Batteries and the Wii...

Discussion in 'Games' started by Chone, Dec 25, 2006.

1. Chone macrumors 65816

Chone

Aren't these batteries running out pretty fast? I mean I think its like 20-30 hours if you use motion (which most games use extensively) but then again companies always overshoot their battery ratings and I bet games that use motion constantly drain the battery even more (say like Elebits), What are your experiences changing batteries? If this is a change every week problem then Nintendo isn't being very nice to the enviroment... or the customer, buying batteries is annoying.

And for that matter, what are some good rechargeable batteries? I think I might get some when I finally get a Wii... eventually :rolleyes:

2. echeck macrumors 68000

echeck

I finally had to replace the batteries in both my Wiimotes yesterday after easily a good 45-50 hours on each controller. Not too bad if you ask me.

As for rechargeable batteries, you could just suffer through regular batteries until January when you can get your hands on one of these.

3. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

I bought a set of rechargable 2500mah Energizers that work like a charm. They charge in a couple of hours.

4. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

I have to say, I've noticed that Zelda eats batteries for breakfast while Wii Sports doesn't really. I think its due to Wii Sports not using the pointer functionality most of the time while Zelda leaves it switched on.

I think I'll be picking up a couple of those as soon as they come out. There was me originally thinking I'd stick to just two wiimotes and nunchucks. Four wiimotes later...

5. xparaparafreakx macrumors 65816

Yes Zelda does eat AA batteries for breakfast, lunch and dinner. When I bought my Wii, I bought like oh 20+ batteries for it and going to buy A, those joytech recharable or B, USB AA batteries.

6. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I've been playing with my Wii controller in XP for a while now (mapped controls for HL2, Sam etc... might even release a specially designed Wii controller game.) and the batteries have dropped to 95%. I think they started off at 97.5% and this is with vibration on. I can see these going quickly so I'm off to pick up the biggest rechargeable mHa batteries tomorrow.

7. mikeyPotg macrumors 6502

I've noticed my wiimotes eating up batteries more than I'd like, but I can understand why. The thing vibrates and makes sounds at each chance it gets. Simple things like typing out a message has the wiimote vibrating while the cursor moves over every single letter/number.
    But I think its awesome and I'll definitely get that wiimote charger when its available.

8. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

Just buy good rechargeable batteries and you're set. No need to keep going out and getting batteries which you'll eventually have to throw away. :)

9. kaltsasa macrumors 6502a

Go to Walmart and grab a Rayovac Hybrid Charger w/ AA's. Will run you something like 15 bucks and they are low self discharge, very robust batteries. Plus AA's are a standard you can use them in a lot of things and nab from a lot of things vs. proprietary battery packs(that are essentially rechargeable AA's in a case). I would suggest the lower mAh Hybrids over say 2500 mAh Energizers because the high capacity NIMH's have a tendency to develop significant self discharge. It seems that over 23-2400 mAh the procedure used to stuff that extra capacity in there creates a less robust battery.

10. CubeHacker macrumors 65816

CubeHacker

Turning off the rumble feature seems to help battery life a LOT. As mentioned before, the game you play makes a huge difference too. Red Steel killed my batteries fast, especially with rumble turned on.

11. timmillwood macrumors 6502a

They are for sale HERE

12. Mackilroy macrumors 68040

Mackilroy

I have four 2500 mAh AAs and they're quite robust, thankyouverymuch. :p

13. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

I bought a 4 pack of 2500 mAh AAs from Enigizer with a charger. I was all happy, until I needed to charge "2" of them. The DAM CHARGER only works if all 4 is in place.. *grumbles*

Just trying to kill the other Wiimote now, so I can charge my freaking batteries, but these 2500s are lasting toooooo long. :cool:

That JoyTech Wii PowerStation looks great. It's similar to the one I had for my old GBA.

<]=)

14. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

No, actually, there's a way you can get two batteries to recharge. I can't remember exactly how, but I believe it's either the two left slots or the two right slots.

15. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

On a side note, I love the return to the GBA style AA battery compartment. Nice touch.

16. seenew macrumors 68000

seenew

I got 8 NiMh AA's and a charger for Christmas. I'm set. :D

17. Kevin83165 macrumors regular

Whoa! All this time I have been having to charge mine by four as well but I just experimented. If I put 2 batteries in the middle of my charger it will charge just two!

What would I do without the internet :)

18. JackAxe macrumors 68000

JackAxe

Thanks, you're my best friend now. :D I can't believe I didn't try that combination. I tried both in the middle slots, then the outer slots, but not the left 2 or right 2.

I wrote all 4 is in place. My grammar is bad, bud that was a lame mistake on my part. :eek: I blame it on my full belly.

<]=)

19. Mavimao macrumors 6502a

Mavimao

20. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

Both my wii motes have had battery replaced, about 20 hours is all they lasted in mine.

21. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

I need a second to enjoy my Cassandra moment - from back in September when I was like, "why aren't the remotes rechargeable? They'll eat batteries!" and lots of people went, "whatevr LOL!!!1"

...ah, OK, done, thanks. Like probably everybody else, I got a 4 2500mAh + charger pack ahead of time (mine's a Sony, which has some irony). Just on my first recharge after draining one set; they not only held up better than the pack-ins but also gave accurate charge readings in the remote menu.

I had been really big on "Nintendo should make the remotes rechargeable," e.g. plug-in to the console for juice a la the competition. However, I don't think the upcoming third-party charger is the best solution. You have to put in custom (read: won't fit right under the cover) battery packs, then put the thing into a separate bulky charger. 4 2500mAh AAs + charger are not only smaller and more versatile, but roughly $10 cheaper than the MSRP on the Wii product. Don't hold out for it.