Baseball game Brouhaha

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by me_94501, Sep 14, 2004.

1. me_94501 macrumors 65816

me_94501

http://www.cnn.com/2004/US/09/14/rangers.fight.ap/index.html

:eek:

2. Apple Hobo macrumors 6502a

Apple Hobo

Is there any video of this?

If the heckler(s) got hurt, I say good for them; they deserved it. If the the wrong people got hit, that's not good.

3. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Those Oakland fans seem like they've been going crazy lately, I think it was just last week they were all throwing stuff onto the field during a game against the Red Sox. (ok, I don't really blame them because of Hudson's start, but still...) I think everyone just needs to remember it is just a game.

4. emw macrumors G4

emw

These athletes get paid millions of dollars to play a game. I think that if at this level they react to heckling by throwing chairs, that's unjustifiable, regardless of what the people may have said.

5. strider42 macrumors 65816

strider42

Being an A's fan, I was watching the game and the replay.

there was one heckler who was the focus of the initial verbal exchange by the way it looked. What he said I don't know. One of the pitchers tried to attack the fan and would have if he wasn't restrained. In the process of being restrained, the players all got around the area, then it looked like one of the players physically attacked the fan. At the point all heck broke loose and that other moron pitcher picked up a chair and hurtled it, hitting one guy in the head (not sure if he was the heckler or not, but I don't think so) and then it hit another woman who apprently wasn't involved and broke her nose.

This guy deserves to be arrested. No matter what the fan said, you can't relaly justify physically attacking a fan because of words. You definiltey can't justify throwing a chair when you aren't even the one that was being heckled. He should be suspended, arrested and sued. He deserves everything he's got coming to him. The fan was not the one at fault here. I don't care what he said. Pay me a million dollars and let me work only 162 days a year, and you can say whatever you want to me.

As far as the fans go, Oakland has had a few ugly incidents (throwing a cell phone at carl everette last year was one), but these are the vast minority of the fans there. Its one or two guys going overboard and being dumb. if a fan throws something at a player, they deserve whatever punishment they get, including being arrested. Most fans at the coliseum are great. Its one of the best baseball crowds you'll find, even if it isn't as large as other teams crowds.

espn.com appears to have video with the espn motion feature: http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/motion/showcase/index?videos=1881088 whcih I'm not sure is available for the Mac. I'm sure there's other video out there though.

6. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    If there is anyone stupid enough to throw a their cell phone at me, I would start making calls. Start out with 011 and then hit random numbers. Take bets on what letter the of the alphabet the country I called started with. When that got tiresome, 900 numbers.

7. me_94501 thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

As an A's fan, I resent this comment.

It's not the firsdt time fans of any team have gotten unruly, and it won't be the last. It's not just Oakland. It's New York, Chicago, Philiadelphia, Boston, all over. Does it mean it's right? No. But to say that "those Oaklnand fans" are getting out of hand is a little incredulous.

FWIW, from the reports I've read from stadium management and other fans, the fan wasn't using profane language (the Coliseum has a strict language policy). The fan was supposedly teasing a pitcher about his weight. Trust me, I've heard a lot worse insults. As a side note, from reports of fans that were there, Rangers pitcher Kenny Rogers (who punched out a teammate when he played with Oakland in 1999) was using his middle finger quite liberally.

Here's another link to video of the incedent. WMP required.

8. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

My apologies, I didn't mean any disrespect to the A's fans. I was kind of joking, as I'm a Red Sox fan and saw the game when the fans started throwing object onto the field last week (or so). You're right, it does happen everywhere, and usually always gets worse during the crucial parts of the season.

9. zelmo macrumors 603

zelmo

Fans and ballplayers alike have no right to throw objects. Sure, we all get excited in the heat of a game (well, I might if the O's could ever get above .500 again!), and a little friendly jaw-boning is okay. Violence is inexcusable. He should get the book thrown at him by MLB, face criminal charges, and then deal with the civil suits as well. I hope his career is over, and that he gets traded for a pack of Camels in prison.

10. applemacdude macrumors 68040

applemacdude

11. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Me too. If anyone threw his mobile phone at me, I'd be phoning up the American consulate.....in China. They'd probably put you on hold, and that would be that. :p

I hope he gets in trouble, but I hope he doesn't get sued for lots of money. People get compensated too much for "traumatic" events in the US. :rolleyes:

12. mactastic macrumors 68040

mactastic

Look kids! It's ok to resort to violence when you're being taunted and can't think of a reply of your own.

If this guy doesn't get nailed to the wall it sets a really bad example. While I don't necessarily subscribe to the idea that sports stars are necessarily role models, I think MLB should act in a way that sends a clear message that violence is not the appropriate response to heckling.

13. dotnina macrumors 6502a

I was about to post something like this myself.

Baseball is one of the more "innocent" sports (ie, compared to hockey). Lots of kids go to baseball games and look up to the players. Moreover, some probably play in little league.

This is not the example to set. I'd like to see this pitcher give everyone a huge apology, preferably from a jail cell. :)

14. me_94501 thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

It's OK. We A's fans just get a lot of nonsense abouut people seeing us all as thugs and gangstas (oh and apathetic--we get that a lot too) and it wears on you after a while.

At least we both despise the Yankees. :D

15. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I think everyone remembers what happened in Boston last year at the ALCS vs the Yankees. The fact is that when we get to this point in the season with teams trying to get a spot in the playoffs, people will go nuts no matter how right or wrong they may be. That said, they are saying that this might turn out to be the biggest suspension and fine ever given out to any player in the history of Major League Baseball, as well it should. Plus he might face jail time for this incident.

16. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

This is a horrible situation. I hope that Francisco is thrown out of baseball for 1 year. He would deserve every day of that suspension. (Please Bud, do it swiftly)

Regardless of what was said, Baseball players should be smarter than this. Just ignore the fan and focus on the game, you're there to play ball.

I mean seriously, this is like two kids on the play ground. Totally uncalled for at this level. Just sickening.

17. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

True :) I didn't know people thought you guys were thugs/gangsters to begin with. That's not cool, how does that compare to the Giants fans?

18. me_94501 thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

Yeah, there's definitely the impression from some others that that's all there is in Oakland. When people think of Oakland, they seem to just think about the eastern edge where most of the killings take place. Oakland has a bad rap.

Anyway, I don't see a huge difference between the true Giants fans and A's fans, except for the fact that a lot of the "fans" at SBC Park (mostly corporate types) really don't care as much about the game--unless Bonds is up, that is.

19. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

Yeah, I'm getting tired of Bonds, but I suppose he won't retire until he breaks the home run record, which is kind of too bad.

20. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Personally I think the best baseball fans are on the east coast, if you have ever been to a Red Sox or a Yankee game you will see some die hard baseball fans. The fans on the west coast for the most part seem fake and uninterested in the game itself and are only there because they have a lot of money to buy good seats. Im sure there are die hards out there but for the most part just like everything else out there they are fake bandwagoners who only care if the team is wining and even then they don't seem to know or understand the game.

21. MacFan26 macrumors 65816

MacFan26

What about east coast baseball fans that live on the west coast? :D
    There's definitely die hard fans in Arizona, although attendance has dropped this season, but I think it's the franchise's own fault, they traded most of our best players last season.

22. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

I don't care what people say, Bonds is not good for baseball, he isn't a role-model and only cares about himself and not the rest of the team. I want to see him hit all these homeruns without the steroids, i know a lot of yankee haters will tell me to say the same about Giambi and I would agree, the integrity of the game far outweighs cheating and I don't care what team they play for.

23. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

If they were diehards, the attendance would of stayed strong, unless of course the team sucks and its not worth watching crap (Mets cough cough) ;)

24. OldManJimbo macrumors 6502

OldManJimbo

Wrong is wrong

Take this incident out of a sports arena and place it in a shopping mall or school yard. The person picking up a chair and hurling it would be charged with numerous crimes - regardless of the provocation.

The same should happen to the idiot in question. In addition, the Commissioner should call for an immediate suspension and fine him a huge amount of money to send a message to the other over-paid, 'roided up losers who've ruined the game that their childish behavior is not to be tolerated.

This sort of thing just pissed me off. Obnoxious fans notwithstanding you don't throw things into a crowd. :mad:

25. me_94501 thread starter macrumors 65816

me_94501

Buddy, you gotta get yourself out to the Oakland Coliseum! There aren't as many of us as say Yankees fans, but we're probably some of the most passionate fans on the west coast. We get into it. Bases loaded? Fans get on their feet. Two strikes in a critical point in the game? Fans are psuhing for the strikeout. We chant. We heckle. We wave our flags and pound our drums. It's a lot of fun. Heck, even when there's 15,000 in the park, there is a certain energy in the place.

And MacFan26, this is what I was talking about when I said that A's fans get a bad rap: http://www.forums.mlb.com/n/mb/message.asp?webtag=ml-mlb&msg=37270.1