Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ZXMustang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2015
I know what the benchmarks look like with black magic, but from standard usage no video editing will I notice a difference if I get the 128gb model over the 256gb model? I have a 1TB external USB3.0 drive already formatted for apple file system, and all I really need it for is to house the thousands of pics and vids me and the wife shoot with our iphones. Will I feel the slower read speeds with the 128gb model over the 256gb? The size difference is of no concern.

colonel179

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2014
I've seen reviews where they say the 256GB SDD is faster than the 128GB. I went for the 256GB model myself, with 16GB RAM. However, I don't think it's something noticeable unless you copy files that are very heavy in size.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
yeah I was looking into this yesterday with picking up my first Macbook yesterday and I opted for the 256 version. It also depends what you use your computer for and the space that you think you may need and where I figured out that 128GB could've been enough for me, I just went the 256 route.

ZXMustang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2015
I think Im going for the 128 model. Its $200+ cheaper for me with the education discount. I only use it for watching videos online and general surfing. Plus light gaming. Sim City and so on. I might still get the 256, but really not sure if I need it.

T5BRICK

macrumors G3
Aug 3, 2006
Oregon
You won't notice a difference in the speed for day to day tasks.

That being said, I went for the 512GB model because I needed the space.

Reactions: Mr. Retrofire

aaron5566

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2012
I believe 256 should be the minimum. I'm barely surviving on my 128. If you are going to partition with Windows, the 256 is definitely necessary. I have partitioned my 128 with Windows and often find myself unable to install games or movies freely without worrying which file I have to delete.

ZXMustang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2015
I wont be doing much than playing youtube videos and netflix and so on. And with my external drive, I think ill be ok with the 128. Im going to get that today plus the magic mouse and an apple TV. Any issues with the magic mouse?

Last edited:
Reactions: nStyle

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I wont be doing much than paying youtube videos and netflix and so on. And with my external drive, I think ill be ok with the 128. Im going to get that today plus the magic mouse and an apple TV. Any issues with the magic mouse?
None, other than you really don't need It once you get used to apples trackpads. I bought two for my mini and iMac. They gather dust now. Too used to doing multi finger gestures which the magic mouse isn't so good at.

Samuelsan2001

macrumors 604
Oct 24, 2013
I wont be doing much than playing youtube videos and netflix and so on. And with my external drive, I think ill be ok with the 128. Im going to get that today plus the magic mouse and an apple TV. Any issues with the magic mouse?

As magbarn says the trackpad is awesome and much better than apples mouse especially with multitouch gestures. In fact if I needed a separate input device I would choose apples external trackpad over any mouse.

ZXMustang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Posting this from my new macbook pro. Got the 128gb model and it should be ok. I got an apple TV too. Love this new macbook. Its smoking fast. Very cool.

Reactions: Kristine

digitallegend

macrumors member
May 18, 2015
Vancouver
first of all when u buy any version 128 or 256. u don't get the full capacity. i first got the 128gb model and it only around 100gb available. i ended up returning it and got the 256gb. now i fell like i have enough breathing room.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
I don't think you need 256GB.

TBH, 128GB + a 1TB external drive (if even) would be plenty for most. I think people seem to convince themselves that they "need" to pay Apple the ridiculous $/gig rate for a larger drive.

That said, I have a 256GB and I've used 70GB. That's useless information to you though because we don't know how much you'll use. Yeah, I could fill it up with more apps and photos and videos. But, a man can only watch so many videos and look at so many photos. There comes a point when it makes no sense to store things indefinitely unless it's on an external drive. And I don't think it's too common to have over ~30GB in apps alone. With the Adobe suite, Microsoft Office, Spotify, several utilities, and all of the stock apps, that totals 20GB for me.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
As magbarn says the trackpad is awesome and much better than apples mouse especially with multitouch gestures. In fact if I needed a separate input device I would choose apples external trackpad over any mouse.

This. I use an external trackpad for desktop use as well. The MM is a pretty sorry mouse...I've used cheap Logitech "laptop" mice that felt way better. The only thing going for the MM is that it's Bluetooth and the sexiest mouse ever. It just doesn't feel or work well.

ZXMustang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2015
I don't think you need 256GB.

TBH, 128GB + a 1TB external drive (if even) would be plenty for most. I think people seem to convince themselves that they "need" to pay Apple the ridiculous $/gig rate for a larger drive.

That said, I have a 256GB and I've used 70GB. That's useless information to you though because we don't know how much you'll use. Yeah, I could fill it up with more apps and photos and videos. But, a man can only watch so many videos and look at so many photos. There comes a point when it makes no sense to store things indefinitely unless it's on an external drive. And I don't think it's too common to have over ~30GB in apps alone. With the Adobe suite, Microsoft Office, Spotify, several utilities, and all of the stock apps, that totals 20GB for me.

Yeah this sounds like me. I would use the on-board storage if I had it, otherwise I do have the 1TB external all ready to go for backing up photos an vids. And I won't run heavy on apps either. I can delete crap if I need and run what I want. Again, its mostly for watching videos which Im doing right now in another tab...lol Love this new macbook. Force touch is awesome.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
I have the 128GB model - simply because I do not store anything on my computer - it sits on a NAS or in the cloud and I stream all my music. I have just over 102GB available, with everything I need installed.

ZXMustang

macrumors member
Original poster
May 16, 2015
Yeah Im at the same. I might install the sim games and batman, but I should be over 50gb left.

TechnicallyTee

macrumors 68020
May 14, 2013
Atlanta
Yeah I considered getting the 128 model but opted for the 256. Got it just to be sure but I probably won't be near filling it up.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.