Basic Mac money managing software

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by killuminati, Aug 3, 2006.

1. killuminati macrumors 68020

killuminati

I'm looking for very basic (free if possible) money managing software.

I just want to be able to do simple things like keep track of the opening and closing balance of my account at the end of every month. So for example I could go and see that in January I started out with xxx, I deposited xxx, I withdrew/spent xxx and at the end of the month I ended up with xxx.

2. reh macrumors 6502a

3. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

Liquid Ledger is great. Quicken also comes free with new consumer Macs.

4. killuminati thread starter macrumors 68020

killuminati

Thank you, that looks perfect for my needs :)

And thanks TJ, my sisters macbook arrived today so I might try out Quicken on hers if she has it.

5. coastertux macrumors regular

Actually, it comes with Quickbooks, a business program.

6. Sox macrumors regular

I've been using iBank since the end of college, and it's been fantastic. Very intuitive interface, and it was the most elegant third-party financial apps checked out (always important on a Mac).

7. elbirth macrumors 65816

Rather than making a new thread (unless it becomes necessary), I'll ask here...

I'm actually looking for a good money managing app as well. I've been using Checkbook for a little while, but still am pretty much a novice in how it works, though I have my 3 main accounts setup in it with recurring deposits/debits and all.

I think I'd like something a little more feature-rich though... I'm going to check out iBank as the screenshots of it look promising.
    However, does anyone know if there's an app out there that will let you account for interest earned on savings accounts? Or does one of these apps have that feature that I'm just not seeing.

One other thing. I know some apps let you import .csv files from your online accounts that support it, but it'd be nice to somehow automate the process of downloading that and importing it on a regular basis if there's no way to account for interest rates.

8. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I use cashbox. GOogle for it, it's late and I'm lazy.

9. bobert1985 macrumors member

Yeah, I haven't used Cashbox, so I'm not sure if it is for you, but here is the link, and it's free. I just downloaded this free program called Burn that keeps track of your expenses. So far it looks pretty nice, but it doesn't do any of that other stuff, just expenses.

http://www.blackholemedia.com/burn/

http://www.fadingred.org/cashbox/

10. tjwett macrumors 68000

tjwett

the Pro machines (MacBook Pro, PowerMac) come with Quickbooks, while the Consumer machines (iMac, iBook, MacBook, mini) come with Quicken.

11. Synapple macrumors regular

My vote goes to cashbox.
    It does exactly what you asked for... nothing more, nothing less.

12. MacVault macrumors 65816

I guess you're looking for a "basic" personal finance manger, but let me just tell you that unfortunately there are no real good fully-featured personal finance managers for Mac OS X. Almost all financial instituions have direct-connect type support for only Quicken and MS Money, and the Quicken supporters are usually Windows-only due to the fact that Intuit charges them an extra $10,000 per 3 years for Mac support.

The Mac version of Quicken is nowhere near as good and feature rich as the Windows version. This is a shame, and I wish Quicken would just stop supporting Mac altogether. I was hoping the latest version, Quicken 2007, which just came out, would change this. But it's just a few superficial changes to the program. Intuit has had their chance to get with it and it's too late as far as I'm concerned. Yea, it pisses me off.

I even emailed my gripes to Steve Bennett, Intuit's CEO, and he said they are taking a hard look at what to do with the future of Quicken for Mac, which sounds to me like they want to pull the plug on it.

13. MacVault macrumors 65816

Reason for Apple having to restate financials...

Here's why... because the only real personal finance manager Steve Jobs has to use on his Mac is Quicken - which, as I stated earlier, sucks major a$$! Intuit should be ashamed of themselves!

14. BulkHedd macrumors 6502

BulkHedd

I found this thread while looking for recommendations for a personal finance program for my new MacBook. Some people have said that the MacBook comes with Quicken. Is this something that Apple is no longer doing? I didn't see Quicken on my MacBook (Core 2 Duo bought in November).