Basic iMac rev "a" questions

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by tribe3, Nov 13, 2005.

1. macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2005
    Vienna, VA - USA
    Please excuse me for bringing up a subject that must have been beaten to death long time ago but:

My wife has a 17" 1.8Ghz G5 iMac with 64MB VRAM (so I believe it’s a rev “a”), and the fan is always ON.

The computer has less than 1 month left of the original warranty so I want to do something before it expires. I was at an AppleStore last week and they said “bring it in and we’ll fix it”, it takes 4 or 5 days - Sounds good!

Is it as simple as that? Do they change something and it becomes “quiet”? I really hope so!

Please any info will be appreciated.
  2. macrumors 68020

Mar 22, 2005
    I'm not to sure, I stayed away from the Rev A models and waited for the Rev B. But if it really is always on and quite noisy definitly take it in and get it looked at/fixed, before the warranty runs out.
  3. macrumors 68000

May 15, 2005
    NG9, England
    From what others tend to say, it is as simple as that. What they will do though is down to the store I guess. If it is faulty hardware, they will probably have to replace parts, if it is an incorrect setting, easy to change it I would have thought.

If it is something that can't be corrected cheaply, it can take up to 4-5 days, so that's why they quote it. I would also be cautious and not take the risk that you will get back the machine you took in. You almost certainly will, but before any repairs, however small, I would always back up as much as possible onto CD/DVD. You can never be too cautious over these matters.
  4. thread starter macrumors 6502

Nov 1, 2005
    Vienna, VA - USA
    Thanks for the info ;)
    I'll back up to an external HD, and I'm also thinking of wiping out all the info on "keychain"; bank data and all that stuff :eek:
  5. macrumors 6502a

Oct 21, 2003
    Also, the fan will be on "higher" for most of the time if your CPU setting is set to "highest" in your System Preferences>Energy Saver CP.