Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
hello people in setting app the battery app the last 24 hrs says messenger 39 minutes in background but I did not even open messenger at all. I restarted the phone and click setting then battery it showed messenger 39 minutes background could it be reading wrong information the iPhone battery app in settings ?

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Messenger app seeems have some features being activated in background regardless.

And, restart phone can stop the number growing but cannot reset that number.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
hello people in setting app the battery app the last 24 hrs says messenger 39 minutes in background but I did not even open messenger at all. I restarted the phone and click setting then battery it showed messenger 39 minutes background could it be reading wrong information the iPhone battery app in settings ?

Are you referring to FB Messenger? If so its a bug with FB. Even if you fully close the app and have background refresh off, it is still running in the background. I keep reporting the bug to FB and they have released 4 updates and it is still occurring. What has worked for me (sometimes) Is opening the app, hold the lock button until you get the slide to power off, then hold home button until app quits. This is truly killing it off in the background, but next time you opening the app, the issue will just start up again.

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
App background refresh is off and the app is fully closed and yes FB messenger

So, you are just experiencing the background bug that I am definitely experiencing. If you notice the battery draining faster because of it, just make sure when you are done with the app to force quit it via the method I described. Its the only way to completely kill it off, well without deleting the app.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
So, you are just experiencing the background bug that I am definitely experiencing. If you notice the battery draining faster because of it, just make sure when you are done with the app to force quit it via the method I described. Its the only way to completely kill it off, well without deleting the app.
Only happens on the iPhone 6s Plus not my iPad Air 2 the battery drops 8% without me using it on the 6s plus

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I do use FB messenger from time to time. Maybe I need this practice also to kill it off.

Reactions: Alexrat1996

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Only happens on the iPhone 6s Plus not my iPad Air 2 the battery drops 8% without me using it on the 6s plus

39 minutes of background usage should not cause an 8% battery drain on a 6s+. There could be other things affecting your battery as well.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Did you receive any Messenger push notifications sent from other people throughout the day regardless of you opening the app or not?

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
So I'm having the FB messenger bug you have that's why I see 39 minutes background on FB messager in the battery app in settings
Well, it's not the battery app, but simply the battery section of settings. It lists things over a period of time. Did you use FB Messenger at some point in the last 24 hours at all? When was the last time you used it or got a message notification from it?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Nope I have it tuned off notification from Facebook
Your circumstances are exactly identical to mine. Notifications off, app closed, background refresh off, yet there is still background usage. So thats the bug of the app. The 8% battery drain I am not experiencing. Especially after only 39 minutes.

When you say 8% battery drain, are you referring to 8% in the settings app, or you have seen your device gone from 92%->84% during that 39 minutes. If its the former, its not really 8% battery drain, thats just 8% of usage over the last 24 hours. Not your current charge cycle.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Well, it's not the battery app, but simply the battery section of settings. It lists things over a period of time. Did you use FB Messenger at some point in the last 24 hours at all? When was the last time you used it or got a message notification from it?
Nope never opened but it does not happen on my iPad Air 2
[doublepost=1472518651][/doublepost]
Your circumstances are exactly identical to mine. Notifications off, app closed, background refresh off, yet there is still background usage. So thats the bug of the app. The 8% battery drain I am not experiencing. Especially after only 39 minutes.

When you say 8% battery drain, are you referring to 8% in the settings app, or you have seen your device gone from 92%->84% during that 39 minutes. If its the former, its not really 8% battery drain, thats just 8% of usage over the last 24 hours. Not your current charge cycle.
I seen that at some point

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Interesting. I have messenger but never use it. Looking through my battery stats it doesn't even make the list.

If you aren't opening the app at all then this is just as much of a bug with iOS as it is with Messenger. There is some "rule breaking" going on here. There shouldn't be a 3rd party task automatically running in the background without some sort of user intervention.
Odd. I use actually FB Messenger app here and there and don't see anything like that. In fact I'm sure I've used it once or twice in the last 7 days, but it doesn't even appear on the list of app using 1% or more of battery in that section for some reason.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Nope I have it tuned off notification from Facebook

Interesting. I have messenger but never use it. Looking through my battery stats it doesn't even make the list.

If you aren't opening the app at all then this is just as much of a bug with iOS as it is with Messenger. There is some "rule breaking" going on here. There shouldn't be a 3rd party task automatically running in the background without some sort of user intervention.

Reactions: BigMcGuire

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA

Will they ever fix the bug at all ? Should I not fix it since I'm ordering the 7 in two weeks
[doublepost=1472518909][/doublepost]
Odd. I use actually FB Messenger app here and there and don't see anything like that. In fact I'm sure I've used it once or twice in the last 7 days, but it doesn't even appear on the list of app using 1% or more of battery in that section for some reason.
Mines says number 29% music app then 13% messenger

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008

Its no different than when FB had this issue a year ago with the launch of iOS 9. The issue use when you close the app, its not actually killing off the background processes. Its not 'listening' to the background refresh tab and is just continuing to run in the background. They ultimately fixed it with FB, but its still happening with Messenger. Doesn't really have anything to do with iOS.

Reactions: Alexrat1996

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Its no different than when FB had this issue a year ago with the launch of iOS 9. The issue use when you close the app, its not actually killing off the background processes. Its not 'listening' to the background refresh tab and is just continuing to run in the background. They ultimately fixed it with FB, but its still happening with Messenger. Doesn't really have anything to do with iOS.
Doesn't quite seem to be consistent though between users/devices (similar to how the FB issue wasn't quite consistent either), which makes it all that much stranger/trickier.

Last edited:

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
Doesn't quite seem to be consistent though between users/devices (similar to how the FB issue wasn't quite consistent either), which makes it all that stranger/trickier.

Completely agree. It occurs on my 6s but not my Air 2. So its hard to diagnose the issue. OP, try submitting a bug report to FB via the messenger app. If more people do it, they may work on it.

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012

For Messeger to run in the background the app is likely receiving a remote notification to enable background mode. However he said he had notifications off so the app shouldn't be getting triggered.

EDIT : Sorry reread the previous post. OP under settings > notifications do you have messenger notifications turned off?

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
For Messeger to run in the background the app is likely receiving a remote notification to enable background mode. However he said he had notifications off so the app shouldn't be getting triggered.

EDIT : Sorry reread the previous post. OP under settings > notifications do you have messenger notifications turned off?
It's turned off
[doublepost=1472524083][/doublepost]Update I went to the folder where I have messenger uninstalled the app and reinstalled it
[doublepost=1472524460][/doublepost]Still show in setting and in battery
[doublepost=1472525052][/doublepost]3D Touch is annoying when tried to delete an app 3D Touch I triggered in app when I tried to deleted messenger

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
It's turned off
[doublepost=1472524083][/doublepost]Update I went to the folder where I have messenger uninstalled the app and reinstalled it
[doublepost=1472524460][/doublepost]Still show in setting and in battery
[doublepost=1472525052][/doublepost]3D Touch is annoying when tried to delete an app 3D Touch I triggered in app when I tried to deleted messenger
Things will still show up in settings and battery usage, that's normal.

As for 3D Touch, you simply touch and hold rather than pressing.

Alexrat1996

macrumors 601
Original poster
Mar 29, 2015
Lehigh valley PA
Update after I deleted it it shows in battery setting 24 hrs recently deleted app 46% that was messenger and I reinstalled app

46% what can cause that
[doublepost=1472742925][/doublepost]Look at photo now

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    251.8 KB · Views: 128
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.