Basic Airport Express w/iMac Internet Sharing

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by miked_in_canada, Jan 3, 2006.

1. miked_in_canada macrumors member

Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble setting up my new Airport Express.

I have an iMac G5 (the last version before the webcam version) and I usually turn Internet Sharing on to let my iBook access the web as well. I figure this is what they call a wireless network. I got Airport Express for Christmas and I'd like to extend the iMac's internet sharing reach and also to use AirTunes.

The trouble is, I can't configure Airport Express while I'm running Internet sharing. But when I turn sharing off, I can't set up the Airport Express to recognize the wireless network I want to run because I've turned it off!

Setting AE up by connecting the modem to it is not an option due to the location of the cable/power outlets in my place.

There must be something simple I'm overlooking here. I did a quick search and came up with nothing. The picture of what I want is in the instruction manual, I must just be tired. If someone could point me in the right direction, I'd appreciate it.

All the best,

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

The network between the iBook and the iMac is an ad-hoc network. It is not an "actual" wireless network in that it is temporary and difficult to manipulate. Unfortunately, you cannot add the Express to the ad-hoc network.

Your best option is to put the Express on the end of the modem and connect to it separately with the iMac and iBook however I understand you don't want to do that. Nevertheless, I think it would easily be the best option.

The next best option would be to plug the Express into the iMac's ethernet port and then wirelessly connect the iBook to the Express. So, you connect the modem to the iMac, then the Express gets hardwired to the iMac and the iBook connects to the Express. This is a pretty pointless set up though, considering it won't add much to your current scenario.

I'm not even sure if this third option will work, but you might be able to set up the Express as a wireless network without an internet connection, then connect the iMac and iBook to it. Have the iMac get its internet connection through ethernet (or USB) and then share it on to the iBook over this new network. I don't know if this sort of internet sharing works when bounced through a router though. :eek:

Are you sure you can't just connect the Express to the modem? All this thinking is making my head hurt. :(

3. miked_in_canada thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the overview! I think you're right. Setting the modem up with Airport has to be the way to go. I think I'll need a cable splitter though with the TV right next to it.

Is that going to mess with my bandwidth?

I still need to figure out AirTunes, but this is the info I needed.

Thanks again.

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Your bandwidth should be fine. Good luck with it. :)