battery charge on my new 11" Air...

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by Slugo, Oct 2, 2011.

1. macrumors newbie

Slugo

lucky to get 2 hours plus. Just bought the computer about a month ago at our local Apple Store in Lancaster, PA. Love it, but the battery is rated for 5 hours. That's a laugher! Anyway, I'm running Lion and I hear it's a battery hog.

Any help or words of wisdom is appreciated... :confused:

2. macrumors 6502a

What are you doing for those 2 hours?

3. simsaladimbamba

image below uses sorting by CPU as an example
    [​IMG]
    Further reading:
    ______________________________________________________​

4. thread starter macrumors newbie

Slugo

I'm just doing some misc. net surfing. No downloads, picture files or lots of streaming video. I have an iPad for watching that stuff. Actually, just building up my bookmarks with what I like. That's it in a nutshell...

5. simsaladimbamba

Have you read that Battery FAQ yet? Have you looked at Activity Monitor yet?

6. thread starter macrumors newbie

Slugo

not yet, but I will. Thanks guys...

7. macrumors G4

What is your brightness setting? 5 hours is an overstatement, but you should easily get 3.5+ hours based on what you describe. I was on a 4 hour flight recently and used up about 2/3 of the battery in about 2.5 hours of usage, including accessing the on-board Wi-Fi. I normally leave brightness at 50% and let the ambient light sensor do its thing.

8. macrumors 6502a

GekkePrutser

This has come up before, but new MBA's out of the box will do a complete index of the drive. Because the drive is so fast, they can work really hard at it and thus burn a lot of CPU cycles for the first few days.

It'll probably settle down just fine. I was getting 4 hours even under heavy use (VMWare) on my 2011 11" Air, while at the same time surfing the web etc.

Edit: Oh sorry I see it's a month old now. It should really have settled down then. Make sure you check out the battery health with Coconutbattery. Maybe it's not right.

9. thread starter macrumors newbie

Slugo

Thanks again for all your help...

I'll check on the battery health. I'm still using the computer on the factory settings. Didn't change a thing. I'm on my iPad right now and recharging the Air. I'll report back, and thank you all... Mike

10. macrumors 6502a

Did you install flash? 2 hours is low for just net surfing. You should be close to the advertised 5 if that really is all your are doing.

11. thread starter macrumors newbie

Slugo

yes, Flash is installed... :confused:

12. macrumors member

I have the 2011 13" MacBook Air and have found that in general sites with Flash on them will only give me about 3 hours worth of battery compared with around 6-7 hours.

13. macrumors 6502a

IngerMan

Install Click to Flash under Safari extensions. That will give you some battery usage time.

14. macrumors 6502

streaming video is whats killing your battery life. 5 hours+ is true when you lightly web browse and type on word

15. thread starter macrumors newbie

Slugo

I just installed 'Click to Flash'. Hopefully, it will help... :eek:

16. macrumors 6502

I think 7 hours is just what they say, you can't actually expect that long, I'd say 4 hours is a safe bet, though 5 and 6 hours do happen.

17. thread starter macrumors newbie

Slugo

Apple estimates 5 hours of usable time. I'm now running i off of direct AC current during the day and disconnecting at night. I will use the battery every third day and then deplete it per Apple instructions. I don't need to be running wireless all the time. We'll see how it works out...

18. macrumors 6502a

I get about 6 hours on my MBA 11.6" with light usage which is consistent with anandtechs testing. Using flash reduces battery times by about 2 hours.