Baseball fans - BOYCOTT the game June 11-13

Discussion in 'Community' started by Westside guy, May 6, 2004.

1. Westside guy macrumors 601

Westside guy

Hi folks,

I don't know about you, but I'm totally disgusted with Major League Baseball (MLB) and their upcoming "Spiderman 2" promotion. For those of you who don't know, movie logos will be put on the bases, the pitching rubber, and in the batters box during that weekend. Also teams are being encouraged to promote various tie-in activities.

But to be honest, while the increase in blatant advertising bugs me that's NOT why I'm encouraging a boycott. What really bugs me is that MLB is basically lying about it and figuring we're too stupid to notice! According to MLB, "It's part of our effort to market the game in a holistic style, but mostly to market it to a whole demographic: kids."

Come on. How stupid do they think we are? Exactly HOW is putting these Spiderman 2 ads supposed to help promote kids' interest in baseball?? Are we really supposed to believe that little Joey and Jane are going to say "Gee - I haven't really been interested in baseball, but I hear they've got advertisements for Spiderman 2 at the ballpark this weekend! Can we please go to the game?" :mad:

This is a money grab, plain and simple. MLB is looking for a new revenue source, and they should just admit it rather than insult our intelligence.

To those of you who, like me, are baseball fans: Please boycott baseball entirely that weekend. Do not buy tickets. Do not watch the game on television. Do not listen to it on the radio. And let your favorite team know you're doing this.

You might find this Rob Neyer article from espn.com interesting reading.

2. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Personally I think it is a good thing. I actually like to see the majors go back to when the entire outfield was advertisments. It made each trip to the park different.

Boycott if you want, but you will not change Bud Seligs' mind about anything. He is the carbunkel on the backside of Baseball and needs to be removed for a Commissioner who won't stand for the MLBPA's crap, and will stand up for the fans.

TEG

3. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    When was the last time you went to a game? Do you normally go to see them. I go to a few minor league games a year and occasionally make a 5 hour drive to see my beloved Yanks play.

They need to make the money somehow since ratings and attendance are down.

4. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I'll join the boycott. Of course I boycott baseball everyday of the year, so I guess it wouldn't be anything new. :p

Baseball certianly is on it's way out. I guess they are getting desperate.

[​IMG]

5. Westside guy thread starter macrumors 601

Westside guy

My last game in person was last September - seven of us went.

I get the impression people aren't actually reading what I wrote.

If MLB was saying "yeah we need more money so we're putting advertising on the bases etc." I certainly wouldn't be happy - but I wouldn't be pushing for a boycott.

6. Awimoway macrumors 65816

Well, I don't really go to games much, but I think this advertising idea is putrid.

7. armchainmstenw macrumors member

The advertising seems somewhat obscene. How would that help anyway? At least im not interested, cause I have to live with the Pirates as a city baseball team.

8. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

What are you talking about? O's stadium is nothing but one large advertisement. And then we have the idiot mayor in DC wanting to spend public money on building a stadium for the Expos.

We need as a public to take a stand against the big money in sports that we as fans end up paying. From the players to the fields they play on.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

You know MLB has their heads where it does shine. Instead of using this as a "way to reach the kids" and do some good for the community; the money is going to line their already bloated pockets.

I have been to a few O's games. And it disgusts me that the bigger name players generally don't go out before or after the game to sign autographs for the children.

That is why I love going to Minor League games. The players are hungry, and they respect the fans that come out.

10. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Dont get you panties in a knot.

Don't worry guys and gals. MLB is not actually going to put advertise ments on the bases. They changed their mind about the whole deal and eliminated it. Although I think they will keep them on the on deck circles. So its not really that bad.

11. Awimoway macrumors 65816

12. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

A few things...

Looks like the voice were heard, and Bud Changed his mind.

Second, he tried to stand tough against the union...and they walked out. It's a powerfull union. It's not as easy as 'not standing for their crap'.

I would also like to point out it was the NEW YORK YANKEES, who started the ball by saying they wouldn't allow the ads during the game. Only evil when they want to be.....

13. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

it's one thing to have outfield walls and scoreboards being covered with ads. it's quite another to have anything in the field of play carrying ads.

i'm disgusted by this horrendous idea - just to get a couple of millions. since the integrity of the game seems to be worth only a few million dollars to the ones in charge of running the game, i am now really worried about the future of the game.

they have changed their mind - only the on-deck circle will be messed with. but i can't believe they thought it would be possible to put ads on the actual bases without pissing off the fans and the public. their only saving grace is that they refused to allow ads on the home plate - but i assume only because movie studio balked at the higher price posed by MLB. :rolleyes:

14. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

as much as i hate the yankees, i applaude their stance that putting ads on the bases at the yankee stadium would be crossing a line - and that they would refuse to do so.

i'm glad that the probably the most powerful (politically and economically) baseball club decided to take a stance to honor their rich tradition instead of taking pocket change to forever tarnish it.

15. saabmp3 macrumors 6502a

I'm not sure where your getting the idea that baseball is on it's way out, but from what I'm reading in the newspapers (I must note, in NY but also boston area) baseball is actually been on a steady rise for the past few years. Try looking at basketball. If I remember correctly, there was a basketball playoff game being broadcast in prime time and a college lacross game being broadcast at 4am. The lacross game actually garnered more viewers than the playoff basketball game did. Talk about pathetic.

BEN

16. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

17. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Only becuase it it is one of the affordable sports venues.

You really hit on the issue the MOST sports are based on the revenue that they get...

untill we as fans give them the finger on what it costs us TOTALY; and vote with our MONEY, they will never listen. For me I never attend a game that was not paid by others. I know it is a fine line, but the distinction is there. Fortunately the O's allow for food and drink to be brought into the stadium.

18. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Wow. Someone who is a free rider and proud of it :rolleyes:

19. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

I am not sure what you meant by that.

What i have a problem with excess profit off those that can least afford it.

Yes they have a choice, but the marketing that covers spots makes that almost impossible,.

I am one of those that believes that that the benefit to society should "profit". Nice to know who's pockets you want to line....

20. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

Who the hell thought of this idea anyway? It's not like anyone would actually be able to see the damned ads anyway. :confused:

21. Dippo macrumors 65816

Dippo

I will agree that pro baseball is better than pro basketball, but that isn't really saying much. Give it another 30 years and pro baseball will either be completely changed or gone.

22. krimson macrumors 65816

krimson

Democratic People's Republic of Kalifornia
    I heard they just cancelled the promo, so all the fans can stop worrying :)

23. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

just the fact such a ridiculous idea even came out worries me.

it's one of those boneheaded ideas that i can never figure out how it made it past everyone in charge. like the victoria's secret swimsuit that had a picture of the buddha. (http://www.dailytimes.com.pk/default.asp?page=story_25-4-2004_pg9_5) like, duh, they thought that might not offend some people? :rolleyes: :confused: :mad:

24. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Nice to see that peoples opinions still have a chance of being heard...

25. craigdawg macrumors 6502

Question for our European friends:

Was there a time when there wasn't advertising on football jerseys? You know, before the Vodafone and Sharp and so forth? Did fans freak out when ads started appearing on the jerseys?

Anybody watch auto racing? Aren't the cars simply rolling billboards?

I love baseball and was a little irked by the promotion but it wouldn't have stopped me from going to a game.