Basic iDVD question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Espnetboy3, May 26, 2005.

1. Espnetboy3 macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    Ok I used iDVD once when I was using imovie about a year ago. I have just finised a project in Premiere and I rendered it so it is about 20 minutes long and 3.9 gig. How in idvd do I import the footage. I mean I made the title screen, the menu and stuff, but in the map even when I drag the video into the autoplay to simply burn this damn dvd it still says dvd capacity is only 1.2 gig of 4.7 so the whole movie defentely cant be in there. Basic help on how to use idvd please. Thanks
  2. ITASOR macrumors 601

Mar 20, 2005
    Oneida, NY
    If this helps, I've found that the capacity thing on the left there isn't very accurate. It said 3GB left when I put a 3.8GB file on it.
  3. Espnetboy3 thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 1, 2003
    Yea i noticed that. But how do I take a mpeg movie i have and put it into a menu that i label play so when u click it it play? I just know how to make it launch and play the dvd without a menu title screen.
  4. LethalWolfe macrumors G3

Jan 11, 2002
    Los Angeles
    AFAIK anything you drag into iDVD will be compressed into DVD compliant MPEG-2. So if you drag an MPEG-2 file you exported out of Premiere into iDVD it will compress it again. That is why the file size is so small 'cause iDVD has compressed your compressed movie. Export out of Premiere at full res and let iDVD do the MPEG-2 compression.

5. mduser63 macrumors 68040

Nov 9, 2004
    Salt Lake City, UT
    Premiere generally exports AVI DV format, which is about 12 GB per hour of footage (thus 20 minutes is about 4 GB), when you import it into iDVD it's being compressed to MPEG2, and the file size is going down a lot. DVDs ONLY use MPEG2 compression for video, and what you're seeing is normal. It just means that you can fit a lot more than 20 minutes on a DVD. If you have other stuff you'd like to put on the DVD, you can, if not, just make your menus and burn the disc, you should be fine.