baseball fans - do you expect...

Discussion in 'Community' started by jefhatfield, Jul 6, 2003.

1. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

giants to win a world series

bonds to beat aaron

sosa to pass bonds for season hr record

red sox to win world series

anaheim to win the world series again to make it back to back (like the blue jays did...seemingly out of nowhere)

ichiro to slow down

the yankees to just go away from the month of october

for the braves to no longer be able to pitch

for the mets to beat the yankees in a subway series

for the red machine to be a force again

for another bay area world series

any others?

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

for the game to stop being boring?

hah

once cal left i was done with my commitment to liking baseball...

ohhhh... baseball "fans"... whoops. ;)

3. Spike Spiegel macrumors regular

im not a huge fan of baseball, but it would be a nice change of pace for the sox to win the world series. the yankees need to have their asses handed to them once in a while to keep things interesting.

4. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

which one is baseball again?

is that the one with the black and white ball and the nets?

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Re: baseball fans - do you expect...

Bonds has a good shot at beating aaron, but i don't think he's gonna do it. i think he'll retire first.

Sosa has zero chance of surpassing 73 homeruns in my opinion. Homerun numbers appear to be coming down and there seems to be an influx of good young pitchers. the long ball is here to stay, but i don't think you're gonna see as many guys hitting 50 homeruns.

the red sox will fade. they won't win the world series this year.

the angels won't even make the playoffs.

ichiro is too good to really slow down. I don't expect him to hit .340 every year, but very few players ever do.

I don't even understand what the yankee question is asking.

the braves lost two major starters and can still pitch. they'll be just fine.

i doubt you'll see another subway series for a long time. too many things haver to line up correctly for it to happen that frequently. in any case,t he maets are a long way from really being serious contenders right now.

someday the reds will be good again. they've got some good pieces. the days of a real baseball dynasty are over. no one but the yankees and red sox can really afford to keep a team together.

For the same reasons i cited for the mets/yankees, I don't think you'll see a bay bridge series anytime soon. it helps that both teams are good right now though. it wouldn't shock me, but i don't expect it.

6. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

God, I hope so. But it's been almost 50 years!

bonds to beat aaron
    Barring injury, I think it's a lock. But will A-Rod then pass Bonds in 10 years?

Doubtful, since he's not corking anymore

Big Stein will never allow this to happen.

anaheim to win the world series again to make it back to back (like the blue jays did...seemingly out of nowhere)
    In a word, NO. The Blue Jays were very good from about 1985 through the three-peat 92, 93, 94. (They were declared World Champs during the Strike Year). Hardly out of nowhere.

ichiro to slow down
    When he gets old. We all slow down.

Don't know what you mean. The Yankees will always be in it so long as they keep the current GM, and why would you leave the Yankees? (Aside from Steinbrenner firing you)

Good farm system and willingness to go acquire new arms. But hey, two of three acquired last year (Hampton and Byrd) have hardly been assets. They're winning with offense this year.

Aren't the Mets some sort of AA team? Armondo Benetez is thier All-Star for God's Sake. And the sad thing is, he probably IS the best player on the team.

Within five years. If they can get a couple arms to go with their young bats.

I wish, only becuse it would mean the Giants have another chance at breaking my heart. It couldn't be any worse than '89.

any others?
    The Cubs will NEVER climb to the top of mountain.

Fenway needs to go - or at least be closed down an radically renovated. I love the place, but your whole body aches after watching a game in those seats.

Who will make the World Series first, Detroit or Boston? (I don't think Boston will ever be better than NY, and the wildcard seems to be perpetually from the AL West. On the other hand, Detroit is really, really bad.)

Will the DH go? It should.

What hat should McGwire/Henderson/Clemens were in the HOF?

Only three unbreakable records: Cy Young's Win total, Cal Ripken's consecutive games and Connie Mac's total wins as a manager. There are probably a couple others too.

7. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I'm not a baseball fan, but since I've been in Boston the Sox always seem to fade around the time of the All Star Break. The Sox do just enough to keep the fans happy so that the seats are filled to capacity. The new owners have shown that their primary goal is to increase income and winning is only a side effect!

8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

Giants are fighting off the Diamondbacks who have come from deep behind -- nearly last place -- to barely out of the running for the wildcard spot.

Sort of is strange to see hardly any of the veteran players in the lineup.

So many rookies on the team right now that the newpapers refer to the team as the Babybacks.

9. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

hats to hall of fame?

the big mac should wear an As hat to the hall of fame...same with henderson

as for clemens, he really was a force with the red sox and in his prime years...he is still good but on his way out

10. Foxer macrumors 65816

Foxer

I agree with Henderson (A's) and Clemens (Boston), but I just can't decide about McGwire. Purely on numbers he should be in as an A, but he really became "Big Mac" as a Card. The same could be said about Reggie as an A and a Yankee. He put up his numbers in Oaktown, but everyone remembers him as a Yankee. It's a tough one.

11. jefhatfield thread starter Retired

jefhatfield

reggie is a really tough one to decide...what a player he was in his day!

12. Pete_Hoover macrumors regular

I am pretty sure that one is soccer.;)

13. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

:confused:

Now you have me confused, I thought THAT was foot ball. ;)

And the goal of the game is for the fans to riot. :eek:

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

I do like the nostalgia of baseball. Enjoyed listening to "Baseball," an original soundtrack recording on CD. Has anyone seen the film by Ken Burns, "Basball?"

15. jbomber macrumors 6502a

jbomber

whooo hooo!!!!

Go Hooliganry!!!!! (is that even a word?)

16. szark macrumors 68030

szark

Re: Re: baseball fans - do you expect...

You're WRONG!!! Just wait 'til next year! :D

(Lifetime Cubs Fan)

17. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

no... if they couldn't do it last year, I don't see it happening in the near future.

bonds to beat aaron
    I think he'll play past when he should retire, just because he wants the record so bad. So yes, even if he's hitting .200 by the end.

no way.

sadly... no. :(

they'd be lucky to make the postseason at this point.

ichiro to slow down
    yes. he's already slowing down but people are so caught up in ichiro mania that they don't realize it.

sadly... no. :(

they're already turning in to a hitting team... or at least a balanced team. they've lost a few good pitchers, and lately maddox isn't what we was.

sadly... no. :( (sox fan, can you tell?)

hahahaha! that's a good one.

nope.

other unbreakable records include Cy Young's losses and Cy Young's total decisions. :) Oh, and 61 homers in a season... without steroids. :p ;)

edit: Henderson's steals record is not entirely unbreakable, but close. People just don't play the game that way these days.