Basic Networking .... Help!

Discussion in 'macOS' started by Rog210, May 6, 2005.

1. Rog210 macrumors regular

Mar 23, 2004
    Networking isn't one of my strongpoints. I have a wireless network set up at work using a fixed IP address, a Cisco router and airport express. At home, I have an ADSLnation router and an airport express. I'd like to be able to remotely log into the G5 at work which connects wirelessly to he office network but I'm clueless as to where to begin.

In the Sharing pane, the G5 is shown as ... is this the address on the office network? how do i reach this computer from home? Do i somehow need to tell the cisco router something?

Any help would be appreciated!
  2. daveL macrumors 68020

Jun 18, 2003
    Any machine or network that you need to access over the internet needs a public IP address. Off hand, I'd have to say that your setup is complicated enough that there are too many variables involved for someone on a forum to help you. If I were you, I'd find a local resource that can actually look at the router configuration, WiFi settings, firewall rules and ISP information to figure out how to proceed. It's not going to happen bouncing posts back and forth.