Baseball Strike, Do Anyone Cares?

Discussion in 'Community' started by Rajj, Aug 28, 2002.

?

Do you care if the cry babies strike?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  2. No

6 vote(s)
    19.4%
  3. Strike and don't come back!!

22 vote(s)
    71.0%
  4. I will forgive you guys if you strike.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Rajj macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Why would anyone on average makes 2 Million Dollars a year,

have something to cry about?

I hope they strike and never come back!!!

Punk azz cry babies!!:mad: :mad:

2. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

for me it's not only that they're selfish... but also, i've noticed that well... baseball is boring as hell

i say good riddance

3. Durandal7 macrumors 68040

Major League Baseball will be gone in the next 10 years. Nuff' said.

4. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

After several conversations over the last few months with a baseball player the truth is that at least 80% of the ballplayers don't want to strike... several including Alex Rodriguez (the highest paid athlete ever) have gone on record saying they support a pay cut and just want to keep playing. The problem lies with unions and the head of the unions want more money and to have more control over the game. Unions have complete control over their employees and many ballplayers come home this weekend they are just as pissed off as anyone else. Probably more so because it is their career.. and just your hobby.

Yes they make good money and they are overpayed.. but that has nothing to do with it. Like every single problem in every single business the problem lies with upper management and laywers.

Baseball players have dedicated every spare minute of their lives to this game because they love playing... and now some jackass in a suit is telling them they can't play because they want a bigger house. Teams like the Pittsburgh Pirates, Minnesota Twins, and the Boston Red Socks are having great seasons and they have to throw it all away because of management. And they are pissed.

Its absolute bull****. You are right. But don't believe its the players... its the layers baby.

5. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

lawyers...

yeah, that doesn't surprise me... and i know some players don't get THAT much money. mainly in the minor leagues... but not enough people know the truth... so it's a tough call

that said, it's still boring.

6. saint macrumors regular

The only thing more boring than American football...
    is baseball. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

that is all.

7. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

we'll have to agree to disagree... that is, football's cool

though, soccer (football) is much better than the rap it gets here in the states. a very exciting sport indeed.

8. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Are you Crazy????

A-Rod retracted that statement 5 minutes later by saying that was an unrealistic statement or offer!!;)

If they don't want to strike, then they won't!!!! It is as simple as that!!! But they are to greedy, so they will!!;)

So screw 'em

9. whfsdude macrumors 6502a

Baseball doesn't care about it's fans it cares about money and winning. Football headed that way to, or maybe it just seems that way to me because we have the Redskins :::cough cough:::

I would like to see hockey get more attention that sport rocks :D

10. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

Hockey?:rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Ok the only fun part about Hockey is the fighting!!;) :p

11. Kethoticus macrumors 6502

Kethoticus

love the game...

And for those who say 'good riddance', I say ignore it if it bugs you so much. That's easy enough. But it's my favorite sport. Period. My team's in first. Again. Now these morons are gonna pull this crap again? I don't care if it's the lawyers, Union, whoever. The players have mouths, don't they? They have their own will, don't they? If they feel that they can use their collective power to bend the owners to their will, then surely they can do the same to the union heads.

Mike Piazza was on TV the other day saying that people shouldn't be giving the players this guilt trip in light of Sept 11th. Then he went on to say that the game's a distraction and support or something for the nation. That's why we shouldn't be giving them a guilt trip? The idiot just contradicted himself. (I really wish I had the exact quote on-hand.)

If they strike, it will be a long time before I sit in a baseball stadium again.

12. job macrumors 68040

job

i like rugby myself.

i was a right-winger.

13. diorio macrumors 6502a

Who cares if those selfish babies go on strike. They make more money in one year than most of us see in our lives.

14. mcrain macrumors 68000

mcrain

Sorry, but lawyers do what their clients want them to do. This isn't a case where it is the lawyers, this is a situation where a labor union is doing things against its and its members interests.

There does not need to be a strike. August 30 is an arbitrary date. If they wanted to, and if they felt a deal was near, they could ALWAYS move the date, but the Union won't because it is a union.

You can say what you want about lawyers, but we are no where near as slimey and underhanded as the union representatives.

15. krossfyter macrumors 601

krossfyter

i say strike and dont come back. really selfish people man. really selfish.

they should take a lesson from a small town school teacher who gets underpaid for more important work and still is humble.

16. Roger1 macrumors 65816

Roger1

Baseball Strike

Let's see: Millionaires (baseball players) going on strike because the billionaires (owners) don't pay them enough. Hmmmm. Lot's of pity here. Go to www.strangecosmos.com. They have a couple of really funny pictures about the impending baseball strike. BTW, the Tigers can't go out of business until the taxpayers finish paying for their new stadium (The owner was fresh out of money that week. He must have donated it to his favorite political party).:D

17. alex_ant macrumors 68020

alex_ant

Let them strike

I'm usually all for labor unions - they can serve a useful purpose. But not here, not when there's so much money involved and the only reason the unions exist is greed.

Is anyone else tired of high-profile pro sports in general? People pay lots of money to watch their favorite home-town team play, and to cheer on their favorite players, when in reality the players don't care about the fans. 99% of all players play where the money is. When a player gets an offer from another ball club across the country, that's it, they're up and packing. Kids idolize pro atheletes, and what are they learning? That you should play for the team that pays the most money, that team loyalty is foolish, that focusing on your own stats should take precedence over helping the team, that your fans are faceless nobodies, and that you should up and leave when a bigger deal comes your way. Players move from team to team so rapidly and in such high volumes these days that it's impossible to keep track of where they all are unless you watch SportsCenter every night. It's a joke. The MLB, NFL, and MLB (not familiar with the NHL) these days are fueled by greed and pretty much nothing else.

It's no wonder minor-league sports are flourishing. If you ask me, the best thing the major-league sports could do is turn themselves back into the minor-league operations they once were. An extremely low ($300k) salary cap or perhaps even equal pay for all players. After all, the players are supposed to be in it for the love of the game, not for money, and the good ones will have endorsement opportunities anyway. Once owners are no longer forced to pay mega millions for their players, they will be able to afford to reduce ticket, food, and merchandise prices, causing attendance to soar, and popularity to rise just the same due to a greater "connection" between the people and the local sports team. I'm from Green Bay, so I know what connection to a sports team is all about. :)

Just had to get my daily rant in there...

Alex

18. BongHits macrumors regular

not only is baseball the worst sport in the league...these guys who are playing are playing for money...i say to hell with them...fire them all and create teams of amateurs and bring baseball back to its roots (the love of the game) then maybe the other sports would catch wind that they're not royalty and all of their wealth doesn't make them gods gift to earth...i hate million dollar people who think they have it bad.
    alex_ant...preach the word my brother ;)

green bay huh? :eek: i take it all back haha

from chicago

19. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

I guess I'm in the minority. Well, since I'm from Minnesota, and the Twins will make the playoffs, I might as well see them get kicked out rather than have no baseball. Heck, they beat Seattle 2 of 3, I can't wait to see them play Oakland...that is if they play...*sniff*...If they strike, I'll be pissed, then sad, then I won't care about baseball anymore. Its football season! Then hockey season!:D Let the contact sports begin! :D:D:D;)

20. bousozoku Moderator emeritus

I watched major league baseball until the last strike. The last time I watched baseball was when the local Little League team won the national championship.

I loved hockey and I stopped watching them too after the strike.

Let them live on minimum wage and see if they whine then.

21. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

22. Over Achiever macrumors 68000

Over Achiever

hehe...so i got a little emotional...:eek: :p :D :cool:

23. jelloshotsrule macrumors G3

jelloshotsrule

well, no strike

ahh well.. so much for the fun that'd have been

24. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

Re: Baseball Strike, Do Anyone Cares?

last year, the average person made $23,400 dollars USD a year in my county in northern california...monterey county

one third of the work force has at least an AA or AS degree which makes us far more educated than the rest of the nation on average

the highest earner in my county that made the press was the president of a local junior college and this phd had a salary or 100k+ and got some government kickback bonuses...some of those bonuses were kind of bogus and the press crucified this person since his yearly take was $200,000 USD

and to think that the average major league baseball player, many of them who are not anywhere as educated at the college president here...makes ten times what he does???

but then again, could a fat, really fat fifty year old phd hit a 95 mph fastball...or could he pitch one

someone who makes the majors is one in several hundred thousand and is an extremely rare bird...they bring in huge revenues to the owners and the organizations, not to mention the big bucks made on mdse. and other stuff

in my opinion, they deserve it

why does bill gates have 50 billion+...is that fair when many believe his best gift is stealing, cheating, and lying

let the baseball player have his two million dollar average salary...my 2 million...i mean 2 cents:p

25. Rajj thread starter macrumors 6502a

Rajj

:rolleyes: :rolleyes: :rolleyes:
    Ahhh the American way eh?

If the owners and players really gave a damn about the fans,

they would lower the prices for attending those long boring

azz games!!!!;)

I think they should take some notes from the minor league, on

how to care about the fans!! ;) ;)