Batch encoding movies.

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by stefmesman, Mar 27, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Hello dear MacRumors members!

i have a question, was searching the forum for a while, but didn't find a definitive answer, so heres my struggle.

I have an hard drive with various kinds of movies (around 1,5Tb) most of it is ripped dvd's/blurays or self created content.

Im on the verge of buying an Apple TV3, but i know that the apple tv won't play 90% of all my files, most is Proress422, AVCHD or MKV. Is there a way(program?) to batch convert my entire movie HDD to an apple tv friendly format?

thanks!

2. macrumors member

3. macrumors 68020

charlieegan3

if you run windows anywhere xilisoft is a good bet. very fast

4. macrumors 6502a

Cinematographer

5. thread starter macrumors 6502

for information, I'm on a mac. wouldn't handbrake take ages considering i have 1.4TB of data? 80% of my files is probably already H264. so it only would need a m4v mp4 or mov wrapper.

6. simsaladimbamba

Yes, and so would others, or do you want to lose quality and have a faster encoding process?

For .mts files, you could try the first few steps outlined here:
    Transcoding .MTS files (AVCHD footage) to an editable format (.MOV)

For .mkv files there will probably another solution, maybe the search function can help, unless someone chimes in.

7. macrumors newbie

8. macrumors 68030

Have you tried iFlicks or iVI? Might be exactly what you're looking for. iFlicks offer a two week trial as well...

9. macrumors 6502a

If it's already in 264, use Subler to repackage the video, audio, and chapter tracks into an .mp4 file. No encoding necessary, very fast. But I don't know that Subler has any batch option. I use Subler all the time to rescue H.264 streams from other containers for ATV viewing and it works great.

For any files you actually have to re-encode... and this might not apply, based on what you are describing, but in case it does... use Handbrake with its queueing function.