Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Old new, yes, but I never saw this before, so it's news to me! ;) :D

Check out the info here. The sequel will be out in 2008, and they may film 2 movies essentially back to back, a la the last 2 Matrix sequels (ick) and the Lord of the Rings movies (yay!) :cool:

Dr. Dastardly

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2004
I live in a giant bucket!
I was actually suprised that it Begins was that good. I knew it was going to be a far cry from the hack ridden... poo they tried to pass off as Batman movies before. Very much looking forward to the sequels.

But I'm confused, I don't keep up with the movie news but in the end of the last film I thought the sequel would have the Joker as the nemesis. Did they scrap that or are they doing both Joker and Two Face?

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Dr. Dastardly said:
I was actually suprised that it Begins was that good. I knew it was going to be a far cry from the hack ridden crap they tried to pass off as Batman movies before. Very much looking forward to the sequels.

I thought it would be pretty good since it was a) very dark, b) more true to the comic books (regarding Batman's history, etc.) and c) because Nolan was the director, but it even surpassed my expectations. Batman (1989) was my favorite one, just because it was so dark, and they did indeed get progressively worse. Begins is the best one by far though in my books. :cool:

Dr. Dastardly said:
But I'm confused, I don't keep up with the movie news but in the end of the last film I thought the sequel would have the Joker as the nemesis. Did they scrap that or are they doing both Joker and Two Face?

I don't think the reference to the Joker was necessarily an indication that he would be in the sequel. In fact, I kind of like the idea that "off screen" Batman does encounter the Joker, and maybe other nemeses - it's kind of cool to think that out there, there's the Joker, Scarecrow is still running around, etc. etc. I think that the sequel will just feature Two Face (as will the third installment as well from the sounds of things) but who knows for sure. I guess all I'm saying is that I'm definitely not expecting the Joker to be in the sequel. It would be tough to top Nicholson's performance anyway. :cool:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
I think the problem with having the Joker in the sequel is that the new makers of the Batman series already know that they'll never be able to top Jack Nicholson's portrayal of that character, and the entire movie will just be a comparison between it and the original with Jack. And of course it'll never meet expectations since people always think that it was better before, just like people always assume that music has gotten worse and it used to be better. Everyone thinks that.

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I saw this recently. I am overly excited...but then again, I usually am.
Maybe when it comes out I'll swap out the batman begins poster for the next one.

Piarco

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
Londinium
I'm gutted that I've got to wait until 2008! There was a bundle or rumours flying around after Begins came out around who would be playing the Joker in the sequel, as at that point it was a given that the character would feature in the film - the biggest names were Johnny Depp and Sean Penn...

I'll be checking http://www.joblo.com with regular interest to see how this news plays out...

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
Abstract said:
I think the problem with having the Joker in the sequel is that the new makers of the Batman series already know that they'll never be able to top Jack Nicholson's portrayal of that character, and the entire movie will just be a comparison between it and the original with Jack. And of course it'll never meet expectations since people always think that it was better before, just like people always assume that music has gotten worse and it used to be better. Everyone thinks that.

Yeah, I agree. I think it makes more sense to tackle a villain like Harvey Dent in the sequel, as they know they can do the character of Two Face more justice than Schumacher did in his lame attempt. :p :cool:

I also like how the villains in general weren't the focus of the movie. There was the Falconi, Raz, and Scarecrow, but the movie didn't focus on Batman simply battling them directly - it was more about Batman's inner demons and the whole thing was more character-driven as a result - I like how the villains were somewhat secondary in the film. Hopefully Nolan can capture the magic again for the sequels. :cool:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
2nyRiggz said:
Two face...damn they should of gone with a better villan. Tommy Lee jones and Jim Carey left a bad taste in my mouth with those villans.

Ah, but all the more reason then to do these villanis properly as they should have been done in the first place. :cool: It might make us forget about their previous, inferior incarnations altogether. ;)

2nyRiggz

macrumors 603
Aug 20, 2005
Thank you Jah...I'm so Blessed
~Shard~ said:
Ah, but all the more reason then to do these villanis properly as they should have been done in the first place. :cool: It might make us forget about their previous, inferior incarnations altogether. ;)

We can not forget them, they were created and is apart of the batman timeline so we are stuck with them no matter how awful they are. I would really like to see new villans except baine and the joker.

Bless

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
2nyRiggz said:
We can not forget them, they were created and is apart of the batman timeline so we are stuck with them no matter how awful they are. I would really like to see new villans except baine and the joker.

You do as you wish, but I refuse to acknowledge Schumacher's abominations as part of the Batman timeline. :p ;) :D

And this is Batman Begins, so can't we just consider this a fresh start? ;)

I agree though, seeing Baine would be cool. As for the Joker though, I do recognize the 1989 Batman, and I also recoginze that no one would ever be able to top Nicholson's performance. I'd prefer to see new villains over the Joker in the sequels. :cool:

SiliconAddict

macrumors 603
Jun 19, 2003
Chicago, IL
Dr. Dastardly said:
I was actually suprised that it Begins was that good. I knew it was going to be a far cry from the hack ridden... poo they tried to pass off as Batman movies before. Very much looking forward to the sequels.

HEY! The Burton's Batman and Batman Returns were good. It was only when Joel Schumacher came in and butchered the bat was when things turned ugly. That and Kilmer, Clooney weren't fit to hold Keaton’s codpiece

stevietheb

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2004
Houston
In the Special Features on the DVD, Nolan and others talk about how they more or less decided to scrap the storylines from the other Batman films and start the franchise anew. Therefore, like some others, I choose to reject all Batman movies except Batman Begins (2005) and Batman (1989). However, I must acknowledge that, even though I love Batman (1989), that story has nothing to do with what's going on in the current Batman movies. Therefore, anything can happen.

I agree with previous comments about Batman Begins being character driven and not focused on the villains. I'm not sure how that could be accomplished again. Where does Batman grow from here?

iGary

May 26, 2004
Randy's House
~Shard~ said:
Old new, yes, but I never saw this before, so it's news to me! ;) :D

Check out the info here. The sequel will be out in 2008, and they may film 2 movies essentially back to back, a la the last 2 Matrix sequels (ick) and the Lord of the Rings movies (yay!) :cool:

Please make it stop. :mad: :rolleyes:

~Shard~

macrumors P6
Original poster
Jun 4, 2003
SiliconAddict said:
HEY! The Burton's Batman and Batman Returns were good. It was only when Joel Schumacher came in and butchered the bat was when things turned ugly. That and Kilmer, Clooney weren't fit to hold Keaton’s codpiece

Coulnd't agree more, the Tim Burton ones were great. I have to admit, when it was first released I didn't like Batman Returns as much, even thoough I found it even darker than the first. But then compared to the Schumacher pieces of crap, it was great, just likethe first one! ;) :cool: And yes, Michael Keaton was the best Batman - until Bale, I would argue.

joker2

macrumors 6502a
Feb 19, 2003
DC area
~Shard~ said:
And this is Batman Begins, so can't we just consider this a fresh start? ;)

My thoughts exactly... a fresh start to the story, and many ways to take it from here. I really liked this take on it, the darkness... and that vehicle. Gotta get one of those. ;)

~Shard~ said:
I agree though, seeing Baine would be cool. As for the Joker though, I do recognize the 1989 Batman, and I also recoginze that no one would ever be able to top Nicholson's performance. I'd prefer to see new villains over the Joker in the sequels. :cool:

Burton's 1989 Batman and Batman Returns were good, never bothered seeing the rest after hearing how bad they were.

Having been bestowed my nick after Nicholson's performance, I don't think anyone can top it either. ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.