Battery care for new iPod photo

Discussion in 'iPod' started by hikeNM, May 14, 2005.

1. hikeNM macrumors 6502a

Just got a new iPod photo and was wondering if there are any procedures to follow when charging and discharging the battery for the first time. I know laptop batteries have a certain way to charge and discharge for the first time. Do iPod's also? The manual doesn't say anything like that, just to charge it.

Thanks

2. iGary Guest

iGary

Before doing anything else, plug it into the AC adapter and allow it to reach a full charge before using it.

Read the manual while it is charging. ;)

3. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

4. Warbrain macrumors 603

Warbrain

Remember that after you charge it for the first time (and even during the first time) don't charge it inside of a case. The heat build-up that can occur will, over time, cause the battery to lose a bit of it's charge.

5. iGary Guest

iGary

No. I do try and run mine down almost all the way every couple of months and then give it a recharge on AC to keep the electrons in the battery moving around, but besides that, enjoy the 15 hours of playtime, sometimes more.

Cheers.

6. hikeNM thread starter macrumors 6502a

7. devilot Moderator emeritus

devilot

Sorry to revive this thread but...

I just got a 4GB white nano and I vow to baby this thing... just how bad is it to not do a full charge the first time? I ask because I'm sort of 'on-the-move' today and don't think I can settle down for a full 3 hours to charge it.

8. the_freddinator macrumors regular

I know when I got my iPod, I only let it charge about...1/2 at the most. I haven't experienced any problems as of yet (2 months later).