Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by sycamore, Aug 27, 2006.

1. sycamore macrumors newbie

Aug 27, 2006
    I have a lot of music stored into my External hard drive and I would like to be able to organise it in iTUNE without having to transfer everything on the macintosh HD, so that the sofware plays the tunes from my external hd without having to copy all on the Mac HD.

is that possible? if not how do I get around it?? I can get to organise all this music!!
    thanx guys appreciated!!

2. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

Staff Member

Jan 20, 2005
    Basically, what you need to do is go into iTunes preferences and change the location of your music library to the external drive. Have a look at Apple's page on moving your iTunes folder/library to make sure you have all of the preferences set up correctly.
  3. pianoman macrumors 68000

May 31, 2006
    that is probably going to be a tricky move. first of all, make sure you back up your music to a location that won't be handled during this process.

move EVERYTHING to the external hard drive (as is) and go to iTunes prefs and click on "change..." iTunes music folder under the "advanced" tab. select the folder on your external HD that has your music. iTunes should take care of it from there.

hopefully someone can elaborate on this more if it is in any way unclear. this is how i would do it.