped the network and opened it to everyone. Trying to set up any sort of pay system would have been more trouble than it was worth.

4. panphage macrumors 6502

T-Mobile hotspots (Borders, Kinkos, and Starbucks as well as some hotels) are pay-to-play. And even MORE expensive if you can believe it: 29.99 w/year contract, 39.99 w/o contract, or you can pay 9.99 for a DAY or .10 per minute. Ouch!

5. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Yeah - I'd always thought the places that didn't charge were less common that those who did. In general, I've found that small businesses (where the owner is interested and it's a single access point) tend to offer it free with the assumption that you will buy a drink/sandwich etc while you're there. Larger businesses seem to tie up with one of the bigger providers (T-mobile etc) and charge you accordingly.

There are some places where they will give you a time-limited password when you make a purchase so you can use their access.

I do believe though that as the technology becomes more commonplace the prices will come down (as happened with the phone networks). This is already happening in the UK with 'roaming' networks so that you can use different providers. I pay £5 a month for 400 minutes on any Openzone/T-mobile/Cloud/Broadreach network.

6. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

so besides paying for some pricy coffee you have to pay for some pricy Wi-Fi, lol, WACK ATTACK.

7. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yeah, most places are like that. I've come across very few places, besides for hotels, that offer it for free. There's one local restaurant here that does, but besides them, everyone else I know about charges.

8. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

The library in my home city has free wi-fi. Used it during spring break. A few coffee shops in Bellingham offer free wi-fi as-well. I however tend to use the campus system as it is faster and we just got wireless in the campus apartments since some stacks are not refurbished and only have dial-up.

Unfortunate, one coffee shop in Bellingham closed in pat due to people coming in and using the free wi-fi and not buying anything (IMO).

9. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

Yeah, two coffee shops around the area I live have free wifi but the rest charge. Some will even come over to you and ask for the reg. slip if it's a new shift to make sure you payed if someone can't remember you :mad:
    I stick to the free spots and B&N has Starbucks supply the coffee in them so that fact that they charge is no surprise to me.