Baseball Hall Of Famer Kirby Puckett has died

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by MacNut, Mar 6, 2006.

1. MacNut macrumors Core

MacNut

Twins organization saddened by death of Kirby Puckett
    http://mlb.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/...ent_id=1337465&vkey=pr_min&fext=.jsp&c_id=min

Ft. Myers, FL/Minneapolis, MN -- The entire Minnesota Twins organization is saddened by the loss of Twins great Kirby Puckett. Puckett, 45, passed away this afternoon due to complications resulting from a stroke, suffered on Sunday (March 5) morning at his home in Scottsdale, Ariz. After being transported to Scottsdale Memorial Hospital on Sunday morning, Puckett was airlifted to Scottsdale Osborne Hospital, where he underwent neurosurgery. Following the surgery he was transported to St. Joseph's Hospital and Medical Center in Phoenix, AZ.

"This is a sad day for the Minnesota Twins, Major League Baseball and baseball fans everywhere," Twins owner Carl Pohlad said. "Eloise and I loved Kirby deeply. Kirby's impact on the Twins organization, State of Minnesota and Upper Midwest is significant and goes well beyond his role in helping the Twins win two World Championships. A tremendous teammate, Kirby will always be remembered for his never-ending hustle, infectious personality, trademark smile and commitment to the community. There will never be another 'Puck'."

2. thedude110 macrumors 68020

thedude110

Impossible for me to believe.

A tremendous hitter and a smile worth a million dollars -- such a silly circumstance to cause me paroxysms of reflection on my own health.

I blame capitalism.

3. MacsomJRR macrumors 6502a

MacsomJRR

44 years old. wow. He was a great ball player no doubt and he will be sorely missed.

Let this be a lesson to all of us to eat healthy and exercise. Heart attack is no way to leave this place.

4. treblah macrumors 65816

treblah

That sucks.

From a very young age he was one of my favorite players for a silly reason, we share the same birthday. But as I really got into baseball he remained a favorite because of his stellar sportsmanship and ability.

R.I.P. Kirby :(

5. iSaint macrumors 603

iSaint

wow, how sad. I just read of the stroke this afternoon, now he's died. The good ones, players and role models, die too young. Like Reggie White...

6. Aarow macrumors 6502a

My dad is really sad. He liked Kirby a lot.

R.I.P, Kirby.

7. iRachel macrumors 6502a

8. Counterfit macrumors G3

Counterfit

I've always loved Kirby, if for nothing else than his name.

Heh, "Puckett" sounds like a swear. :eek:

9. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Too bad. I remember watching him when I was a kid. :(

10. MacNut thread starter macrumors Core

MacNut

http://espn.go.com/classic/hof01/puckett.html

Along with Dave Winfield is the 36th player to be elected to the Hall of Fame in their first year of eligibility.

Becomes 20th center fielder elected to the Hall of Fame, and is the 44th Hall of Famer to spend his entire career with one franchise.

Won two World Championships (1987 and 1991) during his 12-year career with the Minnesota Twins.

Won American League batting title in 1989, finishing with a .339 average.
    His 2,040 hits in his first 10 seasons are the most in baseball history.

A 10-time All-Star and a six-time Gold Glove winner.

Was named the MVP of the 1991 ALCS, a series in which the Twins defeated the Toronto Blue Jays to advance to the World Series.

Hit a game-winning walkoff home run in Game 6 of the '91 World Series.
    Retired at the age of 36 after developing glaucoma in his right eye.

11. adk macrumors 68000

adk

As somebody who has seen him hit a 3 run game winning bomb in the bottom of the ninth I can surely say I'll miss puck more than most...

12. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I can't believe this has happend. I thought he would just recover. We lost a truly great player.

RIP Kirby

13. Deepdale macrumors 68000

Deepdale

Kirby was a very gifted player who will be missed. As unfortunate as his latest health setback was, I thought a recovery was likely. It is a sad and sobering reminder that illnesses strike all age groups.

14. Rocksaurus macrumors 6502a

Rocksaurus

44, wow. For reference Barry Bonds is still playing and he's 41. I wonder how many years he's got left?

15. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

kirby puckett was one of the reasons i used to like baseball.

rip

16. Bubbasteve macrumors 65816

Bubbasteve

The worst thing about this is that he was too young to pass on at the age of 45

17. jeremy.king macrumors 603

jeremy.king

Taking a cue from adk, I (too) have chosen to honor my favorite athlete of all time with a nice avatar...I encourage everyone to do the same. Even add an eye patch if you need to...

18. XNine macrumors 68040

XNine

Why are you wearing that stupid man suit?
    my father is distraught. Growing up a native of Minnesota, loving the twins and vikings (and northstars before they were moved), he's a huge fan. Kirby was one of his favorites. And, as a kid, he was one of mine too simply because he was great. I had the chance to see him play in 91 when I was with my parents in Minnesota. Truly great, and before everything went money based and baseball became the pile of boring crap it is now.