Batman: The Dark Knight

Discussion in 'Community' started by mischief, Jul 2, 2002.

1. mischief macrumors 68030

mischief

Anybody else embarassed by the Batman Movies?

I was thinking about casting and such and I figured the issue is that:

A: The movies have been marketed to Kids, which cripples the characterization and content (let's not forget that Bruce Wayne was genuinely NUTS in the comics).

B: The casting was for the Bruce Wayne aspect of the Character. In many respects there are 2 distinct characters to cast as there are 2 distinct personalities.

C: There has yet to be an adequately Dark and Twisted Gotham. Tim Burton got close but his unsuppressable whimsey got in the way.

I'd like to see (say) Terry Gilliam and/or Baz Luhrman (Romeo and Juliet, Moulin Rouge) Direct.

I can't come up with 1 Actor who could pull off both the role of Batman AND the role of Bruce Wayne so I came up with 2 that look similar enough to make it work. Bruce Wayne: Harry Connick Jr., Batman: Vin Diesel.

I'd LOVE to hear other theories and if anyone can figure out a Single Actor for both parts ( I don't like Connick) Please post your thoughts.

2. Dignan macrumors 6502a

Dignan

A younger, buffer alec baldwin. He has the dark hair, the playboy looks, and by god, he has the voice!

3. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

I'm gonna go with Brad Pitt...

he's got the debonaire, cocky thing going on...

but can get quite nuts & eccentric at the tip of a hat... ;)

4. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

Well if we're gonna go there......

I could say the same about Rutger Hauer from Blade Runner.

Or if you could get rid of his pony-tail Steven Segal too.

That first scene in Tim Burton's Batman with that thug hanging by his neck: With Micheal Keaton it was funny.... With Rutger Hauer It'd be creepy. :D

5. eyelikeart Moderator emeritus

eyelikeart

Re: Well if we're gonna go there......

u would have to get rid of about 30 lbs too...:rolleyes:

6. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

Re: Well if we're gonna go there......

I was thinking Rutger Hauer right after reading the first post/thread starter... I think he could pull it off real well...

I think they need to do one of the Batman VS films... maybe put him up against either the Aliens or Predators (since he has taken on both in the comics). Love the Dark Horse books, and how, well Dark they are.. :D Dead bodies are piled up like cord wood.. :D My kind of flick... muahahahahahahahahaaa

7. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

How about Gary Oldman. Then we'd really get a dark knight. I'm a big fan of the comics but I haven't bought any for a couple of years now.

The halloween specials of Jeph Loeb, drawn by Tim Sale would make for FANTASTIC adaptations.

I want a Batman that is substantially darker than that of Burton, even. I also want a lot of plot. A really substantial story like Loeb's Long Halloween would be the best possible outcome for the next Batman. I hope to God they don't get some pretty boy like George Cluny next time.

8. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

And what about the villians....

The first movie was far and away the best of the series. Jack Nicholson was wonderful and came the closest to matching the comic book with his portral of the Joker. Tommy Lee Jones as Two Face was just sad.

In the movies so far, Batman has just been the title character. The focus was really the villians. I hope Year One will be so much more. According to upcomingmovies.com (via Corona) Brendan Fehr (from WB's Roswell) is the rumored front runner for the title role.

There are currently three Batman properties in the works - Batman: Year One, Batman Beyond, and Catwoman

9. sparkleytone macrumors 68020

sparkleytone

the guy who played wolverine in XMen. also known as the next Clint Eastwood

10. ejb190 macrumors 65816

ejb190

11. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

Upcoming Movies is a great site. One of my daily visits.

The problem isn't as much with the actors.. but with the god awful scripts and incompetent directors. George Clooney could have been great... and I think gary oldman is a interesting idea... personally I would root for a non-star as well... maybe a Guy Pearce, Matthew McConaughey or hell even Kevin Kline.

However I would bet that none of these guys would even consider touching this franchise. As any actor worth his salt would wany something with substance and wants to pay a interesting character... not some idiot wearing vinyl nipples :)

Tim Sale and Alan Moore has done some good work and I im sure there is going to be another movie but they want to sell toys. Not make good movies. Heck... look at spiderman. That is probably the worst superhero movie ever.. but they are making a sequel or two...

History repeats itself, Baby!!

Good Times.

C-

12. AlphaTech macrumors 601

AlphaTech

If they were to hold true to the comics, I am fairly certain that Batman's suit is made from leather, or some high-tech fabric, and is NOT vinyl. Another reason why I want them to make the Batman vs Predator film... he gets f*cked up in that one... :D Shows how he really is human after all. :D

Why they ever put the nipples on it is beyond me, must have been for the teenie boppers... :eek: :eek: :p

13. ShaolinMiddleFinger macrumors 6502a

ShaolinMiddleFinger

I personally feel that Val Kilmer had made a good Batman. Batman Forever sucked, though...and so did Batman and Robin. The first one was the best one. Batman Returns was alright.

Even though he's already doing Daredevil, I say Ben Affleck would do a good job. Get Kevin Smith to do the script and you got a well made story.

BTW, did anyone read the Superman Lives script by Kevin Smith. It was cool, there was a rumor going around that Batman was gonna have a cameo in the that movie and it was supposedly gonna be Michael Keaton...how cool would that have been. But that was just rumor and it was squashed...

14. D0ct0rteeth macrumors 65816

D0ct0rteeth

I have the script and the batman part is real cheesy and borderline stupid.

The script is nothing compared to his work on daredevil... if you dig kevin smith check out his work on daredevil. good stuff.

His superman had some good pieces but overall needs help.

C-

15. Dunepilot macrumors 6502a

Dunepilot

I also get really pissed off with comic -> film adaptations in general.

They spend 75% of the film explaining to you who the character is, when EVERYONE in the cinema already knows, then you get a paltry ten minute rescue plot at the end of the film.

This is where I think the Loeb/Sale stuff would make for a refreshing change from this horrible formulaic filmmaking. If you did a 2.5 - 3 hour film pitched at grown-ups with a murder-mystery element as in the Long Halloween, and the associated spin-offs people would love it.

This needn't mean the film companies lose out on the kids' money. Several franchises have shown so far that you can sell toys related to a film for adults. Beetlejuice and the Matrix immediately spring to mind.

Just for God's sake, let there be a plot, PLEASE!

16. mischief thread starter macrumors 68030

mischief

It's a total feel thing but:

The fact stands that there has yet to be cast, an actor physically LARGE enough to live up to Bruce Wayne. He was supposed to be well over six foot and approachin three hundred pounds!! Gary Oldman's a shrimp, Micheal Keaton looked like a Midgit in that costume fer gods' sakes! Gary Oldman as Joker I could see.

I had forgotten about Val Kilmer, Yes he did VERY well with a poor script. If Batman wasn't an established White guy I'd suggest Snipes. Honestly for the 40 ish Dark Knight version Tommy Lee Jones would work quite well but the overall mass and speed still wouldn't be right.

I stick by my original suggestion of Vin Diesel.;)