Basso sound effect randomly heard

Discussion in 'macOS' started by apple_iBoy, Feb 7, 2007.

1. apple_iBoy macrumors 6502a

Recently I've noticed my mac pro playing the Basso sound effect every once in awhile, seemingly at random. It just happened a moment ago while I was Macrumors foruming, so I thought I'd see if anyone has some insight.

Running right now in my dock is Activity Monitor, Dashboard, iTunes, Safari, Mail, Address Book, Preview, and Chronosync. Connect360 is up in my menubar (xbox isn't on, though) and Quicksilver is running in the background. I'm connected to the net through Airport, and I'm using a bluetooth Mighty Mouse and Apple keyboard. My iPod is plugged in and mounted on the desktop.

My default alert sound is Pop. As far as I can figure out, I don't have anything running that should be giving me this Basso sound effect, and no window pops up or apps bounce in the Dock. The Basso sound doesn't happen too often, but I've noticed it probably 3 or 4 times this week.

Anyone have any ideas?

2. apple_iBoy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nope... haven't gotten new mail when I've heard Basso, and I have another sound set up for Mail anyway.

3. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

dllavaneras

Have you been using Microsoft Messenger by any chance? I've been getting random sounds as well during and after using it

4. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

If you haven't selected Basso as an alert sound in any of your running apps, I think I might be tempted to delete the sound and see if the random error changes to another sound or disappears entirely. You can find the Basso file here: HDD>System>Library>Sound. I'd save the Basso file in case you want to reinstall it later (i.e. if removing it doesn't solve the problem).

5. Dalbito macrumors newbie

Same problem with my MacBook

The same thing happens to me. Please post a solution if you find one as I've tried everything in the options and it's starting to get annoying.

6. TheBobcat macrumors 6502

TheBobcat

Maybe the computer is just ripping one. I always thought thats what basso sounded like anyway...well, maybe with a musical twist. Either way, cut it some slack, man.