Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
I have been thinking about getting a Mac Mini after being out of the Apple game for a few years. I used to have a 2012 Base model Mac Mini and have since had to use a cheap Window's laptop. I see that Apple came out with new Mac Mini models last year and I have been thinking about the base model. Does anyone have this? If so what do you use it for? I'm wondering if the slower processor and only 4gb of Ram will be okay or not.

SandboxGeneral

Moderator emeritus
Sep 8, 2010
Detroit
I bought a mid-tier a few months ago. Core I5 and 8GB of RAM with a 256GB SSD. The base model didn't appeal to me as I feel it was too underpowered to be future-proof.

I use mine as a media server to serve up my iTunes movie/music/TV Show library to my other Mac's and Apple TV's.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
It's going to depend entirely upon what you use the computer for. I assume you don't need much (although clarification would help) as you currently use a "cheap" Window's laptop, but depending on what you use the computer for the baseline Mac Mini can be viable for some users.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
It's going to depend entirely upon what you use the computer for. I assume you don't need much (although clarification would help) as you currently use a "cheap" Window's laptop, but depending on what you use the computer for the baseline Mac Mini can be viable for some users.

If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours?

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
If you don't mind me asking, how much did you pay for yours?

Not at all, but I do not have a 2014 model. I use a 2012 baseline entry Mini that I paid $500 for. The pricing is now quite a bit different in the 2014 line.

I felt I could provide a good amount of information because I used 4 GB RAM in mine and it has a faster clock speed but older processor. I also still use a 5400 RPM drive, so I can speak towards what your experience will be like. Depending on what you do, it could be a great or terrible decision.

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
I have been thinking about getting a Mac Mini after being out of the Apple game for a few years. I used to have a 2012 Base model Mac Mini and have since had to use a cheap Window's laptop. I see that Apple came out with new Mac Mini models last year and I have been thinking about the base model. Does anyone have this? If so what do you use it for? I'm wondering if the slower processor and only 4gb of Ram will be okay or not.
I use the base model Mac Mini 2014 as my everyday computer, and it's very good for what I use it for, which is web browsing, YouTube videos, email, and documents. I also had a cheap Windows laptop and bought the Mac Mini about a month ago for $349 at Best Buy with a special student discount. Have not had any regrets except having used such a slow laptop for a long time!

The processor is actually not slow at all, as it is an i5 with multi-treading, and the 4GB of RAM is more than enough for my needs. I also do not need an SSD, since I don't launch many programs or transfer large files, and I don't mind the 45-second boot-up time. For my usage, the mid-level Mac Mini would have been a waste of extra performance, but not for other people who require more RAM.

Last edited:

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Not at all, but I do not have a 2014 model. I use a 2012 baseline entry Mini that I paid $500 for. The pricing is now quite a bit different in the 2014 line.

I felt I could provide a good amount of information because I used 4 GB RAM in mine and it has a faster clock speed but older processor. I also still use a 5400 RPM drive, so I can speak towards what your experience will be like. Depending on what you do, it could be a great or terrible decision.

I currently use my cheap laptop for school work, internet, email, sometimes I use it to hack things. I don't do any converting of video's or anything like that. When I do school work I normally have multiple windows in chrome open and also a couple in firefox. Then I will have an article open in Adobe with MS Word. This is when I can start feeling that I need a different computer.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
I use the base model Mac Mini 2014 as my everyday computer, and it's very good for what I use it for, which is web browsing, YouTube videos, email, and documents. I also had a cheap Windows laptop and bought the Mac Mini about a month ago for $349 at Best Buy with a special student discount. Have not had any regrets except having used such a slow laptop for a long time!

The processor is actually not slow at all, as it is an i5 with multi-treading, and the 4GB of RAM is more than enough for my needs. I also do not need an SSD, since I don't launch many programs or transfer large files, and I don't mind the 20-second-or-so boot-up time. For my usage, the mid-level Mac Mini would have been a waste of extra performance, but not for other people who require more RAM.

Dang how did you get it that cheap?

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas
Dang how did you get it that cheap?
There was a special sale on Best Buy's website for $50 off the regular price, and then I used a $100 off student discount coupon for iMacs and MacBooks that also happened to apply to the Mac Mini (I'm not sure if it still does). The price was too good to pass, even if I wanted to wait for a redesigned model, as I've always wanted a Mac Mini (even a year ago, it would have cost me $599 + tax). The mid-level model was $549 or $579 (I can't remember), but like I mentioned, I have no need for 8GB of RAM, slightly faster processor, slightly better graphics, or twice the storage. Future-proofing is nice, but I'd rather save money for a redesigned model that comes with all of that and an SSD standard, even if it takes years.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
I've seen a lot regarding those deals as far as people getting them for cheap prices. I do not have any information on them, but OP, it sounds like the baseline Mini can handle what you do and if you can pick one up for cheap it sounds like a pretty good situation for you.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
There was a special sale on Best Buy's website for $50 off the regular price, and then I used a $100 off student discount coupon for iMacs and MacBooks that also happened to apply to the Mac Mini (I'm not sure if it still does). The price was too good to pass, even if I wanted to wait for a redesigned model, as I've always wanted a Mac Mini (even a year ago, it would have cost me $599 + tax). The mid-level model was $549 or $579 (I can't remember), but like I mentioned, I have no need for 8GB of RAM, slightly faster processor, slightly better graphics, or twice the storage. Future-proofing is nice, but I'd rather save money for a redesigned model that comes with all of that and an SSD standard, even if it takes years.

Oh okay. Yeah I just tried to add the student promo code right now and it wouldn't work or the mac mini. I wish it would have.

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
I've seen a lot regarding those deals as far as people getting them for cheap prices. I do not have any information on them, but OP, it sounds like the baseline Mini can handle what you do and if you can pick one up for cheap it sounds like a pretty good situation for you.

Yeah if you know if any great deals on them it would be greatly appreciated.

Dark Void

macrumors 68030
Jun 1, 2011
Yeah if you know if any great deals on them it would be greatly appreciated.

I don't specifically, I am sorry, but just about everything I have seen regarding people getting them for less than the list price was through Best Buy, so I'd try to look up some information regarding them and what deals/promotions they have going.

myrtlebee

macrumors 68030
Jul 9, 2011
Maryland
I have one as my main desktop computer. Got it about three weeks ago from Microcenter for $400. It's been great. If I can get three years out of it I will be happy. It's used for web browsing, Pages documents, media, and some games. I originally bought a mid-range model with SSD, but it was just too much computer for my needs, which is why I am trying to sell it now here on Marketplace.

Reactions: Micky Do

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
I have one as my main desktop computer. Got it about three weeks ago from Microcenter for $400. It's been great. If I can get three years out of it I will be happy. It's used for web browsing, Pages documents, media, and some games. I originally bought a mid-range model with SSD, but it was just too much computer for my needs, which is why I am trying to sell it now here on Marketplace.

Interesting, and refreshing to see this point of view, based on experience.

Many here have been scathing of the base model Mac Mini. They go on about needing power and speed, and their desire for "future-proofing"; methinks, more often about ego and bragging rights, than any basis in real life for many.

In truth there is more to the functionality of a computer in use than the specs of its components. That comes down to intended use and how the hardware works in concert with the OS. Time was that it was advisable to go for the top specs, and upgrade what you could to keep up with the ever increasing demands of software and peripherals. The industry has matured a bit since then. My 2009 Mini can run the latest iteration of OS X, though it cannot access some of the connectivity features that I neither need nor desire. I reckon it should see me right for good while more. Buying what you need now should see you right for several years.

A base model Mac Mini is all the computer many folks need for basic use, as has been proved by the experience of several who have dared post here in the face of the rather vociferous 2014 Mini knockers.

Last edited:

Andres Cantu

macrumors 68040
May 31, 2015
Texas

Many here have been scathing of the base model Mac Mini. They go on about needing power and speed, and their desire for "future-proofing"; methinks, more often about ego and bragging rights, than any basis in real life for many.

In truth there is more to the functionality of a computer in use than the specs of its components. That comes down to intended use and how the hardware works in concert with the OS. Time was that it was advisable to go for the top specs, and upgrade what you could to keep up with the ever increasing demands of software and peripherals. The industry has matured a bit since then. My 2009 Mini can run the latest iteration of OS X, though it cannot access some of the connectivity features that I neither need nor desire. I reckon it should see me right for good while more. Buying what you need now should see you right for several years.

A base model Mac Mini is all the computer many folks need for basic use, as has been proved by the experience of several who have dared post here in the face of the rather vociferous 2014 Mini knockers.
That's a very good point, well said!

applelover4u

macrumors 6502
Nov 6, 2012
I do some mild graphic work, multiple windows and programs open and I run some software a lot to doing work in the background. This base mini is a beast to me 4gb i5

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
I do some mild graphic work, multiple windows and programs open and I run some software a lot to doing work in the background. This base mini is a beast to me 4gb i5

wow this is nice to hear. i'm still debating but it seems like maybe getting the base model will be fine.

paulrbeers

macrumors 68040
Dec 17, 2009

This is exactly right. I have 2 - 2012 Mid level Mac Mini's that have 16GB of RAM because it seemed like the right thing to do. Quite honestly, they sit virtually unused compared to the power they have. My 2014 Mid-Mini with only 8GB of RAM and only a dual core processor is actually my main machine because it can run dual 1440P monitors.

I could probably easily sell one of my 2012's and replace it with a Base 2014 especially since one does nothing but be a Mac OSX Server for TM backups and serving up a webpage used only by my family. Heck, maybe that's what I should do.....

I'm pretty sure a 2012 Quad Core with 16GB of RAM and an SSD should go for a decent chunk of change....

Reactions: Celerondon

jpietrzak8

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2010
Dayton, Ohio

Very true! I think the only reason why people are up in arms about the design of the Mac Mini (or, for that matter, the design of the iMac, or the design of the Mac Pro) is that Apple has obviously given up on the idea of selling a standard desktop PC. The Mini is aimed at a corner of the market: tiny, quiet, and low-cost, it can perform basic desktop duties, but isn't intended to scale up to the kinds of tasks that standard desktop computers perform.

The iMac is gorgeous, relatively powerful, and has a selection of components that the higher-ups in Apple believe is a decent compromise for general-purpose computing; but as an all-in-one, it locks you into purchasing all your desktop components from Apple at the same time. There is practically no concept of being able to customize the device for your personal needs, the way that a standard desktop computer can be customized. And so, while it is aimed at a broad slice of the market, it doesn't fit the market nearly as well as would a standard desktop computer.

The Mac Pro is uber-powerful, but unbelievably expensive. Very few users really need the kind of power it provides on their desktop, and it really isn't aimed at server use either. So again, aimed at a very small corner of the market.

The way that the 2010 remodel of the Mac Mini made the internals (relatively) easy to access brought hope to many folks that Apple might be nosing back in to the general-purpose desktop computer market. 2014's redesign kind of slammed the door on that hope. It seems that Apple simply doesn't ever intend to sell a general-purpose desktop computer again.

But yeah, that doesn't mean that their existing products don't serve their corresponding market niches well. :)

littlepooch21

macrumors regular
Original poster
Sep 26, 2010
Well just got my Mac Mini. Crazy story..... I work overnights and was looking on Best Buy for some open box items to save some money. When I was on there I found a base model 2012 mac mini. I thought it was odd but it said it was in excellent condition and was only $350. I ordered it of course. So I go to pick it up today and when I get there they said that it was returned with the old users password locked on it and they couldn't reset it. They decided to fix this by giving me a 2014 base model for the same $350. On top of that I also got an LG 29 inch ultrawide monitor for $229. So I think I made out pretty good. What do you guys think?

Micky Do

macrumors 68020
Aug 31, 2012
a South Pacific island
Well just got my Mac Mini. They decided to fix this by giving me a 2014 base model for the same $350. So I think I made out pretty good. What do you guys think?

Well done…… but in the light of the question you posed at the end of your original post:

I'm wondering if the slower processor and only 4gb of Ram will be okay or not.

Use it for a bit, then let's know, what do you think?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.