Base 2.0GHZ macbook pro for gaming?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by MonkeyHugger, Jun 16, 2006.

  1. MonkeyHugger macrumors member

    MonkeyHugger

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2006
    Location:
    Birmingham, England
    #1
    Hello one and all, what a marvelous day it has been here in somewhat sunny england for a change.

    ANYWAYS, getting teh macbook pro, installing XP after hearing people say..."will run bf2 fine on meduim..." etc, counter strike source on high, all the rest of that jibbering gaming talk.

    So, I'm going for the base - 512mb of ram, but most notably it has 128mb GPU rather than 256mb which the others features.

    Obviously, someone as technical minded as me can upgrade the ram in a snap, (snappy doo da), but what about the GPU? Is that gonna affect peformance a lot?

    Cheers doods.
     
  2. imacintel macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Mar 12, 2006
    #2
    You should be OK, but I would upgrade your ram. I use a very CPU, GPU and raM intensive with a stock iMac(ideally a big MBP).
     
  3. MonkeyHugger thread starter macrumors member

    MonkeyHugger

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2006
    Location:
    Birmingham, England
    #3
    Cheers big ears.

    So, the GPU RAM won't make too much difference or owt? That's just what I'm worried about...:(
     
  4. MRU macrumors demi-god

    MRU

    Joined:
    Aug 23, 2005
    Location:
    Ireland
    #4
    GPU wont make as muvh s difference as ram. For BF2 you need plenty o ram.
     
  5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

    Dont Hurt Me

    Joined:
    Dec 21, 2002
    Location:
    Yahooville S.C.
    #5
    Gpu will make a difference, dont listen to that integrated graphics crowd, get the 256 to give you some future proofing. There is some great suff coming out that will be wanting all 256. count on it. You can allways get more ram later but not GPU or GPU ram. Then you are in the game this christmas and next year running your games full blast not turning everything off just to avoid the slideshow.:)
     
  6. MonkeyHugger thread starter macrumors member

    MonkeyHugger

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2006
    Location:
    Birmingham, England
    #6
    Yeah I mean, i'm defintealy not going intergrated, just one pros got 128mb x1600, and ones got 256mb, apparently the 128mb won't affect peformance too much, or do you mean it will?
     
  7. Xephian macrumors 6502a

    Xephian

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    Location:
    United States
    #7
    I'd just go with 128MB unless you do some professional 3D or CAD. The X1600 isn't fast enough to handle games that really use the extra 128MBvRAM anyway.
     
  8. MonkeyHugger thread starter macrumors member

    MonkeyHugger

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2006
    Location:
    Birmingham, England
    #8
    Kool, what I wanted to hear :D

    Cheers.
     
  9. Scarlet Fever macrumors 68040

    Scarlet Fever

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2005
    Location:
    Bookshop!
    #9
    i read somewhere that the 256MB got 11 FPS more than the 128MB card (17" vs 15" MPB), and the 17" MBP has a variable clocked GPU...
     
  10. majorp macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Nov 28, 2005
    Location:
    UK !!!
    #10
    i would say that 11fps was because of the higher clocked GPU not the vram. the 17" is bigger = less heat = clock the GPU higher (variable)
     
  11. jaxstate macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Apr 13, 2006
    #11
    I say get extra ram. I'm playing F.E.A.R, and it runs great! I got the retail copay and I get anywhere from a LOW 21FPS to a high of 75FPS. I only have 1G of ram.
     
  12. MonkeyHugger thread starter macrumors member

    MonkeyHugger

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2006
    Location:
    Birmingham, England
    #12
    Well it seems this gorgeous machine has too many problems anyway...whining, mooing, peeling, battery going kaboom...heat.

    When is the revised version expected? August by any chance?
     
  13. TheSith macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2004
    #13
    That's the "rumor." As posted quite often, Apple is very secretive and does not willingly release information about updates until they actually come out. Some believe Merom will come into laptops by August (WWDC) - others believe otherwise.

    The machine may have problems for some but realize that if you read the Apple Discussion board or even this board sometimes, you get mostly the negative stuff and not too much positive stuff (Why would people who are perfectly content with their MBP post on a technical help board? (Not saying that's this board's only purpose, more towards the Apple Disc. audience)).

    The *best* advice I've seen is, "If you need it now, get it. If you don't, wait." You could wait forever for revisions or the next greatest thing but me? I would personally wait for Revision B to come out. Not because I'm necessarily worried that I'll get a lemon MBP but because I don't need my laptop until late, late 2006.
     
  14. MonkeyHugger thread starter macrumors member

    MonkeyHugger

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2006
    Location:
    Birmingham, England
    #14
    Wow, great advice, thanks :D

    I don't really need it till I sell my windoze laptop...but I'm eager to change to mac, and 11th august whenever macworld is is 3 weeks before I start school again...

    TBH I think I'm gonna get one now and hope for a non lemon, if I get a good one then the next revision will just be more powerful (i think) and this versions got enough power for meeee!
     

Share This Page