Basic Word/Office question

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by reykjavik, Aug 18, 2005.

1. reykjavik macrumors 6502

Everytime I try to quote something in Word, as in "yadda", the quotes themselves immediately turn to this: « and » instead of " and ". What do I do? I can't seem to stop it from switching on me....

2. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Probably something in the Language settings. Make sure you have English (UK, preferably :D ) selected under the Tools menu. If you have French or something it automatically changes the quotes to <<. (I think this is "smart quotes", something that can be turned off under AutoCorrect.)

3. superbovine macrumors 68030

superbovine

what font are you using? word usually has "smartquotes" on my default which means it replaces straight quotes with the properly curly quotoes. the font you are using might not have those characters, instead it has « and ». you can either use single quotes or change the autoformat option under tools->autocorrect

[edit] doh beat me

4. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

:D yey!! I got in there first (this time with a correct answer I hope) :p

5. reykjavik thread starter macrumors 6502

hmmmm...that was strange, my language was set to Russian! Anyway, I changed it to US and it worked! Thanks :)

Now the real question is, why wasnt I emailed and notified that there were responses to my post even though I selected "instant notification"?

6. dops7107 macrumors 6502a

dops7107

Not sure. Sometimes the system is less than perfect and "forgets" to send email. Maybe if the server is very busy. Or perhaps it got caught by a spam filter?