Bass Guitar

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Sideonecincy, Aug 5, 2006.

1. Sideonecincy macrumors 6502

Sep 29, 2003
    I wasn't sure if this should be put in either community or digital audio section, but here it is.

I quit playing bass a few years and am looking to get another one and not really sure what kind to get. I want to get a 4 string and would prolly be buying it off ebay. I was looking towards Ibanez and Fender. Do any of you play bass? Any recommendations on what to get?
  2. SuperSnake2012 macrumors 6502a

Oct 11, 2005
    What kind of music do you play? I'd recommend a Fender Precision or Jazz bass... you have to play the two of them to see which one you like better though. I like P bass bodies and jazz pickups. :)
  3. SpookTheHamster macrumors 65816

Nov 7, 2004
    Personally, I don't like Ibanez or Fender basses. But if I had to choose between those brands I'd go for a Fender Jazz bass.

Try to find a Warwick bass, or a Rockbass if you can't stretch to the price of a Warwick. They sound beautiful, and are probably the easiest basses in the world to play.
  4. howard macrumors 68020

Nov 18, 2002
    yeah, warwick are awesome. nice round thick fat tone, plus they look gorgeous. fender precision is nice all around bass.
  5. wrc fan macrumors 65816

wrc fan

Jan 19, 2003
    In a world where LPs are made like pancakes
    I've got an Ibanez SR300 and love it. I've played Fenders and a few other basses, but I just liked the feel of the Ibanez. Unfortunately I never play it anymore. Anyway, I'd recommend going down to the local guitar shop and trying them out, then go buy the model you like on ebay.
  6. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus

Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    I had a Fender Precision long, long ago. I sort of miss playing bass. :eek:
  7. aquajet macrumors 68020

Feb 12, 2005
    Perhaps the worst thing you could do is buy an axe off of ebay without examining and playing with it first. Nothing worse than receiving your shiny new/used bass guitar in a UPS box, only to be disappointed by some playability issue, the result of uneven frets, a tweak in the neck, or some electronics issue.

There are a number of new, good low-end basses available. Ibanez, Yamaha and Fender come to mind. With a bit more money, the Warwick "Rockbass" models made in the far east are superb instruments for the money, nearly as good as the four-digit German models. Don't take this as discounting a used instrument, but buying used over the internet, sight unseen, is risky business.

Find yourself a good shop, play with several different axes in your price range, ask the shop for a professional setup if necessary. Spend some time feeling out your options and it'll make your playing experience that much better.
  8. bartelby macrumors Core

Jun 16, 2004
    I've played many basses from £60 no name basses to £2000 Wals. I can honestly say the nicest bass I've played, in terms of comfort and ease of use, is a Dean Edge 4 that I got for £200 new.
    It's balanced perfectly, unlike a Precision. Active electronics that sound fantastic. A super nice neck.
    It's just great.
  9. 758 macrumors newbie

Jul 23, 2006
    ive got an Ibanez GSR200FM. I love it, I'd take Ibanez of Fender anyday.