Basic download install question

Discussion in 'Mac Help/Tips' started by eVolcre, Apr 11, 2003.

1. eVolcre macrumors 65816

eVolcre

So I'm trying to install Safari. Clicked on the download button and it brought down a file called "safari.dmg"

Now what? Is this the Apple equivalent of a .exe file?

In the future when I download utilities, will I always be dealing with a .dmg file or are there other variants?

THX KSR

2. losfp macrumors regular

hehehe.. I had to figure this out for myself too..

a dmg file is a disk image file. you double click on it and it mounts on your desktop, kinda like a "virtual drive". you can then double click it to open it up and browse its contents. normally to install an app, you drag its icon from the dmg to your apps folder.

afterwards, don't forget to eject the mounted drive.

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

A dmg is an Apple Disk Image. This is sort of a pretend disk. Double click on it and the "disk" will be mounted. It will apear as a white disk icon on your desktop. Open this (double click) and inside is either the Safari Application (Safari.app) or the Safari installer. If it's the installer it will be an Apple Installer bundle. Simply double click it to launch the installer.

Most Mac software ships as either an Installer package, or simply the App compressed. Mac Apps can generally be moved around by dragging them to a new location and do not break like Windows ones when you do this.

Hope that helps.

4. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

thanks guys but I think I'm doing something wrong here ...

Safari.dmg is sitting on my desktop.

I double click it and it says mounting, waiting for disk copy helper.

Then, nothing happens. I just opened up 'disk copy helper' form the apple menu. Dragged the safari.dmg icon over .... and it says

"Unable to mount the disk image driver"

Shall I try downloading safari again?

Follow on question

a) how do i move safari to my dock? Drag it there?

b) How do I arrange apps in my doc and decide who stays and who goes ?

c) How do I eject the drive losfp?

Lots of questions but for a complete and total mac newbie, I think I'm doing ok .... :)

KSR

Thanks for all the help fellas. It really is appreciated. What a nice community this is ....

5. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Sounds like the dmg is corrupt? Try deleting it (drag to the trash can) and redownloading. Once you get it to mount you can unmount (eject) it by dragging the icon from the desktop to the trashcan (which will change to an eject symbol). This is also how to get disks out of the optical drive (take a look at it - no eject button). You can rearange the apps on your dock by dragging the icons (it's that easy). If you quit an app (cmd-Q) and it stays on the dock and you don't want it there just drag it off the dock. Note that on the Mac apps don't normally quite when their last window is closed unless they are single window apps.

6. losfp macrumors regular

well, it depends on what happens when you launch the dmg... if you see a .pkg file, that's like an installer (like a setup.exe file in windows, for example).. sometimes it will just say "install xxxxx" or "xxx installer" etc.

if there is an icon in there with the app name, all you would have to do is drag that into your apps folder.

if the dmg isn't mounting properly.. then I guess try downloading it again?

in response to your other questions...

1) yep, to put it in your dock, just drag it into the position you want.

2) up to you. drag and drop!

3) same as ejecting a CD, etc.. right-click and select "eject", or drag it to your trash.

7. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

OK, I think between the two of you, I understand how .dmg and the trashcan work.

Now, I don't think 'diskcopy helper' is working right because I can't get ANYTHING to mount.

Downloaded versiontracker.dmg , double clicked , it says something about 'disk copy helper', spins and then returns tostatus quo. If I open disk copy directly from the APPLE menu, and then drag the dmg file into it, I get this error ...

"unable to load the disk image driver. Invald argument (-536870208)

:confused: :( :confused:

8. losfp macrumors regular

Errrrrr... in that case, I'll have to turn this one over to people who know what they're doing - I've never had a problem with mounting DMGs. good luck! :)

9. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

lofsp,

Don't feel bad. Just to make you feel better, here's another question .... ;-)

I did manage to get Safari installed. In fact, THIS post, is from Safari. *yay*

Now, How do I minimise and maximise windows to fit the visible area? I now have the Safari window manually sized to fit my screen (doc on right side), is there a button I can click to do the same thing?

And, is there a 'show desktop' button like windows that minimises all windows?

Thanks pal! Appreciate your help even though I'm taking this thread off topic. It should be retitle ... "Help, for I know now what I do..." :)

KSR

10. eVolcre thread starter macrumors 65816

eVolcre

Well, I think I have installs figured out with the .dmg etc.

How about uninstalling software?

I installed the Serene Scene screensaver for example.

There is one folder that I have in the applications folder , one icon on the desktop and one folder in the Library->Screensaver folder.

How would I go about, if needed, uninstall this entire program from my machine?

Thx!

11. ebow macrumors 6502a

ebow

To uninstall most software, just move it to the Trash and empty. In your case, you can discard the Library/Screensavers file, the folder in Applications, and whatever it is on the desktop. Though I'm surprised you had to download any sort of application for a screen saver -- the System Preferences has controls for the screen saver in the Screen Effects pane.

There are a few apps where you'll want to actually uninstall them, such as drivers. If a piece of software comes with an installer, there may be an "uninstall" option **within that installer**. Then you just run the installer, select the uninstall option, and poof.

For most software, though, it's drag to install, drag to remove. :cool:

12. losfp macrumors regular

The green button with the + sign should maximise windows, kinda. but depending on the app, it might only resize to fit whatever you have in the window.

A cool trick that I brought over from Internet Explorer for Windows... set up a bookmark, and put the following into the address - javascript:resizeTo(1024,768)

Click on the bookmark and it'll resize to that size :D